15 replies to this topic

#1 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:04 PM

Being in need of a run around, i am considering a 2007 Citroen C3 1.6 VTR

It has 3 previous owners and 75,000 on the clock. 

Has anyone any knowledge or experience of said model please or know what i should be wary of after it having 13 years of use? 

The reviews are favourable but then i just want a reliable trouble free 1-litre'ish car that has an interior that i don't hate spending time in (swaths of plastic and no mod cons).

#2 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:01 AM

Generally they are OK as long as its got a manual box, the semi auto thing they fitted into them was nothing but trouble for 2 people I know.

#3 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

Good afternoon sir. :)

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to reply, it is very much appreciated  chinky chinky

#4 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

Well...i am now an owner of said car. I have practically zero mechanical knowledge and have never ever bought a used car before, so was somewhat apprehensive. I can only base my choice on logical standards and 'feel' and, although all that lacking leaves me very vulnerable (as a very obvious newbie to buying, with 'sucker' stamped to my forehead), i believe that i have lucked upon a little gem. It only went up for sale on Saturday, i saw it Sunday evening and bought it this morning. Rushed (i know) and unseen, two words that would usual send an already worrying little old me in to a total frenzy, yet it still 'feels' ok. Anyway, i was unsure about tempting fate by posting this but thought that at the very least it allows someone to tell me what a complete fool i am.

Loosely specs are...

3 owners. Last one for 7 years. 
7 years mot and service with the dealership now selling.
Mot until 28'th aug 2021.
Inspection and full service before delivery.
Fit new cambelt £100.
3 months free warranty.
9 months extra warranty £200.
Free delivery. (62 miles)
Will sort road tax on delivery.
Very tidy in and out (car-park dent on pass side door).
New front discs + pads.

So...£1,695 total, or £2,000 with cam belt change and an extra 9 months warranty added... still unsure there which but have a couple of days to decide before delivery.

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

Barely run in! rallly

#6 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:41 PM

lol...my vx at 38,000 has a bit of catching up to do (so to speak)

#7 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:46 PM

Thought i would stick a link to 'her', whilst it is up and running (advert not car, lol) and if anyone's interested  :tumble:

2007 Citroen C3 VTR 16v £1,695

#8 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

Clarify that it's a belt AND tensioner fittted. If it is then it's a bargain.
Even if you have to top up the £100 to add the tensioner its still a good price.

I've always been a small Citroen fan. Citroen and Fiat just do small cars so well.

Edited by blackoctagon, 09 October 2020 - 10:13 AM.

#9 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

Used to have a diesel one, did not look as good as yours.

#10 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

Used to have a C4. Dogs liked the glass boot.
All the trim came off the windscreen other than that it ran no problems for 5 years 100k plus.
Had a xsara before that. Purchase loosely based on the wrc car of the time... Have memories of the trim coming off that as well lol

#11 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:50 PM

Clarify that it's a belt AND tensioner fittted. If it is then it's a bargain.
Even if you have to top up the £100 to add the tensioner its still a good price.

I've always been a small Citroen fan. Citroen and Fiat just do small cars so well.

I imagine that it would not be. The car has been sitting in my allocated parking space since Thursday midday, so it's a bit late to influence the outcome either way lol. I do know that the invoiced paperwork just states 'cam belt'. I have decided to keep returning to them for the annual mot and service pilgrimage and with their £165 quote in consideration of my continued custom, their relationship with the car is worth continuing. I see them as the very knowledgeable rich ex-husband who never gets in the way but when i'm in trouble and i need them, they're worth making richer. 

He pointed out the new rear tyres, brake discs and silencer too, which point perhaps to failures in the last mot (end of august), the last lady owner was inspired to upgrade to a new car (help along by a deal too good to miss via them no doubt) for some reason. Obviously we all come with history but with the garages willingness to continue forward into my own ownership offering a low cost package, she seems to be a good honest car. I am investing in some cheap tailored floor mats for the two front and back seats and rubber boot and bumper mats and then that's her lot.

The clutch biting point and looseness of the gear shifter is going to take some getting used to but that will come with the familiarity of experience and is not to be unexpected in a 13 year old, 75,000 miles car.

#12 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 02:53 PM

Used to have a diesel one, did not look as good as yours.

That was the condition and kind of model that i thought that i would get got my money but was lucky to find a well looked after VTR (compared to the vx cabin, it's positively luxurious lol). 

#13 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

Used to have a C4. Dogs liked the glass boot.
All the trim came off the windscreen other than that it ran no problems for 5 years 100k plus.
Had a xsara before that. Purchase loosely based on the wrc car of the time... Have memories of the trim coming off that as well lol

The words 'bullet proof' were used for the 1.6 engine and in a light car, that engine is nice and economical when driven carefully (which i fully intend to do). 

The plastics are nice and solid inside (excluding the handbrake binnacle) and have an ungraded 'soft touch' to them, there is some! 'scratchy' plastic though but it is tucked away mostly. The instrument panel is ok and contrary to everything i have read, the seating/driving position and multi adjustable steering position lead to a lovely drive (but then my back is in a bad way anyway and i generally get out of the vx in less pain than i got in, lol).  

#14 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:17 PM

Evening All (that is my Z cars impression there) :)

Could you answer a question for me please? (to whom it may concern)...

..is the total of £250 that i have had quoted for a supplied and fitted set of front pads and discs too extortionate?

I say 'too extortionate' purely because it is Evans Halshaw and all dealerships have exaggerated costings.  

#15 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:14 AM

If all goes well that would be 45 mins to an hours work for them, and assuming they are OEM parts, around £60-80 worth of bits.

I personally don't use garages for anything bar the MOT, but that sounds like a typical main dealer quote for the job. 

#16 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

If it was a mercedes or bmw maybe, but for a citroen that sounds a lot to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users