#1 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:36 PM

First day in my own VXT (I had a couple in the press car) and I have to say it went exactly as expected. :D Not driven Oulton Park before and its best described as a grown up Cadwell, undulating with interesting corners and a few places you really really wouldn't want to come off :blink: Not for newbies IMO but I loved it despite the fact I reckon it would take 2/3 trips to event start to get a decent line round some of the corners. Was a really hard test for the VXT, 30 degree heat, 60 cars on the track (M25 was less busy at times) but fortunately open pit. It was so hot that the Exige boys were only able to go out for 3 laps at a time before it overwhelmed them. Only time VXT had probs was when I was following the RS4 around for video and even then the temp only went up to 94, the rest of the day it didnt even get over 90! The day basically confirmed what I already knew, the VXT's road set up is nigh on perfect but as a result is too soft on the track. The soft suspension meant the car rolled too much, hence made the tyres work harder which effectively boiled the tread (which is impressive as they're pretty hard) and lead to loss of grip. In the cars defence it really was TOO hot to drive a car hard round a track and several race cars overheated/suffered mechanicals. It also confirmed the fact that 200bhp is certainly enough to cope with the power monsters on a track. I was with a couple of mates in RS4's (or turbo nutter barges as Jonny from Book-a-track likes to call them :) ) and even Andy Laws 550bhp special was only gaining 1/2 lengths on me on the straight. Combined with the fact I could carry a higher corner speed out of the preceeding corner and could brake much later at the next it meant the 350bhp deficit was erradicated. However going out with Andy did remind me of the fun the RS4 is on a track, there is something adictive with the point and squirt style you can use. :groupjump: We got a good bit of video too so I'll post some up. :jump: Overall I'm still impressed and certainly sure I made the right choice. I'm more than convinced that Nitrons and change of tyres will transform the track capability of the car to ultimate levels. All I'm waiting for is a bracket from Vauxhall :angry: and they're ready to go :groupjump: Car got a quite a bit of attention too, lots of people curious as to what it was like on the track and all complimentary that it looked good going round as was better in the flesh thats any pictures. We shared a garage with a formula Vauxhall which annihilated everyone :groupjump: although now I'm thinking about it BaT did say no single seaters were allowed. :unsure: There were a couple of nice Exiges, the usual bevy of S1's, Caterhams and Westfields, a few race prepped jap mobiles and of course 2 modded RS4's. Difficult to tell how the VXT did against the S1's Exiges I over took a few and was overtaken by a few but cos it was so hot all the times I was overtaken was on a cool down lap (even more crucial in the conditions) and the same was probably true for those I overtook. Ferrari 360 was dog slow but looked nice and nice RS porka looked lovely. All in all a good day out, but 6 hours of road and 5 hours of track in one day was a bit hard work in 30 degree heat, probably the toughest test for the VXT so far and it sailed through.

#2 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:04 PM

Splendid ! I feel a forum trackday coming on....

#3 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:13 PM

Splendid ! I feel a forum trackday coming on....

What a splendid idea!

Who was it on here who knew someone at the autodrome?

I reckon that would be the best place for us to go.

I would happily help organise......

#4 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:15 PM

1st Lotus day was 7 hours on the road and whatever time I spent driving on the airfield and my VX never missed a beat. 30 degrees that day to. Worst casualty was my sunburnt forehead!

#5 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:13 PM

think i could be up for a VX track day with all you "sensible" people :groupjump:

#6 stuntman

stuntman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, performance poetry, rock music and proper driving

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:21 PM

You can add me to the list, once car turns up (expected next week now, woo hoo) and I've run it in :)

#7 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:46 PM

Wish these track days could be arranged more on weekends. It's so difficult to plan for a weekday off in advance. :angry: :( :( :angry: Paul

#8 VX FLY

VX FLY

• 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:23 PM

You can count me and my friend in too (we have both orderd new VX220 N/A for track days) Look forward to it. Ian :ph34r:

#9 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:26 PM

BookaTrack sorted out a a couple evo forum track day, and I think Shiny Andy is registered here (he's on every other forum!). If you could get enough people together, I would have thought they could organise something.

#10 jonny5

jonny5

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Snowboarding, Music

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

chaps/chapesses,

we'd love to organise something for you guys. either an exclusive day or maybe an exclusive session at one of our public events?

take a look at our calendar and see which events are of interest.

J5
BaT

#11 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:00 PM

Elvington looks good - a ton and on a Saturday :groupjump:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users