cucharillas

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

Pics please?

:)

https://www.instagra.../p/BqnN7v6gN-t/

right rear

Ta, I was trying to get some images of the failed components and the area around it.   :)

Hi! Saw your PM, my kit is from Elise-shop. bolts too.

the bolt:

audpbc.jpg

On this week I´ll jack the car to see on detail the damage and post pics.

maybe a lot of stress on this track?

A M3 e92 tracktool broke too his toe link bolt on these day.

One year ago broke the rear subchasis, on left side too, as the toe damaged ( left)

suspicious?

#42 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:30 AM

Pics please?

https://www.instagra.../p/BqnN7v6gN-t/

right rear

Ta, I was trying to get some images of the failed components and the area around it.   :)

Hi! Saw your PM, my kit is from Elise-shop. bolts too.

the bolt:

audpbc.jpg

On this week I´ll jack the car to see on detail the damage and post pics.

maybe a lot of stress on this track?

A M3 e92 tracktool broke too his toe link bolt on these day.

One year ago broke the rear subchasis, on left side too, as the toe damaged ( left)

suspicious?

Many thanks, no surprises with either the failure or the kit, it only confirms what I had already expected to see.

If you look back over the archives on this forum alone you will several identical failures with this kit over the last 3-4 years (fatigued bolt failing just under the upright or a stripped thread of the same bolt).

We have supplied at least 10 Spitfire kits to owners as a direct replacement for this kit, some after failing and some as a precaution.

This failure is nothing to do with the track (or your path selection through the bends)  :) or at least it shouldn't be.

The purpose of an uprated kit is to replace and strengthen the OE toe link set up so at the very least you should NEVER see a fatigue failure of the fasteners, regardless of how you drive.

You may expect to see an outright failure should you leave the track and hit something hard laterally but this is a function of the built-in frangibility and not a design problem.

Riding the curbs on track is mostly a vertical function in terms of suspension and although it sounds and feels pretty dramatic the toe link will not have to take much of the forces involved, hitting the side of the curb on the road gives much greater peak forces.

The bad news for you is that all things being equal there is no scientific reason why you would not expect to see the same failure again should you just replace the bolts, It's not a case of bad luck.

The good news is the kits are quite cheap so you have not lost too much money.

What is more interesting for me is the other failure you mention on the subframe? do you have any images of that failure please?

You can send them directly to:

spitfire.engineering@gmail.com

Many thanks and good luck

Gaz

http://www.spitfiree....com/vx-vxt-rec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users