Photo

Dump Valves

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Playing WW2 combat flight sims, my VXR... and surfing when there is any!!

Posted 20 July 2003 - 03:37 PM

Anyone up on dump valves for my new turbo.ive a qoute from Ambeance performance to supply and fit a collins and bell for 150quid,they say its a nice noisey one,Regal also do one of there own,which means me fitting it meself, when i see a tool kit my fingers start to bleed, before i even done anything. cheers

#2 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:15 PM

Why do it? Doesn't gain anything other than noise?

#3 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:48 PM

That's enough for some John. Even boring old fart I am considering some 'emotional' turning for my VX now its not my everyday car, but I'd hope to get at least better breathing from a new pipe & filter as well as a bit of rort. B) :D

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:16 PM

wel I'm getting the PiperX induction kit fitted but the Milltek exhaust is worth the money just for the noise B)

#5 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:09 PM

Replacement dump valves are a waste of time on the VXT (in fact, on most turbo cars). VTA ones are, generally, rubbish. If the vehicle was originally fitted with a recirculating DV there may be a case for fitting a better quality recirculating DV, but that's about it. Fitting a VTA in place of a recirculating one is not a good idea.

#6 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Playing WW2 combat flight sims, my VXR... and surfing when there is any!!

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:40 AM

i know they dont add any performance to the car but that whoosh sounds good the louder the better. My last car Ibiza 20vt had a bosch res dump valve plastic,i replaced it with a Baileys motorsport jobbie,whooooooosssshhhh hahaha. Does the vxt have a res one fitted? I am going to replace the airbox with a viper induction kit,replace thehi flow front pipe,and have Courtney do acs2 tune.I think that is all ill do to the engine. Ive replaced the front grill with the stienmetz grill,and am on the look out for any other body modifications if i like it ill stick it on. I went to that Vauxhall vx220 day at bedford,boy was i ill after coming of the track,but driving a vxt flat out for going on for a hour was something else. I couldnt finish the rest of the day to ill,they phoned me this morning asked would i like to do it again,no need to ask twice hahaha.Nice people. :sick:

#7 Chuck

Chuck

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Home Entertainment, Computing

Posted 21 July 2003 - 11:21 AM

I always thought changing a Re-circ to a VTA Dump Valve was a much better idea as your not putting heated air back into system !! Why is changing to a VTA a bad idea? all the Evo boys use to do this, me included. Are you concerned about the lack of air the system is expecting? running slightly rich means flame outs easier !!

Edited by Chuck, 21 July 2003 - 11:22 AM.

#8 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:31 PM

running slightly rich means flame outs easier !!

It also means you're overfuelling the car which will lead to bore washing and the subsequent thinning of your oil which obviously is not good for the health of your engine. VTA dumpvalves are a real great way of destroying your engine early

#9 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:29 PM

everything i know about dumpvalves is that they are supposed to prolong the life of the turbine, by dumping excess boost. The problem with piston type DPs is that you can get a bounce as the piston reaches bottom(or i should say sometimes) and this makes the engine run rich. Why do we change what the makers of these cars do, but to add our own individuality to it, I went to this vx day at palmer sport mine was the only turbo, but what realy made the diff was i replaced the grill(oh _hit my knuckles are bleeding again thinking about it ha ha heeeeyup im a nutter) B ut here is a new one lads, WHEELS, as in changing them,i cant find anyone other than steinmetz and i dont like what they got to offer!Any feed back vbe great. Anyone fitted a dumpvalve to there turbo? :jump:

#10 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:32 PM

oh i nearly fergot, newbie ME, i wanna be a super doooooper member,put my name forward who evers in charge. Anyone into WW2 flight sims? :groupjump:

#11 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

hi rasputin you a monk? :rolleyes:

#12 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:39 PM

and i always do a full oil change with filter every 6 months so thinning oil is not a prob.

#13 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:38 PM

Last one on dump valves it appears the vx turbo has one it is incorporated in the turbo. Baily motorsport do a kit which shuts that one down and you then can install there one which is much better quality and protegts the turbo,150£ from courtney thats with fitting as well. :blink:

#14 Timboski

Timboski

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:37 PM

I've had Chris at regal fit their bespoke Dump Valve for the same reason as previously mentioned ie: to protect the turbo - especially as I've also had the EDS software upgrade . . I find the noise (it sounds when the boost begins) is also useful to remind me not to use the turbo when the engine is too cold - 80-95C range only apparently? Timboski (ears still bleeding from the last standing start!)

#15 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

tell me more about the eds upgrade you ve had done plse. I ve only just past 2400 miles so far, been talking to courtney, they said get at least 3000 on the clock before i have the cfs2 software upgrade in the ecu,also steel front pipe should take it to around 240-45 bhp, that should be interessting lol. Did a standing start on mon dialed2500 revs sidesteped the clutch _hit, she squermed all over the place rear nearside wheel cliped the kerb took a peice of the alloy out darn it. :beat:

#16 Timboski

Timboski

• 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:13 AM

Had it done at just under 3K miles. It's their own remap program and it makes the car . . . . beastly quick! I found it takes a while to get used to managing the boost level - the slightest touch on the throttle and you are in orbit - maybe it needs tweaking a little to make it slightly more 'road usable'. The K&N has opened the inlet side a bit but I think it needs a 'smoother exit' now as the power seems to be forcing its way out! I take on board the comments about Db levels etc but the Regal exhaust system I saw sure looked sweet - will have to divert some funds to acquire it! It's a claimed 234 bhp & 274ftlb torque . . I believe it too :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users