Clutch/ Accelerator/ Brake Bracket

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mart356

mart356

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Interests:Playing Music, listening to music, clubbing, going to gigs, cars, design, history, computers, restaurants, Phoenix Nights, travel, canoe/ kyak/ sailing, war, filums, sleeping, working out why girls dont tend to have hobbies.

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

Hello peeps, 

Working through my list of repairs and bringing my VX back to life. 

Exhaust Manifold replaced, battery replaced, brakes now functioning, headlight bulbs replaced, engine serviced and MOTd 

The one thing i am now concerned about is the rivets holding the bracket with the pedals to the chassis floor, seem to have deteriorated and there’s a lot more flex in this

Anyone have a or know of fix for this? My mechanic seems to think i might have to take the front clam off to get better access?   The clam has to come off and be replaced anyway. 

Cheers!

Mart

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:17 PM

I assume you mean the pedal box under the front bonnet?

Don't think you need the clam off, though it might make things a little easier by minimising the stretching across the clam. You'll need to drill out the rivets and replace with either new rivets or some people have used suitably sized nuts and bolts. One of the rivets is really hard to access due to the brake booster and master cylinder so if you wanted to do it properly, that would need to come out which is why I think people resort to using an M5 nut and bolt though that will involve some poor b4$tard having to spend some time upside down in the footwell of the car which is the single most uncomfortable experience know to mankind (might even beat childbirth in womankind, though I obviously can't vouch for that).

#3 Lee37vernon

Lee37vernon

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

I've done this last week, you can use a 6mm self drilling acme type bolt in the inaccessible one next to the servo. Makes it a lot easier

#4 mart356

mart356

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Interests:Playing Music, listening to music, clubbing, going to gigs, cars, design, history, computers, restaurants, Phoenix Nights, travel, canoe/ kyak/ sailing, war, filums, sleeping, working out why girls dont tend to have hobbies.

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:24 PM

Christ on a bike why is everything that needs replacing a pain in the arse! 

And mild steel bolts with aluminium, is engineering fuckwittery 

#5 mart356

mart356

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:45 PM

I've done this last week, you can use a 6mm self drilling acme type bolt in the inaccessible one next to the servo. Makes it a lot easier

What length bolt did you use? 6mm is the width?

#6 Lee37vernon

Lee37vernon

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:55 PM

Only about 20mm. I actually managed to drill my rivet out first but you'd be better off going to Screwfix and using the self drilling variety. Just need a bit in the impact driver then.

#7 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

Once you do this your brake pedal feel, especially if you track it, will be sooo much better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users