Photo

Bigger Brakes Up Front

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 F757lkk@gmail.com

F757lkk@gmail.com

• 0 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:22 PM

Im probably going to fit Porsche 911 996 calipers to the front of the car. Does anyone have any links to bigger discs that will fit? I think the Alfa 159 330mm discs fit but need a spacer and spigot made to ensure proper fitting. Id rather something that bolts straight on. Any ideas? Any suggestions re the easiest fitting calipers too? I know the AP or lotus Exige fit but they come at a cost!

N1

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

Some pointers here: https://sites.google.../07---update-29

#3 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,861 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:01 PM

My experience with bigger discs, bought through this forum, they warped, 2 sets ...

#4 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,861 posts
    and now bees

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:01 PM

Have AP 4 pot calipers fitted

#5 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:23 AM

Didn't Nev do something with Porsche calipers? 

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,861 posts
    and now bees

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

Didn't Nev do something with Porsche calipers?

Apparently a friend of Nev's did..

#7 F757lkk@gmail.com

F757lkk@gmail.com

• 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Hairy, thanks for that link. Do you know the fella that did that conversion?

#8 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

Ps; WHY??

If you up the front, make sure the rears are beefed up too, as a standard VX is already front biassed...   :dry:

#9 F757lkk@gmail.com

F757lkk@gmail.com

• 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:03 PM

I plan to move the std front calipers to the rear with RC6 pads to account for that.

Despite brand new RBF660 fluid, brand new RC6 pads, i boiled the fluid at Bedford a few days ago. I brake really late and hard. I done the same on my last track car.. The last being a Renaultsport megane R26. The only way i cured that was using Endless RF650 fluid with RC6 pads on the standard Brembo calipers.

Im off to Anglesea next month and dont want it to be a wasted trip so need to beef the brakes up.

#10 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:00 PM

Hmm, I have standard calli's with RC6E Front and RC6 Rear and RBF600. Did LOT Zandvoort 19/7 without issues (Harrop ~330HP), but maybe I'm still conservative and can brake a little later/more aggressive...

But I fitted some air ducting hoses through my fog lights!  (And the ABS turned off!!)

Do not know Bedford, maybe that one is really hard on brakes??

#11 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:12 PM

Seems really weird boiling fluid with that fluid and pad combo. It could be something else going on.

I use RC6 pads and RBF600 fluid on standard calipers and have never come close to boiling it and never had brake fade. No cooling ducts fitted. Even at three tracks in south France in 30C + temps. Worked fine all day long. I don’t take it easy on the brakes either.

People have done race series with standard calipers and disks without issue. I’d do some more investigation before doing anything drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:09 PM

^^ This

I've toasted brake fluid twice on track. Once when it turned out the offside rear caliper was binding slightly. The other, coincidentally at Bedford, was when using some shitty Yellowstuff brake pads that also managed to turn my front AP rotors blue from heat whilst barely managing to slow the car before effectively disintegrating. That turned out to be a problem with the size of the pads being slightly too large and dragging. Still got the replacement Yellowstuff pads EBC replaced them with in the pile of VX related sh!t that will never see the light of day again section of the garage.

#13 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:44 PM

How long are your sessions?

#14 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Hairy, thanks for that link. Do you know the fella that did that conversion?

Yes, Nev only lives a few miles away from me. He's still on the FB group.

#15 F757lkk@gmail.com

F757lkk@gmail.com

• 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:18 PM

My session was around 15-20 mins. 7 or 8 laps maybe? After i let the fluid cool for an hour the car was fine but i didnt trust them so not great lap times

All pads seem to be ok and no dragging issues

I have mintex 1144 ( i think) at the rear. Maybe the RC6 fronts and the 1144 rear is a bad combo? However, i need the car to be spot on for the wales trackday

I need to replace the front towing eye bracket so clam need to come off. I will remove the spot lamps and duct towards the brakes

#16 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,861 posts
    and now bees

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:02 PM

My session was around 15-20 mins. 7 or 8 laps maybe? After i let the fluid cool for an hour the car was fine but i didnt trust them so not great lap times

All pads seem to be ok and no dragging issues

I have mintex 1144 ( i think) at the rear. Maybe the RC6 fronts and the 1144 rear is a bad combo? However, i need the car to be spot on for the wales trackday

I need to replace the front towing eye bracket so clam need to come off. I will remove the spot lamps and duct towards the brakes

Where abouts are you, I have duct kit I would part with as I'm never likely to fit it...

#17 F757lkk@gmail.com

F757lkk@gmail.com

• 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:27 PM

Ivor, im Aylesbury, Bucks. Whats included in the duct kit?

#18 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:53 PM

After i let the fluid cool for an hour the car was fine but i didnt trust them so not great lap times.

Best bring an easybleed and a spare bottle of brake fluid for such situations.
The air will be near the nipple, so a 30 min fix.

As for 1144 rear, with different pad behavior, i will leave it up to you as to why you did that.
Default bias is 70 front, 30 rear iirc. Some that want slightly less on rear use CL6E.
That has the same friction rate as the 1144, but at least you will be using sort of the same pads.

As for the 20 min sessions, i will queue in the line with the rest mentioning that that should be fine with the hardware you allready have. The duct kit is a nice bonus.

Edited by smiley, 02 August 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#19 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:15 PM

After i let the fluid cool for an hour the car was fine but i didnt trust them so not great lap times.

Best bring an easybleed and a spare bottle of brake fluid for such situations.
The air will be near the nipple, so a 30 min fix.

As for 1144 rear, with different pad behavior, i will leave it up to you as to why you did that.
Default bias is 70 front, 30 rear iirc. Some that want slightly less on rear use CL6E.
That has the same friction rate as the 1144, but at least you will be using sort of the same pads.

As for the 20 min sessions, i will queue in the line with the rest mentioning that that should be fine with the hardware you allready have. The duct kit is a nice bonus.

No no ,
The rear can use a bit more bias, so slightly less grippy RC6E fronts and normal RC6 rear.
(Only Eliseshop does not have the E’s anymore)

#20 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,861 posts
    and now bees

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:49 PM

Ivor, im Aylesbury, Bucks. Whats included in the duct kit?

Duct pipe and shrouds for the discs, I can dig it out and photo if interested, not sure how I'd get it to you in time though, you have to drill some holes iirc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users