• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

The N/A bracket is bolted onto the vertical face of the engine with 15mm bolts, one is too long to get out without tilting the bracket so undo the others first. its a do by feel setup rather than looking. Other than that its identicle to changing the pax one (bar needing to support the engine)

The one on the left is a right tw@t to get at as it's too close to the sub frame to get a socket and ratchet on so needs to be done with a spanner and if it's done up tight some kind of lever off the back of the engine.

#22 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:35 AM

aye, needs a ring spanner to slacken off then get a ratchet spanner in there to save time (the flex head ones are particularly usefull on the VX)

#23 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

Just finished, thanks for the info guys chinky chinky Took me a totally uneccesary 6 hours :blink: 2 of which were spent trying to get the damn arch liner off - had to take a dremel to the screws as they were shagged. That also included lunch and a trip to Halfords in the middle :rolleyes: The top bolt, as you say, was a bitch. Managed to get a smaller ratchet over it and a BFOP over the ratchet handle in the end and undo it from underneath. Car's all sorted for it's first sprint next weekend now thumbsup chinky chinky

#24 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I've just replaced my two tubby mounts so I thought I would add this. The car is 40K+ so I decided to replace them now before they inevitably go. Nearside was O.K. but the offside had in fact gone but I wasn't aware of it. Must be cos I drive like a big girl's blouse. Nearside removal and replacement was straightforward except that all bolts were absolutely solid and took a lot of shifting. Offside was the same, in fact the bolt nearest the back bulkhead refused to shift and rounded off, I hammered a marginally smaller a 1/2" socket on instead pf the 13 mm and it rounded again so I was temporarily stumped. Here we come to the reason for this post, it may have been mentioned here but I haven't seen it. Many more experienced people here will be aware but this is for the benefit of those who are not. There are two types of socket, There’s the conventional type you buy in Haulfrauds etc which have the serrated inner. The serrations fit and grip on the corner of the bolt/nut and are OK for most applications however if you get a really stubborn one, the socket will simply round off the corners and you will not be able to remove the bolt/nut. There is however a second type of socket called a Hex socket which most professionals use. Instead of the serrated inner face, the socket has flat hexagonal faces (the higher quality ones in fact have a slightly concave towards the bolt face shape) that match the face of the nut or bolt head thus it works on a different gripping principle to an ordinary socket. Instead of gripping on the bolt/nut corner, it grips on the flats (nut/bolt face). So if you 'round' a nut/bolt using an ordinary socket, all is not lost because you can have a second go if you have a hex faced socket set (that you haven't used in the first place :rolleyes: ). Unfortunately I don't have a hex set; the only hex socket I have is the one I use for the wheel bolts. It's intended for an impact driver (they are invariably hex sockets) which I bought because it has a plastic sleeve that protects the alloys. So I went to see my friendly mechanic 'cos I know he has a hex set. The bolt in question that wouldn't move is the only one of the three that can in fact be accessed from above and outside the engine compartment by fitting a slim 3/8 drive extension bar between the engine and the bodywork with an articulated connector on the socket. With the hex socket on the bolt it took an 18" breaker bar to get the bolt to shift, in fact it went with such a crack I thought the bolt had snapped. Turns out the bolt was rusted alon the whole thread length. A hex socket, it will not round the bolt head; the bolt shank will snap before the socket will let go. If you have space with a bolt/nut that's really tight you can always apply heat with a blowtorch to shift it, but that's not really an option in confined spaces or on a plastic car. thumbsup You can also get hex ring spanners as well.

#25 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I've been researching this because I intend to buy a a set of these hex sockets, apparently the correct name is a 6 point socket. thumbsup

#26 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

I've been researching this because I intend to buy a a set of these hex sockets, apparently the correct name is a 6 point socket. thumbsup

........... or Nut Grip even :rolleyes:

#27 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Also called 'Flat Drive' sockets

#28 SimonM

SimonM

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

brilliant minds think alike.........

http://www.vx220.org...olt-t70340.html

#29 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone found an uprated mount? I've just been quoted £62.50 + VAT from Vaux. Are they a Vauxhall only part?

Did you replace the drivers side as well :unsure: ? it's a little more awkward :rolleyes:

(although in my case the damn thing was sheared cleanly apart and I couldn't get the mount off without removing the arm) ;)

I don't really have a problem with the engine mount failures if it happens every 27-50K miles. the pair cost about as much as good brake pads and are as easy to fit.

#30 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

I've just been quoted £62.50 + VAT from Vaux. Are they a Vauxhall only part?

There are uprated poly inserts available to beef up the front and rear mounts but nothing available for the side mounts.

Yes, they are a Vauxhall only part and there's no other current options. It might be worth taking up the AutoVaux offer of both side mounts for £80 instead of just buying the one. When I was speaking to them last week he said they were going to try and keep that offer on indefinitely, so should still be available.

#31 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

Cheers Techieboy.

One ordered for just over £50 and in the post (unlike Vauxhall). I've took the cash difference and ordered the poly lower inserts (from Courtenay) too in the hope it'll stop the top ones going again. It'll make me feel like I've done something other than fix breakages that way.

To help the thread with info; I've attached a pic taken from under the nearside wheel arch. The engine was jacked up slightly and I think it's easy to see the split at the bottom of the rubber cone.

I've just been quoted £62.50 + VAT from Vaux. Are they a Vauxhall only part?

There are uprated poly inserts available to beef up the front and rear mounts but nothing available for the side mounts.

Yes, they are a Vauxhall only part and there's no other current options. It might be worth taking up the AutoVaux offer of both side mounts for £80 instead of just buying the one. When I was speaking to them last week he said they were going to try and keep that offer on indefinitely, so should still be available.

Attached Files

#32 FrankenJim

FrankenJim

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

I hear the odd knock when i give the vx some gas, how much would it cost to get these fixed? Cheers jim.

#33 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

I hear the odd knock when i give the vx some gas, how much would it cost to get these fixed? Cheers jim.

I'd think 1 hour per side max and £80 for the two parts. Any mechanic should be able to jack up your engine and see it lifting if the mounts are split.

Access is via the wheel arch on either side.

#34 FrankenJim

FrankenJim

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

thanks mate Goes into tms for some work 2mora so will get them to have a butchers.

#35 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Great guide, got mine ready and doing the swap (try too) on the 12th April. will let you know how it goes

#36 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Great guide, got mine ready and doing the swap (try too) on the 12th April. will let you know how it goes

:groupjump:

now Fixed.... planning on doing the other side very soon.

#37 tink

tink

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

How is it that everytime I need to do some work on the little car there is current discussion on exactly what I want to do? Engine mounts ordered last week and was undecided whether I would do the work or Griffin when it goes in for its next service in 1000miles. .org has got to be a must have resource for VX owners. Cheers guys. chinky chinky

#38 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Im was shocked how easy the fitting was for the near side mount. very quick. I hear the off side is a undertray off job

#39 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

chinky chinky Offside damping mount now done!! Not a bad job, the thing that was the most pain was re fitting the rear wheel liner!

#40 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Thank you for the guide, most helpful! chinky chinky I've just done both sides. Not too bad a job but not pleasant in this weather when doing it outside on the drive....I'm chilled to the bone! Nearside one had gone, other was ok but since I'd ordered 2 and had the car up and tools out figured I'm best changing it anyway. Time for a :drink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users