Oil Pressure And Temperature Gauges For Turbo

oil pressure and temperature

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rolfb

rolfb

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and things with engines :-)

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:19 PM

....sorry but no android phone. i am a apple boy.

Apple bluetooth / wifi devieces are that expensive because only the certified ones works  thumbsdown

Hi friends,

I am planning some upgrades to my newly aquired "vanilla" Turbo for trackday driving. As part of this, the plan is to increase the BHP.

I know the Turbo is running at fairly high oil temperatures, and I would like to install oil pressure and temperature gauges.

Have any one done that, and what is the easiest way to go? (As far as I can see, the oil readings can not be collected from the OBD2)

- I found some threads, but got somewhat lost :-)

Thanks

Rolf.

#2 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:18 PM

You can't get the oil temp or pressure from an OBD, neither are read. The oil pressure is a switch only.

You will need to fit an oil temp sender and also a pressure sender or a small oil pipe to the back of whatever gauge you fit.

Reasonable simple jobs if you are ok with a spanner.

#3 rolfb

rolfb

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for your answer

I will grab the spanner and mount some sensors :-)

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

....sorry but no android phone. i am a apple boy.

Apple bluetooth / wifi devieces are that expensive because only the certified ones works  thumbsdown

Hi friends,

I am planning some upgrades to my newly aquired "vanilla" Turbo for trackday driving. As part of this, the plan is to increase the BHP.

I know the Turbo is running at fairly high oil temperatures, and I would like to install oil pressure and temperature gauges.

Have any one done that, and what is the easiest way to go? (As far as I can see, the oil readings can not be collected from the OBD2)

- I found some threads, but got somewhat lost :-)

Thanks

Rolf.

Why do you think your oil temps and pressures are too high? Thousands of these engines work fine with no problem with oil pressure/temps. I thought of adding such instruments on mine many years ago, but in the end I did not, and I have never needed them really. You can never really have too much oil pressure any way, the more the better really and temps will be regulated well by the oil/water heat exchanger. It works adequately on my tuned car, so think it will be fine on yours.

#5 joshua

joshua

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

Oil temp and pressure senders are quite easy to install. My car has them fitted (VXT) by tapping into the ends of the lower oil cooler unions.
Fortunate I had the temp gauge fitted, a few years back on the vigorous climb out of Andorra the oil temp jumped alarmingly after which I fitted a supplemental oil cooler and extra charge cooler radiators. With more power and an even heavier right foot I’ve had no problems since.

#6 rolfb

rolfb

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

Thanks a lot for good inputs, gents!

I am planning to take my VXT to around 300 BHP including a larger intercooler and uprated oil cooler. As for instruments: I agreed, that with proper solutions to "heat management", overheating shouldn't be a daily issue, but would like to catch the abnormal issue, before it breaks my engine.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Oil temp and pressure senders are quite easy to install. My car has them fitted (VXT) by tapping into the ends of the lower oil cooler unions.
Fortunate I had the temp gauge fitted, a few years back on the vigorous climb out of Andorra the oil temp jumped alarmingly after which I fitted a supplemental oil cooler and extra charge cooler radiators. With more power and an even heavier right foot I’ve had no problems since.

Whats temps did the oil reach Josh? And what was the ambient temps roughly?

#8 joshua

joshua

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:06 PM

115°C peak. Approx 25°C in Andorra La Vella town, 18°C at altitude so not that warm, it was late September. Not seen over 105°C since.
Previous year I roasted the front RC5 pads and slightly warped the standard discs going the opposite way.

#9 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:31 PM

I wouldn’t worry about 115c peak
Just use a decent oil Miller Nanodrive that works up to 150C before any issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users