• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:00 PM

Hi I noticed from the results posted up on the Rolling Road day that there was a fair difference in output on the VX Turbos, I believe Mr R1's made 216bhp, Amrit's made 211, & a couple of others were bang on the mark at 199bhp (as was Thorney's pre modifications). My question to you guys is, how did you run the car in? I am trying to ascertain if there is a pattern between running in style/mileage etc which gives the discrepancy between the power outputs. For instance, did you stick to under a set rev limit for the first 1000 miles or not bother? What sort of mileage have you got now, and have you changed the oil yet? I can understand a small difference in outputs between engines, but 17bhp is quite a considerable margin? I know the running style has been covered before in previous posts, some think it best to stick to certain limits, change the oil after a certain amount of mileage, others just disregard this, but I just wanted to see if there was a pattern here. Regards Chris

Edited by net_team1, 12 August 2003 - 03:01 PM.

#2 Neg

Neg

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:19 PM

The manual said to 'run in' for 600 miles, both Lotus and Vauxhall said DO NOT LABOUR the engine so I never went below 1500 RPM during first 1000 miles Typically, I stayed between 2000 and 3000 for first 400 miles (that was fun...not) 2000 and 3500 up to 600 miles 2000 and 4000 up to 700 miles 2000 and 5000 up to 800 miles with no constant speed driving (motorway etc), no hard acceleration and oil changed at 1500 miles. First red light at 853 miles, never looked back since. I've always felt that my car is hesitant under acceleration (compared to half a dozen other VXT's I've driven), but the 'steady state' power output of the engine looked clean throughout the rev range on the plots from AMD. From this I conclude that the engine is basically sound, and some component is not performing properly during transient acceleration (any ideas ?) Also, the tick over is very lumpy and I wonder if the two symptoms are related ? Neg

#3 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:51 PM

It seems like an age ago now. 9,000 miles later in three months! (And £1200 on petrol!) I generally followed the recomended procedure during the running in process, but I did accelerate it a little. The engine was never pushed at all during the early days. No labouring and always waiting for the oil to warm up (not just the coolant). I never stayed at constant revs for too long as in previous experience I have discovered this can badly affect a new engine. Full throttle not used at all until about 4 or 500 miles and then the frequency gradually increased. Oil change at approx 1000 miles. My VX is driven pretty hard and often very gently too. But 1000 miles out of that 9000 has been round the Ring so it should be nice and lose by now. A point that might be worth considering also is fuel. On the rolling road day I was using regular unleaded but 60 or 70% of my fuel has been at least 97RON. Best fuel consumption is 36.2mpg and worst 14.5mpg. Most miles from a tank 221 using 34.2 litres. Giving me a theoretical max range of nearly 270 miles. However the actual overall average fuel consumtion has been 26.2 mpg so far. Can't wait to see what Optimax, Viper induction Kit and Milltek exhaust will give me if I do not buy the Sprint! 10% more power is what Thorney achieved and 10% would take mine to 237. Maybe I do not need the Sprint!!! :D Just been for a spin and cleaned it. I really really like this car!

Attached Files

Edited by R1_NUR, 12 August 2003 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:26 PM

Can't wait to see what Optimax, Viper induction Kit and Milltek exhaust will give me if I do not buy the Sprint! 10% more power is what Thorney achieved and 10% would take mine to 237. Maybe I do not need the Sprint!!!

After driving both, back to back its the torque we need :drink: and to get that we need a remap, but 250llb's is easily achievable especially when you consider that the Milltek and PiperX give us pretty much the bhp we need already.

#5 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 12 August 2003 - 09:52 PM

So d'ya reckon AMD would do a deal on a Zorst/Viper/remap in a 'one-r'? In time for Silverstone!!!!

Edited by R1_NUR, 12 August 2003 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:22 PM

So d'ya reckon AMD would do a deal on a Zorst/Viper/remap in a 'one-r'?

In time for Silverstone!!!!

Milltek due in first week of Sept......sorry.

Mine is due for charge cooler, remap and secretive brake upgrade kit in time though :P

#7 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:15 AM

Mine is due for charge cooler, remap and secretive brake upgrade kit in time though :P

All i ever here is me, me, me..... ;)

#8 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:26 AM

Thorney: Will all the Miltek exhausts have the new sharper back pipes you were telling me about? Or will the first batch be rounder? I'm trying to work out whether I should wait to place my order.

#9 amrit

amrit

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:30 AM

I drove the car at various speeds including motorway for the first 900 miles. Never red-lined (except once in error!) and kept it below 4000 rpm max. After the 900, I rev'd to the line a few times until it hit 1000. Then oil change and drive as you would with the car run-in. The car is never driven hard from cold and I always allow it to "cool" off for at least 30secs before swithing engine off.

#10 TURBO-CC

TURBO-CC

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 11:38 AM

I took it easy for the first 600 miles and now floor it when ever I can :D AMD results bhp 199.7 torque 212

#11 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, difficult to draw any conclusion from this, looks like you all pretty much followed the gentle running in route. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why we achieved the difference in power outputs at the rolling road day on the unmodified turbos? I thought with modern engineering & manufacturing tolerences that the cars would come out bang on 200bhp every time? Chris

#12 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:24 AM

I thought with modern engineering & manufacturing tolerences that the cars would come out bang on 200bhp every time?

I spoke with Stu about this and it seems (ahem) that Vxl are 'open minded' to some extent about outputs. The engines are mass engineered and as such 5-10% swing is understandable. (Some M3's for example have been tested at 15 lower than expected so I reckon we're doing well with an under reading).

As far as R1_NUR's car is concerned, he's done 9k miles now so I reckon the engine is just starting to loosen up now - hence the higher power.

#13 goofballs

goofballs

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:49 PM

Thorney, I was very impressed with the fact that your torque curve remained flat with the same spread of power as standard. It was a very nice exhaust upgrade. Was the chip remapped as well, to provide better settings with the new exhaust ? (extra breathing introduced by the exhaust will mean a remap is in order to make it less prone to flat spots, etc.) Have you got the viper kit ?, I can't be asked to wade through the postings, I have just come back off holiday and there were 17 pages to wade through. Is it right to assume that peak boost was not adjusted ? cheers PS: very nice upgrade, this is the best type of upgrade for those who require a spread of power, rather than a big boost hit. It kind of proves how restrictive the legalised cat is with regards to the VXT sprint. Your spread of torque, far outweighs the extra 6 bhp in the VXT sprint.

#14 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:10 PM

No remap as yet, all that was just the bolt on Milltek and PiperX - hence why I'm so pleased, we spent an inordinate amount of time of the Milltek as I wanted it perfect, I think we're pretty much dead on. I won't let AmD install the remap until the charge cooler is working, power at the expense of the engine aint my bag baby :D They reckon its all done now so its back in next week to finish it off I hope.

#15 goofballs

goofballs

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 08:39 AM

Sorry, one more question, I am assuming that you had the full Miltek exhaust system fitted ? If so, what is the retail price. cheers

#16 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Playing WW2 combat flight sims, my VXR... and surfing when there is any!!

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:07 PM

Hi, for the 1st 1000 miles i did not go over 4000rpm, now i floor it when i am able. No engine mods as yet, and the car is balistic. I WILL be in the next2-3 weeks taking it to the experts Coutney, there i think it will be a phase 1 remap, and get the extra BHP from changing a few things, then i think ot is a case of lioghtening the car. I am like someone else as said it is not the answer to give it a big ECU upgrade to gain the extra BHP. I did that on my last motor,Ibzia, took it to MTM, torguesteer was unreal.

#17 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:00 AM

Sorry, one more question, I am assuming that you had the full Miltek exhaust system fitted ? If so, what is the retail price.

cheers

Details are HERE

#18 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Playing WW2 combat flight sims, my VXR... and surfing when there is any!!

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:01 PM

Shes now at 3650, still aint got the oil changed told no need , I wanted to use mobil1 but told by my fitter who I trust to leave it to 1st service befor putting in the mobil. As far as the mods go the car is going Ill get rid befor 1st service THE sprint is due april. But other than that the car is very fast but I am finding it very understeerie, anyone found that with theres? I just LUUUUUUUUVE her! Imnotworthy

#19 HF_Evolution

HF_Evolution

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:03 PM

rolling roads WHY? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users