Domestic Electrics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:50 PM

I need to replace a dozen downlights in my kitchen after the decorator mullered the bezels on half of them trying to remove them from the ceiling (double layer of plasterboard).

The current GU10 downlights turn out to be non-fire rated, double insulated (Class 2) fittings, i.e. no earth connected.

The only replacements of the right size cut-out that I can find are earthed (Class 1) fittings and at least fire rated this time.

The existing fittings are wired up with twin and earth cable but the earths aren't connected at the light fitting. Am I safe to connect up those unused earths to the new fittings or do I run the risk of blacking out the South East of the country and incinerating myself in the process? Safe to assume that the other end of the earth cable is connected to something or any way to easily test that without repeating the above?

#2 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,872 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

Personally, if in doubt don't bother connecting the earth, unless the lights don't function without the earth. That said, from what you've said, I can't see any harm in connecting the earths to the light fittings, difficult to be definitive without a quick looksy

#3 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,872 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

The other end of the earth wires should head back to the distribution board a quick continuity check should prove this

#4 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:47 PM

Buy SOLO10 fittings from lampshops online, I fit hundreds. Connect all earths in all fittings they have pushfits. Lights have switch on front for the 3 whites and magnetic bezels, job done.

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

Those Solo's are quite a smart solution with the switchable temperatures. Unfortunately they're way too small for the ceiling cut-out's (circa 85mm) we've got.

Might have to find something similar though as I'm not sure that 3 of the fittings that have just been delivered are going to have enough height clearance as there is some kind of weird criss-cross timber structure in the ceiling void above three of the holes which means it might be a challenge to fit these "cans" in there. :(

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

Personally, if in doubt don't bother connecting the earth, unless the lights don't function without the earth. That said, from what you've said, I can't see any harm in connecting the earths to the light fittings, difficult to be definitive without a quick looksy

The other end of the earth wires should head back to the distribution board a quick continuity check should prove this

Can't see how the lights wouldn't work, even with a non-connected earth. Just trying to avoid frying anyone/anything. :wacko:

The electrician who wired up the extension we've just had built apparently muttered to my wife that he was expecting to be getting a call to get him back to replace these kitchen (part of the original house) lights with whatever we ended up buying as they finally left on Friday. Fecker.

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

If continuity is a challenge due to access you could check continuity between the loose earths on two adjacent light fittings.  Just an idea.  Obviously do it with the power off / isolated, we don't want techieboy to become sparkyboy.

Are we due puns calling you a live wire yet?  Wolfy!

#8 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

If there is an earth connection it's there for a reason.

#9 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,872 posts
    and now bees

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:07 AM

If there is an earth connection it's there for a reason.
For sure, but if you cannot touch the light fitting in routine life there is little risk, more important that the light switch, especially if metal/conductive, is earthed

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

Good point. The light switch itself is metal.

Really not sure why sometimes an earth is used and other times, not. Just been upstairs in the new extension and the ceiling pendant and wall switch (plastic) in one of the rooms don't have earths connected and the switch itself doesn't even look to have a terminal for an earth. Electrician did fit some kind of extra RCD to the incoming mains and something else in the consumer unit, so maybe the usual old style earth protection is now handled via RCD's. T'is a pain though as most of the smart switch replacements seem to want earths.

It's definitely why I hate domestic electrics and it scares me. Without fail, I buy a new light fitting and read the oh so simple instructions and think great, I can do that. Then you remove the existing fitting and find there's another half dozen extra cables floating around in there. Cue me reattaching the original and consigning the replacement to the room of doom (garage).

#11 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

CPC or earth should always be connected on 230v.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users