E10 Petrol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Munching Mike

Munching Mike

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:35 PM

The government has announced that petrol will contain 10% ethanol - https://www.gov.uk/c...icle-e10-petrol

Vauxhall says that all engines except Z22YH can run on E10 but I the RAC suggests this will include only cars built after 2002 - https://www.rac.co.u...-it-affect-you/

Should I risk it, or should I look for 97 octane petrol?

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:06 PM

On my tuned engine i accidentally put in E10 one, and it ran shite.
Maybe it's fine on stock engines. Maybe others can chip in.

E10 does not fare well in long storage, so make sure to put in 97 before tucking it up for winter.  

#3 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:29 PM

On your standard car Mike there are no fuel lines or components that should be bothered by the corrosive effects of E10. I would guess the yh is not compatible due to some component of the direct injection system that variant has.

There is a remote chance that the cleaning effects of ethanol my dislodge deposits and block something but that's really not worth worrying about - that kind of thing could happen on old cars like ours anyway.

#4 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:26 PM

For those of us with Dutch software on tuned engines I suppose this will mean changing parameters and remapping to the new fuel?  Or is this E10 only going into "normal" 95RON and the 98/99RON supers will be unaffected?

#5 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 11:15 PM

For those of us with Dutch software on tuned engines I suppose this will mean changing parameters and remapping to the new fuel? Or is this E10 only going into "normal" 95RON and the 98/99RON supers will be unaffected?

E10 will be 'standard' unleaded only. Super unleaded won't change..

#6 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:18 AM

I ve read somewhere that E10 is non officially close to RON 97.
Anyone to confirm?

#7 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:49 PM

That is the case for E5, not E10.
Oficially they cannot say that E5 is actually E0 (from a marketing perspective i think) , but if you lookup the specs of it on all vendors websites, and dig real deep you will see statements that the E5 version do not contain ethanol (for now).

Edited by smiley, 08 August 2021 - 05:50 PM.

#8 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:24 AM

That is the case for E5, not E10.
Oficially they cannot say that E5 is actually E0 (from a marketing perspective i think) , but if you lookup the specs of it on all vendors websites, and dig real deep you will see statements that the E5 version do not contain ethanol (for now).

Yup.. Clever use of the fact that E5 is defined as '0 to 5% ethanol', so even though 'E0' can no longer be sold as a product it's fine for oil companies to sell an 'E5' that they never add ethanol to..

Doesn't work on E10 as that basically has 5 to 10% ethanol added (to allow for variations in mixing and seasonal adjustment), so can't be reduced below E5 to comply to the E10 label.

For performance engines (eg. high compression or forced induction) E10 has the potential issue that it's blended from a lower grade base stock petrol (eg. 92RON) that reaches 95RON via the addition of the ethanol.

As the lower grade base stock tends to contain more volatiles and the ethanol burns hotter it tends to knock a bit sooner than plain 95RON so on these types of cars some timing or boost adjustment may be needed.

It's unfortunate that E10 was defined/set to be 95RON as  'combined' value and not something like 97RON as in that case you'd have the same 95RON base petrol with the ethanol added which would not have required this.

As the 'plan' is for regular petrol to go up to E25 or so, which many cars since around 2006 can/will run on, it will be interesting to see if the link to a set RON will be let go and just the 'E' value becomes leading.

It may well be that at some point 'E5' can no longer be sold though..

In any case, it's here to stay in some form, so get used to it.. Workarounds like fuel stabilisers or ethanol 'binders' will work for the short run, but it's not something that will 'go away'. Like unleaded fuel and the requirement for hardened valve seats, more ethanol may mean some physical modifications to older cars (eg. stainless tank, viton seals, etc.)

And with more EVfication of the car fleet in Europe, USA and south-east Asia and the shrinking demand for petrol, it's likely that something like ethanol or methanol made from waste products will be a popular alternative as a replacement fuel for the remaining hobby/classic/track ICE vehicles. Not sure the 'synthetic petrol' variants proposed by Porsche and the like will be cheap or easy enough to make to be affordable or easily available.

Bye, Arno.

#9 Munching Mike

Munching Mike

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for helpful comments.  Although my engine is not highly tuned, the fact that E10 petrol does not store well (?the ethanol evaporates?) may push me towards 97RON fuel.   So far, this year, I have driven only 22 miles (to the MoT test and back, with a short run).

#10 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:38 PM

Here is a good read on it.

https://www.hagerty....ur-classic-car/

And with your 22 miles i would not over complicate things and stick to 97.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users