• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:27 AM

Are there any issues with replacing only the front pads and leaving the rear pads. I have a set of Mintex pads that I reckon I could fit with a mate. I haven't bought any rear ones and I heard it's a bit of a harder task. Will this upset the balance of the breaking?

#2 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:12 AM

Replacing front only is fine. Thats exactly what I and others have done. Breaking is definately improved with no adverse consequences. Front still locks up marginally before ABS cuts in (with ABS mod). I believe that the rears only account for circa 35% of braking force.

#3 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Paul. I got them off eBay - Bargain price £35 :)

#4 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:50 PM

I was wondering who had bought them! I was bidding up to 20 quid and gave up after that.

#5 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:01 PM

If I'd been a bit more keen I could have got the same pads (advertised for the Elise) for only £25. :beat:

#6 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:45 PM

If I'd been a bit more keen I could have got the same pads (advertised for the Elise) for only £25. :beat:

I got a set Sat morning - They were advertised as "lotus mintex" and were "buy it now" for £25 - so i did!! :groupjump:

I am a bit worried though that i have heard of some "fake" stuff being on ebay :angry: I wouldnt know a set of mintex from a set of lada pads! Hmmm....

#7 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 03:07 PM

Yeah I thought the same actually, if somethings too good to be true....it normally is. Let me know how you get on.

#8 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

Havent got them yet - what about yours Ian, are they stamped mintex etc?? If you have a digi cam it might be worth taking a pic - we can then compare. Its not so much the money, thinking about it, im just a tad nervous entrusting my brakes to some dodgie kit :(

Edited by cheeky_chops, 09 June 2003 - 05:48 PM.

#9 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:20 PM

Replacing front only is fine. Thats exactly what I and others have done. Breaking is definately improved with no adverse consequences. Front still locks up marginally before ABS cuts in (with ABS mod). I believe that the rears only account for circa 35% of braking force.

Was wondering what the brake ratio was. If it's 65% front and 35% rear how come all my pads need changing at 22,000 ? Would it be worth checking my ratios are right as my mate suggested ?

Nigel

Edited by Beergut, 09 June 2003 - 09:21 PM.

#10 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:34 PM

wear ratio for me was two front sets for one rear.

#11 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:36 PM

Nigel, the 65/35 split will only apply under emergency braking, when the maximum weight is transferred onto the front tyres. Under light braking, the fronts and rears will probably be working equally. Someone doing lots of miles on track, will need to replace the fronts more often than the rears. Most will probably have to replace both at the same time. BTW If you are tracking your car, don't let the material get below 3mm. Mine went from 3mm to 0 in a handful of laps at Knockhill last week. Approaching Duffus Dip at 105mph with no brakes was an interesting experience :o

#12 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:59 PM

Nigel, the 65/35 split will only apply under emergency braking, when the maximum weight is transferred onto the front tyres. Under light braking, the fronts and rears will probably be working equally. Someone doing lots of miles on track, will need to replace the fronts more often than the rears. Most will probably have to replace both at the same time.

BTW If you are tracking your car, don't let the material get below 3mm. Mine went from 3mm to 0 in a handful of laps at Knockhill last week. Approaching Duffus Dip at 105mph with no brakes was an interesting experience :o

Thanks Gary, that explains it then and also why Ricky gets through pads quicker than me :D , I don't track !

Mind you I've had the no stopping experience when the damn things are wet and cold Imnotworthy

Nigel

#13 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:01 AM

Havent got them yet - what about yours Ian, are they stamped mintex etc??

Will do......... when I get them B)

#14 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:14 AM

Havent got them yet - what about yours Ian, are they stamped mintex etc??

Will do......... when I get them B)

... And me! I'm off on holiday tom for 10 days so will drop you a pic when i'm back :)

#15 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:49 AM

Here you go CC. They look OK to me but I've nothing to compare them too :unsure: They have Mintex stamped in print on them and an L on the back of each pad.

Attached Files

#16 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:55 AM

Ahh, sweet Ian! I'll let you know how mine look... cant wait to bed those suckers in :groupjump:

#17 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:04 PM

Got them on my desk now Ian - Packing is different, but the pads, instructions look the same. have you fitted them??

#18 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:45 PM

Still haven't got round to it, I need to borrow a trolley jack. I'll find some time in the next month I hope. I was at the Esher BBQ karting thing on Saturday, if I'd seen you I would have said hi. Did you see Thorney & Rubber etc? or was it you that left in silver VX fairly early?

#19 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:49 PM

They're genuine Mintex - just not a race compound like M1144. Do any of you know how much this particular compound costs over the counter? Steve

#20 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:24 PM

Steve, how can you tell they aren't M1144? (£65 from Regal)

Edited by iandhd, 01 July 2003 - 01:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users