Misfire Gone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Soren

Soren

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

Recently I had the open cone air filter fitted on my Speedster Turbo when I bought it replaced with the original filterbox. Being my commuter ride it was simply a little too... noisy...

First impression was sort of "what the heck happened to the sound, -everything almost gone, sounds more civilized like a family car", -and then of cause I could hear a bunch of new rattles etc.

The engine seemed to run more smoothly as the "coughing" it could have under moderate to high load at 2500-3000 RPM was gone (guess there was some turbulence in the air duct with the open filter).

With the new sound track I also got my focus on something sounding like misfire on one cyllinder, or at least that was my hope, if mechanical I should probably start saving up some money for repair.

This morning I removed the col pack, and found it a little greasy/oily on two of the rubber tubes sticking out. I removed all of those, and cleaned inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, refitted, and now it just runs smoothly, and acceleration is much smoother than it used to be. Issue seems to have been caused by current leak inside the rubber tubes.

Now there is just all the rattles, but so far, I had a really enjoyable ride to work this morning :happy:

-Søren

#2 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

presumably the camcover gasket has failed then?

#3 Soren

Soren

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

Could be the case. Top of the engine is a little oil sprayed.

#4 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:00 AM

Yup.  Rocker(Cam) cover gasket or the rocker cover itself has warped.  I had this and bought a 2nd hand rocker cover (which turned out to be warped also)!

#5 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Horse blimey not good. Did you use sealant when you finally did replace it as well as a new gasket or not? There seems to be multiple opinions. Steve Giglielmi told me not to use sealant but all the guides I have found have said to either use sealant ro hold.it in place, just sealant around where the end of the ams are too sealant along the back mby the turbo or sealant on the whole lot!

#6 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

When I replaced my gasket the original had been fitted with sealant all around so I replaced in similar fashion.

#7 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Oblomov I will do that as i have purchased the sealant too. Just need to remember how to jack these things up to get at the cambelt cover bolts its been a while. I wish Steve Guglielmi had done it for me to be honest but he is such a nice chap he didn't want to add to the service cost!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users