Seatbelt Top Bolt Required!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

Hi- does anyone have a top seatbelt bolt please? Or know if they are the same as any other bolt etc? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

#2 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:38 PM

7/16” UNF thread x 1” long, easily obtained on eBay. I have one, but the thread is a bit worn, so not ideal. 😊

#3 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:40 PM

Thats awesome thanks!

#4 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:37 PM

Are these the bolts with a very shallow domed hex head?  If so I have some old unused Jaguar ones, would just need to check the thread tomorrow.  If they are the right size then you are welcome to a couple.

#5 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

Have looked in my bolt bottle and have three pairs of what look like top mount seatbelt bolts.  All are 0.430mm od, all are 20 tpi, all are shallow head, one pair has 1" long thread, one pair has 1.25" long thread and one pair has 1" long thread plus plain shank 13mm od x 8mm long.  Sorry to mix my metrics and Imperials.  What does slightly bother me is that my Zeus says that a UNF fine 7/16" should measure 0.4375mm...............  anyway, if any of these are of use please let me know.

#6 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I have been working every hour but will have a check on saturday thanks peeps 👍

#7 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

Ok- so I bought a 7/16 bolt but due to the tight fit of the harness bar it has stripped this too!
I have now made the harness bar holes slightly wider so it won't happen again, and u have also had to add a small washer to the back of each bolt to stop ot catching on the seatbelt- otherwise it doesn't retract.
Is there a longer bolt with a slightly thicker thread i could force in as they seem to just spin rather than get tight now.
The overall length needs to be 2 inches really, but can be slightly more as the excess will be lost in the pillar recess.
Thanks in advance- I'm gutted as it seems I have made the car unusable!!

#8 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:30 PM

Oh dear, that is a bit of a disaster.  Bearing in mind that a life may depend on how you now deal with this it seems to me unlikely that you will get much sound advice without even a picture to help inform opinion.  Bodging an oversize bolt into a stripped thread would not fill me with confidence.  You may be able to get away with a thread insert of some sort but it may be necessary to weld and tap a new thread into the hole, remember it has to pass an MOT inspection.  I think you should take it to somebody who has the facilities to make a properly engineered repair that will pass the MOT and which you know will not pull out in the event of, heaven forfend, a serious accident. 

#9 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

Hi- I've just spoken to the local garage that said they could sort it out. They gave me a load of technical info that went above my head, in relation to it being a seatbelt bolt but ultimately she should live on! (And so will I in the unforeseen event of a crash!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users