• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#221 NickH

NickH

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

Might try fitting them and crimping the connector having read these posts.

I'm not sure this makes much difference.

Best to keep an eye on this post as hopefully Paul will be able to shed some light on this (sorry no pun intended! :D )

#222 dkennedyVXT

dkennedyVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Driving:-) Mountain biking, Ice hockey, Snow Boarding

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

The Vauxhall garage have told me they were faulty and 'sub-standard'. I'll put the old ones back in tonight.

#223 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

I had two go due to dodgy connections but have been fine since, my client assures me he has only ever had one bulb blow that he knows of, may be a VX thing I don't know.

#224 dkennedyVXT

dkennedyVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

I had two go due to dodgy connections but have been fine since, my client assures me he has only ever had one bulb blow that he knows of, may be a VX thing I don't know.

Is there anything we can do with your supplier Muncher as it seems like there are a number of bulb failures and I can't see how it would be down to the VX as my standard bulbs never blew in 18 months.

#225 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

Is there anything we can do with your supplier Muncher as it seems like there are a number of bulb failures and I can't see how it would be down to the VX as my standard bulbs never blew in 18 months.

He has offered a discounted exchange, but I've asked him to get pricing for branded ones like Osram. I'm not best pleased that so many appear to have failed though.

#226 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

I had one go the day before my holiday so I had to do a quick change. Our local Motorist Discount Centre had some of the Osram silverstars (H1) so I fitted a pair of them and they seem even brighter. For your info the Bulb that blew and the other one that hadn't seemed to have got that hot that the metal part close to the bulb had blued. The connector ends seem fine with no traces of arcing and the connections were tight.

#227 willow

willow

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding and wakeboarding

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

I read this post earlier today and thought to myself, you poor buggers, to those whos bulbs had blown - thinking 'Mine are perfect, its a shame a few have gone' Anyway, the irony, stepped out to the car tonight to go for a spin, and what should I find? yep, one of the bulbs out, looks like im going to be joining the list of people needing some new ones thumbsup

#228 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

I feel really bad that you guys have had bulbs blow :( I don't know what I can say really....

#229 willow

willow

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Interests:skiing, snowboarding and wakeboarding

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

Its not your fault chap thumbsup - it'll teach us all that being tight fisted and going for the deal doesnt always pay off haha :P Im going to have to switch back to the standard ones for a bit and see if anyone comes up with any reason/plan haha!

#230 dkennedyVXT

dkennedyVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:15 AM

I agree.....not your fault, however I think the supplier should be named and shamed :P

#231 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

Spoke with my client today (he had spoken to the manufacturer) apparently the dipped beam bulbs can be somewhat fragile and the problem may be due to the nature of the VX. I'm not sure to be honest.... He now can get Osram and Phillips branded bulbs at a good price, anyone know how much they usually retail for?

#232 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

Agree with the others not your fault Muncher. I feel sorry for you after all the hard work you put in only to be embarrassed by the product. H7 you supplied are still working fine thumbsup I paid about £18 for a pair of H1 osram Silverstars from our Local Motorist Discount Centre.

#233 SteveM

SteveM

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

Just had another bulb go yesterday the same day it was due for a service :( Picadors informed me the connector got so hot it melted the insulator and couldn't be repaired, and would I like to pay £700 for a new headlamp assembly :blink: :blink: :( :( Me: no thanks :o , just replace the bulb please Picadors: ok sir, but we won't be able to insulate the connector as it'll get too hot, don't touch it or get it wet because your electrics will be f##@ed :( :( :( Steve

#234 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

So is it the H1 bulb connector that's melted or the entire headlamp unit connector? If it's just the H1 connector I would have thought it would be relatively easy just to crimp a new connector onto the wires...

#235 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:58 AM

The plastic insulator was melted on both of my units even before I got the car. As far as I'm concerned they can be discarded as they do pretty much nothing.

#236 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

mine melted too, I put it down to a poor connection as the bulb had ceased working.... tightened up connector, discarded isolator and all is well again ;) thumbsup

#237 Mutt & Jeff

Mutt & Jeff

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Music, F1, Cars, Keeping Fit, Skateboarding with my boys & Red Wine

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

Er, hate to say it but my right hand insulator melted & both bulbs blew just over a week ago. :( Since I put the old bulbs back in I crimped the connector on....seems brighter than I've ever had! :rolleyes: Muncher, no crit on you mate, it was very kind of you to sort out the group buy thumbsup I still owe you a pint for all the gearbox advice thumbsup :D

#238 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

So is the general advice to swap out these bulbs and either revert to standard or go for Osrams? I really don't want to fry the electrics...

#239 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

One of my H1s failed about a month ago and the second one popped while I was in Germany. In both cases the metal part of the buld appeared to have been running very hot (blued - as described above) and the glass part was loose in the holder. One of the insulators on the terminal had melted but the other was fine. I took a look at the mains while the headlamp was out and they seemed fine. That said, I still think we should organise some sort to torch lit mob Frankenstien stylee to visit Muncher's house. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users