Cat6A Cable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Anybody know of any decent value suppliers of Cat6a (or possibly even Cat7) bulk cable. Must be the real stuff and not any of that shitty aluminium coated in copper stuff. Need to wire up the new extension and reckon I'll probably need a couple of 305m boxes, or maybe half a dozen 100m reels for ease of installation.

#2 walkes

walkes

for one night only, live at the appollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:42 PM

What you need 10Gbit wire for?

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

I probably don't for 90% of the time but both of my Dell servers and my main workstation are equipped with 10Gbit NIC's, as are my two switches, so it would seem stupid to not leverage those and future proof things here whilst I've got relatively easy access for the sake of an extra hundred pounds in cable.

I'll be running HDMI over Ethernet to the new rooms plus 4k streams from the Plex server on one of the aforementioned servers to any of the TV's. 4k security cameras etc. That's before I get to work related stuff with big data dumps and backups shifting around the network. If it wasn't for pesky mobile devices, I'd hardwire everything and get shot of WiFi entirely.

#4 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

I floodwired my house with some boxed cat 5&6 from TLC and got my patch cables from MrTronic on Amazon.

Use it for 4K tv, gaming, squuezebox flac etc and all been great, but get good quality wall sockets.

I bought some cheapos and ended up snapping as connected the patch cables. MK or Crabtree are boss.

#5 walkes

walkes

for one night only, live at the appollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

Got shielded cat6a from Amazon, ~£60 for 100m was fine for iscsi transfer running VMs from NAS.

#6 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

https://m.comms-expr...6a-solid-cable/

Used this company for many years great service and next day on nearly everything they sell

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

Backing up his 'collection'.

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

I floodwired my house with some boxed cat 5&6 from TLC and got my patch cables from MrTronic on Amazon.

Use it for 4K tv, gaming, squuezebox flac etc and all been great, but get good quality wall sockets.

I bought some cheapos and ended up snapping as connected the patch cables. MK or Crabtree are boss.

Yeah, the MrTronic stuff looked great value but it was all CCA cable and not solid (or stranded) copper and I've not had great experiences with CCA cables before, though that was in commercial premises and it's probably more than up to the job in a domestic environment.

Yeah, the fun and games of trying to work out what sockets to get. Need to find a range that covers all of the other required socketry in these rooms or at least vaguely matches. :beat:

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

https://m.comms-expr...6a-solid-cable/

Used this company for many years great service and next day on nearly everything they sell

Yup, they and broadbandbuyer are usually go-to for most of my non-speciality needs at work too. thumbsup

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

Got shielded cat6a from Amazon, ~£60 for 100m was fine for iscsi transfer running VMs from NAS.

Ended up with a couple of 305m boxes of S/FTP Cat7 cable from a company, Digitus, that I'd never heard of but the proper data sheet for the cable specs were at least downloadable and read well and it seemed remarkably good value.  :unsure:

Now to convince the missus that I'll be able to invisibly patch up the 200mm holes I'm going to drill all across the kitchen ceiling on the way to the extension. :o :wacko:

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

Backing up his 'collection'.

Nah, that's injected straight into my brain and there's more than enough storage space in there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users