25 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

My old Samsung 'claw' TV is showing signs of fatigue.  Damn thing's not all that old either at 5-6 years old :angry2:  I remember at the time the Samsung was the TV to get.  Does anyone keep up to date with whats good in the TV world?  Not after 4k or curved; just a normal TV. 

*braces for links to wolfies TV ad*

#2 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

You called Filthy?

http://www.vx220.org...32#entry1991089

Bizarrely I posted in it yesterday! :lol:

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:58 PM

You called Filthy?

http://www.vx220.org...32#entry1991089

Bizarrely I posted in it yesterday! :lol:

Trust you to 'tune in' to this thread.

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

I had hoped this thread would get a more useful 'reception'.   etc

#5 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

I had problems with Samsung PSU going bad , so would not buy again. Sony has been fine for past 10 yr, only looking to replace to go 65/70" as want something to also do VR / simulator dual use with pc

#6 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:44 PM

I also had a Samsung PSU go bad after 18 months, but fortunately I managed to buy the correct board off Ebay for £20, fitted it in an hour or so and it's been fine ever since. My general observation would be most non "flagship" TV's in any manufacturers range are built down to a price and are pretty much disposable within two or three years. The Panasonic TV I also have is eleven years old cost 3 times more than the Samsung that went bad, but the picture on it is no where near as good as the more modern cheaper TV.

FLD, what sort of screen size were you thinking of getting?

Siztenboots, TV's with variable refresh rates up to 120 frames a second are about to become The Next Big Thing for gaming/simulator use, as both the next X box and Playstation can support this feature. A PC graphics card would need either G-sync (Nvidia) or Freesync (Radeon) to make use of this. Look out for TV's with HDMI 2.1 inputs to ensure compatibility.

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:13 AM

I also had a Samsung PSU go bad after 18 months, but fortunately I managed to buy the correct board off Ebay for £20, fitted it in an hour or so and it's been fine ever since. My general observation would be most non "flagship" TV's in any manufacturers range are built down to a price and are pretty much disposable within two or three years. The Panasonic TV I also have is eleven years old cost 3 times more than the Samsung that went bad, but the picture on it is no where near as good as the more modern cheaper TV.

Siztenboots, TV's with variable refresh rates up to 120 frames a second are about to become The Next Big Thing for gaming/simulator use, as both the next X box and Playstation can support this feature. A PC graphics card would need either G-sync (Nvidia) or Freesync (Radeon) to make use of this. Look out for TV's with HDMI 2.1 inputs to ensure compatibility.

Fairly flexible TBH.  I think the current one is 50ish and was on the smaller side of the range.  I don't want to go massive though, just a regular flat TV. 

Is there any way I can diagnose what's wrong with my TV?  I'm quite happy to have a go at fixing it.  I have a couple of horizontal lines across the top of the screen.  Looks like dead pixel lines but when you get up close there's some colour in them so not dead just dodgy.

#8 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Fairly flexible TBH. I think the current one is 50ish and was on the smaller side of the range. I don't want to go massive though, just a regular flat TV.

Is there any way I can diagnose what's wrong with my TV? I'm quite happy to have a go at fixing it. I have a couple of horizontal lines across the top of the screen. Looks like dead pixel lines but when you get up close there's some colour in them so not dead just dodgy.

Isn't 50cm quite a small TV by modern standards, ours is almost that and it's quite old

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

I'm taking inches but thinking about it there's no way its 50".  Ive had a look and its 40".  Model is UE40F6500SB type UE40F6500

#10 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

Richer sounds 6 year, or John Lewis 5 year give a much better guarentee 

#11 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

There's a thought....

It came from JL.  I'd best check the actual purchase date.

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:04 PM

Regarding samsung, they use QLED technology, where the competition uses OLED.
That results in samsung tv's (even the more expensive ones) to have a degrade in view, when viewed from an angle.
This starts allready at 30%. Just google for it.

Go for OLED, not QLED.

#13 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

OLED is fundamentally a better idea than LCD because the pixel generates the light rather than blocking it. This means they are capable of displaying true black and any accurate picture is built from this foundation. The only downside is OLED's are not currently capable of quite the same peak brightness as LCD based technology, so not the best choice in very bright rooms, but for most situations this isn't an issue. The only company actually making OLED panels is LG but various manufacturers including Sony and Panasonic use them and differentiate themselves by how well they get the panel to work using their own video processor technology.

FLD, I'm no electronics engineer (not enough hammer usage for me 😁), but given the fault symptoms for £25 this t-con board has got to be worth a punt

https://www.ebay.co....tm/184438479120

If your TV is anything like mine be prepared to grit your teeth as you prize the back off - it constantly felt like I was about to break something, bit like pulling trim off my old Fiat 🙂

And if that doesn't work and the budgets there buy a 48" Sony OLED from your friendly local independent retailer 😉 (not me, haven't done that for over 10 years)👍.

Edited by TheHood, 24 September 2020 - 07:32 PM.

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

OLED is fundamentally a better idea than LCD because the pixel generates the light rather than blocking it. This means they are capable of displaying true black and any accurate picture is built from this foundation. The only downside is OLED's are not currently capable of quite the same peak brightness as LCD based technology, so not the best choice in very bright rooms, but for most situations this isn't an issue. The only company actually making OLED panels is LG but various manufacturers including Sony and Panasonic use them and differentiate themselves by how well they get the panel to work using their own video processor technology.

FLD, I'm no electronics engineer (not enough hammer usage for me 😁), but given the fault symptoms for £25 this t-con board has got to be worth a punt

https://www.ebay.co....tm/184438479120

If your TV is anything like mine be prepared to grit your teeth as you prize the back off - it constantly felt like I was about to break something, bit like pulling trim off my old Fiat 🙂

And if that doesn't work and the budgets there buy a 48" Sony OLED from your friendly local independent retailer 😉 (not me, haven't done that for over 10 years)👍.

Awesome tech knowledge there!

Can I just ask what a T-con board does?

#15 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

Timing connection board. It takes the signal from the main video board and uses it to drive the display panel - a bridge if you will. However, further research suggests your problem could be power supply related, although intuitively that seems less likely.

As long as you can find the right used boards for not much money it could be worth just playing "board battleships" and replace them all in turn until the problem is fixed or it turns out to be the panel, in which case it's a write off. There's only going to be 3 main boards - power supply, main video board and t-con. You'd be suprised (or perhaps not...) by how many of the less skilful sevice engineers I've met that make a living out of doing just that 😮

#16 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

Looked good on the Gadget Show: https://consumer.hua.../topicId_91298/

#17 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:41 AM

Timing connection board. It takes the signal from the main video board and uses it to drive the display panel - a bridge if you will. However, further research suggests your problem could be power supply related, although intuitively that seems less likely.

As long as you can find the right used boards for not much money it could be worth just playing "board battleships" and replace them all in turn until the problem is fixed or it turns out to be the panel, in which case it's a write off. There's only going to be 3 main boards - power supply, main video board and t-con. You'd be suprised (or perhaps not...) by how many of the less skilful sevice engineers I've met that make a living out of doing just that 😮

thanks for this, a fantastic explanation!  I bought the tcon and just need to be irritated enough by the lines and brave enough to take it apart.  thumbsup

#18 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

Looked good on the Gadget Show: https://consumer.hua.../topicId_91298/

Looks fantastic.  £2850 though!  Might give it a look to see if it's suitably awesome to justify that price.

#19 Sendoh

Sendoh

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

JL do good deals and the 5 year warranty is always nice

#20 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts