Photo

Aux / Alternator Belt And Pulley Question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:22 AM

Morning Folks,

I've tried to Google, search the forums, and asked on the Facebook group but as yet can't find the answer...

Question for the experts out there...

I recently purchased a 35k mileage VX220 turbo and decided to replace the alternator/auxiliary belt. The old belt appeared in good order with no tears or damage and I quickly removed it without any fuss... But, when fitting the new one I noticed that the belt has 5 ribs, but the guide pulley (which sits where the aircon would be) has 6 grooves... so, should the belt sit on the inner 5 grooves (closer to the cambelt cover) or the outer 5 grooves (closest to the wheel arch)... or do I have the wrong parts 🤔

#2 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

I’m fairly sure there is only meant to be 5 grooves in the original alternator pulley to fit the 5PK belt. Maybe yours has been changed at some point?

#3 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:29 PM

I would say 5 grooves too.

#4 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

Thanks guys. I phoned vauhall, they didn't have the OE part in stock but they gave me the part number and I ran it through Google... all the results show me 6 groove pulleys.

Is anyone with a turbo able to have a look at their car if its not too much trouble?

#5 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

Just checked for you and the turbo defiantly has 5 ribs and NOT 6

#6 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

Just checked for you and the turbo defiantly has 5 ribs and NOT 6

Thanks. Do you mean 5 ribs on the belt? That is what I have and is consistent with all the searches I have done.

My original pulley had 6 grooves but I removed the old belt without keeping a record of where it sat. I have been sent a picture by another member who had the same on his car. He took a photo of the belt placement prior to the change and the belt was mounted on the outer 5 grooves - i.e. the groove nearest the engine was empty.

I ordered a new OE Gates Pulley and it arrived today. It also has 6 grooves and I am going to fit it as described above.

Hopefully this info will be useful is anyone else notices the same issue when changing their aux belt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users