9 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

I was texting with my wife when a text appeared in the thread saying a picture/video had been sent to me (purportedly from her) with a 'password' immediately followed by a link. Using the detail option it appears to be from a UK mobile +44 but how was it inserted in my (our) thread. I'm on Welsh hospitals Wi-Fi but I am using a VPN.

Can't find much on t'internet about insertions into text conversations. Perhaps I'm not using the correct search parameters. 

Edited by oblomov, 26 July 2021 - 06:22 PM.

#2 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,960 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:16 PM

Look up Pegasus project, NSO, you're on someone's watch list...

#3 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:29 PM

I've been following  that in depth with great interest.  :)

#4 JamesEreni

JamesEreni

• 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:30 PM

I've always found that the simplest explanation is usually the right one, so I wouldn't assume you were a victim of Pegasus (unless you are a nation state target?). Pegasus is an expensive tool and they don't just throw that at any old joe. TechCrunch has a good article on how to confirm if you are compromised. Basically, you take a backup of your phone to a computer and run the tool to check for traces.

https://techcrunch.c...iphone-android/

TechCrunch is a reputable security website.  I've never heard of malware injecting messages into an existing thread, but anything's possible.

If you can extract the link (without clicking on it), you can throw it into virustotal.com or urlvoid.com to see if they have anything on the link. They run scans against files and URL's and report.  With urlvoid, you have to force a rescan.

Edited by someusernamesomewhere, 28 July 2021 - 03:30 PM.

#5 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,960 posts
    and now bees

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:18 PM

I've always found that the simplest explanation is usually the right one, so I wouldn't assume you were a victim of Pegasus (unless you are a nation state target?). Pegasus is an expensive tool and they don't just throw that at any old joe. TechCrunch has a good article on how to confirm if you are compromised. Basically, you take a backup of your phone to a computer and run the tool to check for traces.

https://techcrunch.c...iphone-android/

TechCrunch is a reputable security website. I've never heard of malware injecting messages into an existing thread, but anything's possible.

If you can extract the link (without clicking on it), you can throw it into virustotal.com or urlvoid.com to see if they have anything on the link. They run scans against files and URL's and report. With urlvoid, you have to force a rescan.

Oblomov is our PM's pseudonym on here, he likes to keep a low profile as you know from his brief and scant TV appearances

#6 JamesEreni

JamesEreni

• 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

Oblomov is our PM's pseudonym on here, he likes to keep a low profile as you know from his brief and scant TV appearances

The briefer the better I think.  Wasn't his phone number on a public website for 15 odd years?  That can't help things..

#7 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:12 PM

Look here chaps, my job is difficult enough as it is what with Carrie bossing me around all the time and dictating government policy, not to mention the dog spaffing on any leg he can get hold of. Dom's doing a hatchet job on me at the moment and the NI agreement is down the swanny, and to cap it all some barsteward is crowd funding a website to catalogue and track all the fibs I'm supposed to be telling. I come on here to chill not to be outed. 

#8 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,960 posts
    and now bees

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Look here chaps, my job is difficult enough as it is what with Carrie bossing me around all the time and dictating government policy, not to mention the dog spaffing on any leg he can get hold of. Dom's doing a hatchet job on me at the moment and the NI agreement is down the swanny, and to cap it all some barsteward is crowd funding a website to catalogue and track all the fibs I'm supposed to be telling. I come on here to chill not to be outed.

Sorry, thought everyone on here knew. Mum's the word, see you at Silverstone at the weekend Boris

#9 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,960 posts
    and now bees

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Genuine tears of laughter in West Wales

#10 JamesEreni

JamesEreni

• 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:39 AM

Sorry, thought everyone on here knew. Mum's the word, see you at Silverstone at the weekend Boris

Ya. That's gotta be rough tho.

Poor guy.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users