#401 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:29 AM

One of the reasons we've been holding off doing some of this work for people (as well as the workshop being full for next month) is that I'm yet to be convinced that the full details are clear enough. I've been told *categorically* that the LY wheels are not affected but as this information doedn't seem to correspond to the wheel manufacturers statement that no HT stamp means no heat treating (the basic issue causing the fault) I am loathe, in fact we won't do any of the recall work on LY's until I'm sure. I've asked this question to Vauxhall but there are only a couple of people there who know exactly what they're talking about with ref the VX220 so I'm waiting for them to return from holiday so they can confirm this. As soon as I know - you will. OK? The vacuum hose is another issue as there are numerous dealers wither fitting the wrong bit, or talking too long, seeing as we get paid by Vauxhall for this the amount of time it takes is crucial so the devil is in the detail.

#402 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football (gooner), Bikes

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

One of the reasons we've been holding off doing some of this work for people (as well as the workshop being full for next month) is that I'm yet to be convinced that the full details are clear enough.

I've been told *categorically* that the LY wheels are not affected but as this information doedn't seem to correspond to the wheel manufacturers statement that no HT stamp means no heat treating (the basic issue causing the fault) I am loathe, in fact we won't do any of the recall work on LY's until I'm sure.

I've asked this question to Vauxhall but there are only a couple of people there who know exactly what they're talking about with ref the VX220 so I'm waiting for them to return from holiday so they can confirm this. As soon as I know - you will. OK?

The vacuum hose is another issue as there are numerous dealers wither fitting the wrong bit, or talking too long, seeing as we get paid by Vauxhall for this the amount of time it takes is crucial so the devil is in the detail.

Thanks John

I take it it's still OK for me to bring the car in on the 23rd for hose and MOT if not wheels?

#403 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

Would it be easier to get the Vacuum hose yourself and fit it ? How much is the hose ? Are all Turbos effected ? Whats the telephone number for the recall help line at Vauxhall Please Thanks Jas

#404 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Whats the telephone number for the recall help line at Vauxhall Please

Try the first post of this thread? :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

Called Vauxhall Recall centre today on 0118 945 8500

#405 Shamone

Shamone

• PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Cars-VX220- Focus ST-Mini Cooper S - Bikes-Honda Hornet - Skiing

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

I too would like to carry out the work myself as there is NO WAY I want my local dealer to do it. It's just too stressfull letting them get their hands on it :beat:

Here's a link to some basic instructions: http://www.vx220.org...f=2&t=38224&hl=

The pipe can be bought from: http://nfauto.co.uk/gates.htm but I've no idea how much is needed.

I've heard horror stories about the pipe being cable tied in the sills. No idea what you can do if this is the case.

Hope this helps, Shamone.

#406 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

Whats the telephone number for the recall help line at Vauxhall Please

Try the first post of this thread? :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

Called Vauxhall Recall centre today on 0118 945 8500

:P thanks think i am loosing my eyesight as well as my mind

Edited by jasvxt, 14 August 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#407 Angelplayz

Angelplayz

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife to be, Angela & my 2 dogs Sammy & Daisy.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

Looked at my wheels yesturday while up on a ramp getting a service and can I confirm something (dont :flame: me if this is mentioned earlier in the thread as I am at work and barley have the chance to type this email let alone anything else) While I didnt have the wheels off, I we did see PT stamped on the wheels. Is it possible to have PT and HP marked on them?? I did ring the recall help line but they said that I only had the brake servo re-work due. Anyone else had Vauxhall tell them the work wasn't due and then it is once they check??? Cheers guys

Edited by Angelplayz, 19 August 2006 - 08:00 AM.

#408 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

i have both pt and ht marked on my wheels and next to each is a rectangular raised area. the rectangular raised area next to the ht marking contains a stamped x. i have taken this to indicate that my wheels have been heat treated and dont need to be repalced. vauxhall recall line confirmed that i was only due the hose rework and not the wheel recall. maybe this clears any confusion caused by having both pt and ht marked on a single wheel?

#409 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

I took my vx to the dealers last week. They've ordered a new set of rear wheels and a brake hose. It's strange though. My car almost has the same vin number as purebobs but his doesn't need rear wheels and it's almost a year newer than mine??

#410 csl_freak

csl_freak

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Just for info, read in previous posts that dealers where allocated 60 minutes for wheels and 90 for vacuum tube. In Switzerland they have been allocated 3 hours just for the Vaccum...took mine in last week , wheels arrived last week, nice timing...

#411 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

Just for info, read in previous posts that dealers where allocated 60 minutes for wheels and 90 for vacuum tube. In Switzerland they have been allocated 3 hours just for the Vaccum...took mine in last week , wheels arrived last week, nice timing...

Just had a call to say my car that was booked in over a week ago can't be worked on today as they havent been able to get the part "for ages now".

WOuld have been nice to know that before today . thumbsdown

#412 vx'DD

vx'DD

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

Had my wheels and hose done today at Baylis Cheltenham, Dropped it off at just after 8AM and they estimated 14:30, they called me at 14:50 to say it was ready to be collected. Wheels look good just need to get inside the rim dirty or clean the front ones to make them match. The hose is new front to back and don't know if it's in my mind but the brakes actually feel better, pedal feels softer still responsive. To be honest I was a bit nervous particularly when I saw the state of the car park this morning, thought there was no way I was going to get it out of their scratch free but I am well chuffed with the whole job :D

#413 johnboy_78

johnboy_78

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Anyone else had to pay to get a courtesy car? We're not talking a fortune here (£10 :P ) But surely for recall work, the good Vauxhall customers shouldn't be left out of pocket?? They say it's a charge to add me to their insurnce policy :blink: Is this normal???

#414 Tony

Tony

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Railways, Photography, DIY

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Is this normal???

depends, if I go to the dealer that supplied, MOT'd and services both cars, then no, If I went to another Vauxhall dealer for the first time, then yes

Edited by Tony, 21 August 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#415 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

Anyone else had to pay to get a courtesy car? We're not talking a fortune here (£10 :P ) But surely for recall work, the good Vauxhall customers shouldn't be left out of pocket??

They say it's a charge to add me to their insurnce policy :blink:

Is this normal???

It depends on the garage you use. The one I use in Shropshire say that you have to provide a cover note from your own insurance company (cost me £15). The one I use in Grove just give you a car (tho there is a £10 optional charge to cover any claims - and you have no excess to pay)

#416 johnboy_78

johnboy_78

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

Anyone else had to pay to get a courtesy car? We're not talking a fortune here (£10 :P ) But surely for recall work, the good Vauxhall customers shouldn't be left out of pocket??

Is this normal???

It depends on the garage you use. The one I use in Shropshire say that you have to provide a cover note from your own insurance company (cost me £15). The one I use in Grove just give you a car (tho there is a £10 optional charge to cover any claims - and you have no excess to pay)

Interesting! This £10 charge is purely to get onto their policy. After that there is a £1000 excess for any claims :o Might enquire about paying an extra £10 for an excess waiver! Strange that different garages apply different charges for the same thing. The garage I used (and never will again) for servicing and MOT would not offer a courtesy car at all. Only a bus service into town (which didn't help me as I worked out of town!).

#417 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

im loathed to but i feel ill have to sling mine into browns of loughton even though they come across as total gits lol, they sold the car originally which might be a start. Then get the car inspected and try to get any rework done without too much grief.

#418 johnboy_78

johnboy_78

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Is this normal???

Interesting! This £10 charge is purely to get onto their policy. After that there is a £1000 excess for any claims :o Might enquire about paying an extra £10 for an excess waiver! Strange that different garages apply different charges for the same thing. The garage I used (and never will again) for servicing and MOT would not offer a courtesy car at all. Only a bus service into town (which didn't help me as I worked out of town!).

Well after my mini moan last night, Vauxhall either forgot to or changed their mind about charging me £10 for their courtesy car. Perhaps the shame of having to drive around in a Mariva for the day was a high enough price to pay in their eyes :P

Unfortunately the first impressions of the garage (in Stirling) were no better than any previoous experience of a VXL dealer. Unhelpful reception staff who tried to assure me that they knew more about changing a servo hose than the customer. I had asked if they could check out an annoying rattle under the dash when they had it off and i was assured that that wouldn't be possible as the dash doesn't come off to fix a brake problem..... :beat:

Also asked for someone to inspect the car before i left it (to avoid any arguments over any damage that might appear on the car today), and i was told that they do that as a matter of course, after the customer leaves. Great way to get out of any blame as far as i can see. "No that was there when we checked the car after you left sir.... " And i was then told that if any damage happened in the car park it wasn't their fault anyway, so the check wouldn't necessarily show who caused any damage. :blink:

I need a nice relaxing day at work before getting back in the wonderful Mariva to collect my beloved VX! :sleepy:

#419 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

Mine is being raped worked on by Phoenix Croydon today for recall/rework :) . Will let you know how it goes.

No courtesy car available for 3-4 weeks so I got the bus. Nearly gave bus driver heart attack when I handed over a £10 note. for a £1.50 fare. He nearly choked. That moment was worth the fare in itself!

Edited by XXX, 22 August 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#420 Moody Matt

Moody Matt

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

According to the (very pleasant) lady at VXL Care mine doesn't need wheels but does need the hose doing. Being the suspicious type, I'm going to check the markings on the wheels anyway. It's not that I don't trust them but garages etc never fill me with confidence.....!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users