• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:22 PM

£35K, 190 brake Toyota Celica engine. Didn't have time to read much more as someone stole it of the bookshelf at work Gits!

#2 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:22 PM

And its still uglier than a bowling shoe ! :D

#3 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:52 PM

I like bowling shoes.

#4 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:56 PM

I'm not doing this deliberately, but I beg to differ. I think it looks great.

#5 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:04 PM

Its getting a bit of a kicking on SELOC :beat:

#6 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:09 PM

We all know SELOC's view on some good looking cars. The Exige must be one sexy motor :P

#7 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:42 PM

Its getting a bit of a kicking on SELOC :beat:

What doesn't??

#8 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:03 PM

Apart from the Lotus website "style rendering" are there any decent pics of the new Exige? If so, where?

Also on the Lotus website I found this intersesting remark:

"A comprehensive study of the U.S. market and the success of the Elise in Europe and world markets have shown that there is a demand for a small, lightweight and very high performance sportscar in the U.S. While remaining a hand-built car, a new state of the art manufacturing facility at its Headquarters in Hethel, England has enabled Lotus to build cars at a higher volume and introduce unprecedented quality standards, vital for today’s discerning customer."

Now I wonder what other cars are built at this "state of the art manufacturing facility" ;)

Lotus say the Elise keeps the K-series...

except in the USA where it gets the Toyota 190bhp motor (? weighed down with all mod cons???)

Going on the "style rendering", I agree with paulb that the new Exige looks good – more sophisticated than the first – but that has to be secondary to performance for this car IMO.

#9 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:39 PM

Pics from the mag... Not brilliant I'm afraid

Attached Files

#10 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:40 PM

and the three quarter view which I rather like

Attached Files

#11 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:50 PM

splutter! :o ... thanks for the pics :)

I hope these are particularly unflattering angles because from the front pic it looks like a miniature hearse :blink: and the back looks very lardy and top heavy :(

But who sees an Exige/Elise/VX from below as in these shots? Hope I'm right in saying that this is just Autocar's photographer trying to be dramatic, but really just being stupid! :beat:

#12 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:54 PM

I much prefer the S2 Elise to the S1, but those pics make the S2 Exige look far less mean than the S1. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen Evo's pics

#13 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:12 PM

I think the angle is terrible also. But I think the rear three quarter view could be superb from the right place. The thing that interests me is that it has no visible exhaust pipe. I saw an Elise with a 'new' engine and no visible exhaust testing at Hethel on one of my trips there. It had five stud rear wheels and was running on VXT rear wheels with Lotus fronts. The new Exige has custom wheels made by Rimstock. I can't see them having five stud on the rear and four on the front on the production so think there is a chance that the Exige has VX stud pattern wheels (especially as it has ABS). Could be an alternative wheel solution (16 front and 17 rear again) Paul

#14 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:15 PM

Forgot to say I think black does the car no favours. It's been suggested on SELOC that as the car is prerelease, they want the shape to obscured in case it changes before release.

#15 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 09:42 AM

The funniest thing is the "Hardcore" Exige will be availible with air-con, ABS and central locking and weighs over 900KG. Someone give them a prod on seloc please!

#16 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 09:52 AM

SELOC are already going mad about it. Central locking was something Lotus learnt from the VX Turbo and they were very excited about it. Air con is an essential in a car like that if you are going to drive it on a hot day. The engine is in the car with you! And ABS is an EU requirement from 2004 or 2005 so is also essential. I thought the official weight was "under 900 kg"? Still, Gavan Kershaw got it lapping quicker than the S1 Exige around Hethel. Can't all be bad!

#17 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:55 AM

The thing that interests me is that it has no visible exhaust pipe. I saw an Elise with a 'new' engine and no visible exhaust testing at Hethel on one of my trips there. It had five stud rear wheels and was running on VXT rear wheels with Lotus fronts.

The new Exige has custom wheels made by Rimstock. I can't see them having five stud on the rear and four on the front on the production so think there is a chance that the Exige has VX stud pattern wheels (especially as it has ABS).

Could be an alternative wheel solution (16 front and 17 rear again)

Paul

Just checked the small photo on the front cover of Autocar Paul, and it does have 5-stud rears and 4-stud fronts. Might still be a pre-production job though :blink:

#18 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 24 September 2003 - 11:07 AM

It's just another parts bin car from a company that seems as short on ideas as it is on hard cash. I really wish someone would go and sort Lotus out rather than have the poor thing passed around like a plate of yesterday's french fancies. Either that or take the mangy old thing out into the yard and put it out of its misery.

#19 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 11:49 AM

It sounds like Proton are sorting Lotus out. Now back to making an operating profit and effectively reducing their debt.

Remember that the Elise style chassis is the most innovative thing to hit car design since the monocoque.

I think Proton are doing a sterling job. Rather than waste valuable resource on developing a brand new car right now, do enough to keep interest alive and return the company to health and then start working on a multiplatform development. They are taking the Elise to the US, which should help a lot. They have a new, and very capable, engine in the car. They are slowly sorting out the dealer network.

Hats off to Proton as far as I am concerned...

Paul

Edited by paulb, 24 September 2003 - 11:50 AM.

#20 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:06 PM

I know, I know. I'm being hard on them. I spent the morning in a paper mill that was closing down and I was (am) in one of my "state of British manufacturing" moods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users