Exhausting....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 18 May 2003 - 05:59 AM

Don't want to be a pain in the butt but: Can anyone provide a table of the exhaust options ie. cost/sound/performance gain.... I really like the sound of the Vauxhall sports exhaust - but has this been eclipsed by new product that sounds as good, last longer or gives more power. thanks Mick it's for a 2.2 not 2.0 !

#2 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 01:57 PM

come on guys - help me out.... a pint for the first to respond with the best data at NOMITIES II Mick

#3 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 19 May 2003 - 04:50 PM

Out at the moment: Regal made by? Used by a few and liked by them all. Not too noisy, not seen any power but supposedly more than with VXL one. Vxl own - nice noise, seems louder, no power gains. Due out soon. PVD - made by ?, no details yet but as he owns a VX we'd all hope it was nice. Milltek - Very strong reputation, used in other cars by many (including me) this club used for development. I picked them for me cos I'd used them before and been impressed but having a choice is nice too. :) Stella please :P B)

#4 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:10 PM

No stella for Thorney!!! He didnt fulfil the criteria....costs??? :P

#5 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:55 PM

No stella for Thorney!!! He didnt fulfil the criteria....costs??? :P

Gawd, I have to work for my beer do I? :rolleyes: ;)

Regal - £450?

PVD - ?

Milltek - 'competitive'

Enuff? ;) :P

#6 Jamie K

Jamie K

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 08:04 PM

nugget of info On a sound test on last Saturdays New Brighton sprint (at three quarters revs) my standard VX was recorded at 89db Do I win any beer ? ;) Jamie

#7 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 19 May 2003 - 08:10 PM

I have the komo-tec exhaust. only 6 kg. great sound, great quality, and some extra hp (claimed +6) pricey at 840 euros, but they might ship for free. (they did for me)

#8 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 09:39 PM

I had my VX tested at brands. It recorded 98db :) That's with the pre cat removed and the vauxhall sports zorst. Not sure if the k&n filter comes into play here? Colin

#9 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:46 AM

I have the komo-tec exhaust.
only 6 kg.
great sound, great quality, and some extra hp (claimed +6)

pricey at 840 euros, but they might ship for free.
(they did for me)

Ricky, You got any pics of the exhaust now its fully installed in the car?... (it looked ace before fitting, would like to compare now its on...)

And, oh yeah, contact details for komo-Tec

ta

Nick

#10 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:56 AM

I know who makes the PVD one (but the info's not in the public domain yet) - it is a serious long established company and it should be a good product at a more than competetive price. First instinct to me as a Turbo owner is to rush out and buy the first product available (that's how I normally do things :D ) , but I might wait a few weeks to see what PVD/Milltek/Courtenay come up with.

#11 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:56 AM

Courtenay also have an exhaust now. Its about £400 I think. I have no more details on it at present. I think a table of noise test results would be very useful. Minime's system (full Regal with inlet manifold) was very close to 98dB at Castle Combe and Mani's (Vauxhall Sport) was very close at Prestwold. I would be interested in any others... Many track days now are limiting to 98 dB (and induction noise can contribute to that) Paul

#12 GerryM

GerryM

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • Interests:VX<br><br>Snooker

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:17 AM

What is the best replacement exhaust for a VXT? I am more interested in music than power! cheers Gerry

#13 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:45 AM

What is the best replacement exhaust for a VXT

Nobody knows yet, because Regal are the only ones with one running on a car (murkin's).

#14 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 11:31 AM

come on guys - help me out....

a pint for the first to respond with the best data at NOMITIES II

Mick

Mick

If you want to try mine for noise & feel on the road let me know. It has the full Regal system & showed 167bhp on the dyno. Have the graphs if you want to take a look. Will have had the car fitted with the intake manifold by the Nomtiesii run.

Paul

#15 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 20 May 2003 - 12:14 PM

Ricky, You got any pics of the exhaust now its fully installed in the car?... (it looked ace before fitting, would like to compare now its on...)

And, oh yeah, contact details for komo-Tec

komo-tec link:

http://www.komo-tec....abgassystem.htm

ask for Daniel koblitschek, tell him you tallked to me, he might get the ink. to strike a deal... :P

#16 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 01:39 PM

now I know what makes you talk !! (a pint for Thorney - and a listen to Paul's at NOM II). thanks to Ricky et co as well... Mick

#17 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:46 AM

I think a table of noise test results would be very useful.

Minime's system (full Regal with inlet manifold) was very close to 98dB at Castle Combe and Mani's (Vauxhall Sport) was very close at Prestwold. I would be interested in any others...

Many track days now are limiting to 98 dB (and induction noise can contribute to that)

Paul

I'm also very interested in this.

I'm on the verge of arranging for my NA to go to Regal for the Stage 3 mods and new inlet manifold. My only problem is that I'm a bit concerned about the noise levels and the limit on some track days of 98Db. I obviously don't want to pay all that money out and then find I'm over the noise limit.

I emailed Regal and the only figures they can quote is that of Minime's car at Castle Combe which was mighty close to the limit. I also know from a friend who races that the same car can register different levels at different meets so its obviously not a finite science.

Minime's car has the letterbox tailpipe - Anyone have Db figures for the Regal twin pipe option?

I also asked Regal if there's any way of muffling the exhaust to get the noise level down a bit if you need to but I didn't get an answer on that one. Anyone have any ideas?

#18 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:57 AM

Castle Coombe are nightmares on noise measurement as they do it in a building :blink: From the meets it does sound like the twin Regal is marginally louder than letterbox but its hard to tell, and it was in a pub car park :) Only way to tell is to actually measure, I've ordered one for the club but its not arrived as yet. It is possible to deaden the noise by attaching external baffles (coke cans work well - no joke) but it does look a bit crap.

#19 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:03 AM

External baffes (SupaTrapp is the best known) do sap power again though. It is a solution. Problem is that some custom metal work may be required for fitting onto either a letter box or twin round pipe... A friend used a coke can on his caterham at hethel. Passed the noise test and then the exhaust gases when he opened it up on the back straight just blew it off into the farmer's field!

#20 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I don't mind muffling the exhaust if it means I can keep within the limits, even though it saps the power a bit. That's got to be a whole heap better than forking out for a trackday and then getting kicked out because the car's too noisy. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users