I Want A Sports Exhaust

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:09 PM

Just got off the phone to Vauxhall and they tell me that their sports exhaust is not road legal, I wanted an exhaust that gave me a great improvment in the note of the exhaust, ie a bit louder, popping burbling etc etc. I have checked with them about warranty etc and they say If I have another after market one fitted it will not effect it (only the new exhaut wont be covered, as expected) As I am based in the Midlands, is there anywhere I can take my car to get another (legal) one fitted? cheers

#2 Dave

Dave

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:16 PM

Vauxhall supplied and fitted a Vaxhall Sports exhaust on my car as a gesture of goodwill. I doubt they would do that if it was not suitable for road use. I think its something to with european law but do a search it has been discussed before. Dave

#3 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:39 PM

AmD aren't far from the Midlands are they? I believe the Miltek is available from them

#4 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:47 PM

Just got off the phone to Vauxhall and they tell me that their sports exhaust is not road legal,

:D That's what makes it fun!! Live on the edge I'll be sniffing something at this rate :groupjump: cheers

#5 ChasB

ChasB

• Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:54 PM

Had one of the sports exhausts fitted when I bought my car & have to say that it sounds lovely (bit like a BDA for all you old-timers out there). It does say on it 'track use only' but you could always keep the original & fit it back on if you ever needed to (MOT's etc).

#6 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:19 PM

Just got off the phone to Vauxhall and they tell me that their sports exhaust is not road legal,
I wanted an exhaust that gave me a great improvment in the note of the exhaust, ie a bit louder, popping burbling etc etc.

I have checked with them about warranty etc and they say If I have another after market one fitted it will not effect it (only the new exhaut wont be covered, as expected)

As I am based in the Midlands, is there anywhere I can take my car to get another (legal) one fitted?

cheers

Come to the rolling road day at AmD in Bicester this Saturday and you'll get to hear one on mine (VXT).

#7 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:03 PM

I understood that the Vauxhall sports exhaust IS road legal but not for OEM fitment to new cars. Or is this balls?

#8 mags993tt

mags993tt

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:27 PM

That's great news if it's not road legal. Means when they fit you one they expect you to only drive on the track which in turn means that the warranty cannot be invalidated through track use as that is implied and they would have to inform anyone having one fitted that their warranty was no longer valid - which they do not. Super.

#9 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:30 PM

I think that Vauxhall are being very cautious in saying the exhaust is not road legal. It is not possible to homologate as new for a road car but several manufacturers offer louder exhausts as after market options (Porsche being the most notable) I think the Vauxhall exhaust is expensive for what it is and there are several other options to investigate. There will also be a Milltek on a 2.2 car at AmD on Saturday.. B)

#10 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:34 PM

I think the Vauxhall exhaust is expensive for what it is and there are several other options to investigate. There will also be a Milltek on a 2.2 car at AmD on Saturday.. B)

And a few varieties of Regal too :rolleyes:

#11 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:56 PM

Cool, I will try to get there, I would love to meet you guys and discuss various options etc. They did say to me on the phone (well 3 seperate people from vauxhall) that they would still fit it for me but its up to me if I then drive away and get caught. But the same 3 people said it was def illegal for road use. (not sure why they would say this if it wasnt) :unsure: Not sure about taking the chance spending £586.36 only to be told "oi thats too loud take it off". Plus I guess with other exhausts come a little increase in BHP. Its the noise I crave for, all part of the "Driving experience" in my opinion. Not sure what a 4-6 hp increase would do actually, as I have never modded a car before. Its this damm VX making me go mad! What a car!!!

#12 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:31 PM

It seems to be a standard line from Vauxhall dealers but also seems to be a very cautious attitude compared to some other marques. As I said, Porsche sell a lot of 911 with after market exhausts as do Aston Martin. A noise test is not part of the MOT so you won't fail on that. The police don't carry noise meters, so they would have to be pretty confident to pull you over. I really wouldn't worry too much. The Milltek, Regal and Vauxhall exhausts I have heard all produce a nice sound without being too 'Barry Boy' and I have heard of no-one else having problems with the police... Paul

#13 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:39 PM

I'm no expert but my understanding is: The standard exhaust is supposed to offer some crash protection as part of its design (!!!??? :beat: ). I assume the track version that they sell does not have this design and therefore potentially changes the cars characteristics in a crash. This is probably why many other manufacturers are less cautious...they were not silly enough to design in an exhaust that was (seriously) meant to disipate the energy in a crash!!! :drink: (As a designer I know all about those sorts of bad days in the office!!!) :flame: I have also heard that fittng the exhaust is an exhausting job too. Everything, I am told is squeezed in tight and hard to get to. Unfortunately I can only comment on hearsay and tittle-tattle as I have yet to get my car!!!... cheers

#14 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:43 PM

Fitting just the rear box is easy but the full system is a bit tight and takes about three hours. Paul, I didn't realise you were coming on sat - cool, that means we have a full range of exhausts to listen to B)

#15 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:53 PM

Well I fitted a sports exhaust last night - replacing the original. It's simple but tricky. You have to remove down/pipe and cat to take out the original as it's absolutely massive !! (and must weigh 5 times more than the performance exhaust (it is a Vauxhall one). Once old one out - then performance fits easy - as you have so much more space. Sound is good, as all previous reports - I especially like it on overun. The original is extremely well made - all stainless steel, as are the hangers. The sports exhaust looks and feels like mild steel - so assume it is.... the new price is way to much - it's basically like a motorbike pipe - and this will cost ~ 150 max. Mick

#16 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:56 PM

On the topic of sound; does anyone know the db figures for the Regal, Courtenay, and Vauxhall boxes? I know the standard one is 89db and the Miltek is 93db.

#17 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:25 PM

The miltek (on paper) looks like a great compromise but its a full grand fitted and thats a lot of money when there's fook all wrong with my standard one and it only gets me up to 11 horses IMO.

#18 Guest_riversideVX (Guest)

Guest_riversideVX (Guest)

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:51 PM

If anybody is interested, Ive developed my own sports exhaust from some old clingfilm tubes, 10mm UPVC drainpipe and a couple of bean tin s with the wrappers removed. Installation is a piece of cake with some duct tape. Saves about 15kg in weight, £550 and sounds really great for 3 seconds... :blink: Wheres me fire extinguisher... :(

#19 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:32 AM

Courtenay claim 91 dB for their system. Fitted, the full system is also the best part of £1000 and they claim to have seen 12 bhp gain on theirs. Dunno about the Vauxhall one, but it is quite loud

#20 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:44 AM

The miltek (on paper) looks like a great compromise but its a full grand fitted and thats a lot of money when there's fook all wrong with my standard one and it only gets me up to 11 horses IMO.

11bhp is not a bad gain (8% or so) and it does sound nicer B)

Turbo's always do better from sports exhausts though 22bhp up on mine is pretty good.

One thing about pricing on the Milltek, obviously AmD and PVD are making a profit out of this (they are business's after all) but the reason I had to get involved was to make sure the prices were kept as low as possible so we all benefited and didn't get ripped off by everyone trying to take a piece. Milltek won't supply direct so someone had to do it. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users