Photo

Deactivate The Abs, Possible Without Abs Light On?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 28 April 2024 - 04:59 PM

I had a simple "toggle" switch fitted under the front bonnet that enables me to switch the ABS on, or off. It's never jiggled lose or anything like that in over 5 years.

I have it switched off all the time, but then when it goes in for an MOT I flip the switch. No lights and all works as it should. Get the MOT, then flip the switch. Simples.

Exactly this . Been fitted for years with no issues at all.

#22 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 06:58 PM

A switch can break,

So can a wire, so can a connector.

Equal trouble.

Nope, because when I want to deactivate the ABS, I pull the connector and put it aside.

The chances that the connector connects itself while driving is very very close to 0. 

The chances of a switch breaking and doing an unwanted connection or disconnection are a lot higher. Also, if mounted within the cabin, there is also the risk of an accidential moving of the switch, which is not present when using connectors in the front bay.

So the chances of this happening is not equal and therefore, especially if you don't switch it over regularly, the connector is the better solution. It also is easier to install.

#23 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 09:06 PM

A switch can break,

So can a wire, so can a connector.

Equal trouble.

Nope, because when I want to deactivate the ABS, I pull the connector and put it aside.

The chances that the connector connects itself while driving is very very close to 0. 

The chances of a switch breaking and doing an unwanted connection or disconnection are a lot higher. Also, if mounted within the cabin, there is also the risk of an accidential moving of the switch, which is not present when using connectors in the front bay.

So the chances of this happening is not equal and therefore, especially if you don't switch it over regularly, the connector is the better solution. It also is easier to install.

The sky could fall on your head too.

#24 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 06:49 PM

Yes, but the probability is a lot lower. 

I just try to avoid a problem that might happen. If you need the switch because you use it often - fine! If you just put a switch in there and it works - fine! I'm just convinced, due to bad experiences in the past, that a switch might fail where a simple connector will not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users