• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Guys, there was an earlier thread on this but it went off at a tangent somewhat.

I've been given the option to do a group buy on HID headlight conversions, they will be imported from Hong Kong and as such I'd need to get at least 20 kits.

A well respected guy I know from SELOC has been importing these kits for quite some time now, used on all manner of vehicles and for over 18 months has had no reported niggles, faults or failures.

They come in a complete kit, totally plug and play, they simply plug into the existing headlight wiring, no cutting of wires, no running cables to the battery, very simple. As such you can move them from car to car and remove them totally in a matter of minutes. Everything you need is included in the box, all fixings, cable ties and full instructions.

They are unbranded on the basis no one has put a sticker on them to give them a "name". I've had a play with them and they feel like a quality bit of kit, very solid, good quality connectors, they just feel "right".

The cost would be £180 per kit and include delivery. If you want to use dipped beam and main beam HID lights, you will need 2 kits, that's what I intend to do. I have used these as main beam and they are fine, they light up very quickly and as such there is no problem in using them to flash your lights at people.

Both kits (H1 and H7) are 6000k which appears to be the optimum colour of light, it is pretty much pure white, when I first lit them up in my garage I thought someone had lit up an arc welder in there! They are far brighter than and Xenon bulbs I have seen before and I currently use Osram Silverstars, they're just not comparable.

I've included photos below of the kit, if you are interested, please add your name to the list, indicating whether you want dipped beam or dipped and main beam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 stormtrooper

stormtrooper

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

I'll be interested in 1 x Dipped Beam set please. 1. Strormtrooper - Dipped Beam

Edited by stormtrooper, 11 June 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:11 PM

I'll be interested in 1 x Dipped Beam set please.

1. Strormtrooper - Dipped Beam

Bump, up to 7 sets now :)

#4 i need nos

i need nos

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

any before and after shots in the dark? id love to see the difference..

#5 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

Not at the moment, it's pretty damn hard to photograph the effect, it just doesn't convey the difference. A few of the guys on PH who have HIDs in their Elise say it's the best mod they've done to their car, which says something!

#6 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

cant believe more people arent interested??? IMO the lights are the shitest part of the VX and is the main reason i got a winter shed... Moving house so need all the dosh i can get atm :blink:

#7 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

Bump people, let's make this happen :)

#8 sixspeed

sixspeed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Bump people, let's make this happen :)

I've already got these on the VX... but wouldn't mind some for the Audi...

One H7 kit for me please!

-andy-

#9 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

One H7 kit for me too please. Many thanks Spencer

#10 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

I never use the shitty side lights ? :blink: so is that just 1 set for main beam? or is main beam the one that comes on when you flash ? bit crap with lights as you can tell.. does the bulb just get brighter? :-/

#11 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

I never use the shitty side lights ? :blink: so is that just 1 set for main beam? or is main beam the one that comes on when you flash ?

bit crap with lights as you can tell.. does the bulb just get brighter? :-/

The VX has 3 bulbs in the headlights.

Dipped Beam - The standard Bulb to see in the dark
Main Beam - The one for flashing people and used to considerably extend your vision, providing there is no oncoming traffic.
Sidelights - These do pretty much nothing at all, except maybe make the front look nicer.

It is the mainbeam and dipped beam which actually provide light, it's these two the group buy is for.

#12 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Anyone else? The order will be placed shortly...

#13 phillos

phillos

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:27 AM

Just wondering.... how long the bulbs typically last? how much the bulbs are to replace? where you can get replacements from when they do go? ...am I missing the point of HIDs? Can anyone that's fitted these to a VX comment on the installation experience?...or failing that to any car? Thanks

#14 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Just wondering....

how long the bulbs typically last?
how much the bulbs are to replace?
where you can get replacements from when they do go?

...am I missing the point of HIDs?

Can anyone that's fitted these to a VX comment on the installation experience?...or failing that to any car?

Thanks

According to the manufacturers the bulbs will typically last the life of the car, i.e. they should not fail at all.

I think the bulbs are about £60 for a set to replace, HIDs4U will sell you a set, no doubt many other place too.

The point of them is twofold, on one hand you get a set of extremely bright, pure white headlights the second point is that you can move them from car to car easily and you should never need to buy replacement bulbs.

More info is here:
http://www.hangar111.....26keyword=HID

Hangar111 sell single kits for £380!

#15 i need nos

i need nos

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

ok forget the candle power sidelights but what size are the main beam bulbs? i thought it was the same buld that flashed when u well flash someone??

#16 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

ok forget the candle power sidelights but what size are the main beam bulbs? i thought it was the same buld that flashed when u well flash someone??

Main beam is H7, dipped beam, is H1.

You are correct, flashing someone is just a short burst of main beam.

#17 i need nos

i need nos

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

so h1 or h7 is the buld u need for driving in normal night time circumstances? forget the flashing lol

#18 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

H1

#19 i need nos

i need nos

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

so all the people who have ordered h7 are buying the bulbs just to flash someone? i think they may need h1 as i assume most people want normal night time driving lamps??

#20 mcbunny

mcbunny

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

h1 is the main beam as in the second switch along and the h7 is the full beam as the one you drive around with on dark country lanes when no one else is arround and also flash with :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users