Photo

Yellow Relay Issue

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tim B

Tim B

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

Hi all, wonder if i might be able to get some assistance.

My yellow relay stopped working recently. The car would not start up when it was in place. Bridging TIS pins 5 and 3 allows the car to crank, after which it runs smoothly.

I bought a yellow relay from a member of these forums in the netherlands, however i am having issues. As soon as i turn the key the engine starts cranking without pressing the dash starter button.

I have tested the wires on the socket to the engine earth with the relay removed and have the following information:

pin 2 - constant ground

pin 3 - constant ground

pin 6 - switched ground via button

pin 5 - 12v

pin 4 - 12v via key

pin 9 - 9v

Any suggestions? What could be the issue here?

#2 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, performance fossil fuel burning

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

Yep the good old yellow relay issue. Unless anyone has another opinion I believe it's a Lotus specific relay and you just need to get another. I do seem to recall someone using another type but there is no protection for the starter should someone press the button when the engine is running (unlikely)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

#3 Tim B

Tim B

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, im considering doing the grey relay mod, but would prefer to have it working as intended. As such, i spent near £150 on this new relay and am a little disapointed that it does not seem to be working. What i am trying to work out is if the new relay i have bought is at fault or the car.

The starter button seems to be doing as i would expect in a continuity test, but the relay is ignoring it. Additionally, removing the ecu pin from the socket does not change the behaviour.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:55 AM

There used to be someone who hand made an equivalent on a circuit board I think.

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

The batman may have a stash of these

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

The batman may have a stash of these

I have one, where are you if you want to test Tim? If you do a search some chap in Holland was building these I'm sure

#7 Tim B

Tim B

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

Ivor, that would be great! Im in Andover, so could be a bit of a trek though. The one i bought was from a guy in holland, from this forum. Probably the same guy people keep thinking about.

#8 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

Why don't you contact the guy you bought it from then.
He may know what's going on if he was able to develop them.

#9 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

http://www.vx220.org...er-relay/page-5

"Richard Hoogeveen" is the guy selling them.

Edited by 2-20, 22 June 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#10 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

Ivor, that would be great! Im in Andover, so could be a bit of a trek though. The one i bought was from a guy in holland, from this forum. Probably the same guy people keep thinking about.

Or try yours in another car? Must be someone closer?

#11 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, contact the guy as Richard will for sure help you out.

(after you tested the relay on another car...)

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, contact the guy as Richard will for sure help you out.

(after you tested the relay on another car...)

Gonzales is handling the customer side.

The Dutch relay has been replaced, so there are now issues with the oem and 2 dutch ones on this car.
At this point the rest needs further investigation i think.

Edited by smiley, 22 June 2020 - 06:28 PM.

#13 Tim B

Tim B

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:13 PM

Hey Smiley, i did wonder what the relation was when i stumbled upon the thread about a month back.

The oem relay worked fine up until its death a month back. The first and second relays that Gonzales sent me both have the same characteristic of starting the car when the key is turned. Unfortunately Gonzales seems to have stopped responding to me after having decided that my car is at fault. Which is why i have turned to the forums.

He believes that there must be a problem between TIS pins 3 and 5. However, as above, pin 3 is connected to ground constantly and pin 5 is 12v constantly. When i bridge these with the key out of the ignition, the engine cranks. If i put his relay in, the car does not crank, so it must be normally open - which is correct. But as soon as the key is turned it starts up. Additionally, TIS pin 6 is connected to ground only when the starter button is pressed, so the starter button is not telling the relay to start up. Im at a bit of a loss. If anyone has suggestions of tests i could do to prove the fault, i would appreciate it.

Ivor, assuming noone closer is able to assist, if you would be willing to provide me with a test bed i would appreciate it? i could save you the trip.

#14 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

Hey Smiley, i did wonder what the relation was when i stumbled upon the thread about a month back.

The oem relay worked fine up until its death a month back. The first and second relays that Gonzales sent me both have the same characteristic of starting the car when the key is turned. Unfortunately Gonzales seems to have stopped responding to me after having decided that my car is at fault. Which is why i have turned to the forums.

He believes that there must be a problem between TIS pins 3 and 5. However, as above, pin 3 is connected to ground constantly and pin 5 is 12v constantly. When i bridge these with the key out of the ignition, the engine cranks. If i put his relay in, the car does not crank, so it must be normally open - which is correct. But as soon as the key is turned it starts up. Additionally, TIS pin 6 is connected to ground only when the starter button is pressed, so the starter button is not telling the relay to start up. Im at a bit of a loss. If anyone has suggestions of tests i could do to prove the fault, i would appreciate it.

Ivor, assuming noone closer is able to assist, if you would be willing to provide me with a test bed i would appreciate it? i could save you the trip.

Of course, I could post you my good relay after checking it in my car?

#15 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:30 PM

It's oem and is/was new, the relay was not the fault ( was pushed back pins in the relay block), I'd want the relay back though

#16 Tim B

Tim B

• 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

Ahh, i see. you have a spare you could lend me? even better, that would save me a trip. I have sent you a message.

#17 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

The Dutch guys tried to make sure the relay is a behavioural replica of the oem.
Weather or not they got it right 100% if something else is acting up i am not sure. (start button wiring issue front to back?)

Let's see what Ivor's oem replacement does.

Please update this thread when you have news.

edit:

If Ivor's relay breaks, i would suggest to stop experimenting with the yellow ones, as they are like hen's teeth.

Vocky posted a grey relay conversion (which are cheap and readily available), which could be interesting.

http://www.vx220.org...w-starter-relay

Edited by smiley, 22 June 2020 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users