Extra Instruments Via Obdii ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 capelink

capelink

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:59 PM

Any body know if you can get any instrumentation that taps into the OBDII port for run-time monitoring of engine parameters - besides the kit found in dealerships obviously :) ? I was considering getting a Spa dual gauge which looks very trick and measures boost pressure and Intake temp. Lots of other features are available, but as standard it allows you to set limits on either measurement which will trigger a warning light (or trip a relay that activates water injection or a charge-cooler pump once the intake temp goes over a set limit for example). The only problem is that you obviously have to start drilling sensors into the intake system to measure the temps. It all just seems a bit stupid when the engine management is constantly measuring this (and countless other levels too). Whilst I was in the local Petrol Station the other night, I had a quick thumb through a Vauxhall mag and noticed a firm was doing some sort of box that allows the display of various parameters through the remote display found on many Vauxhalls. Nearly, but no cigar. Anyone seen anything more suitable ?

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:06 AM

all I would want to add to a pumped-up turbo car, is an OIL temp. gauge.... monitoring oil temp is the real thing about how much stress the engine is undertaking, exp. on track....I would not bother on the NA, always at ease temp-wise... B)

#3 capelink

capelink

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 09:41 AM

The oil temp gauge is normally quite an easy thing to add on to any car. At worst you normally just swap the sump plug for one with a built-in temperature sender at the next oil-change - but this ODBII stuff is pretty clever and I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the things it monitors anyway. I agree that it's well worth monitoring though. On turbo cars probably the best thing to monitor is the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) and this applies to NA too. It is the best way to find out what's going on in the cylinder itself - tells you if it is too lean for example. IMHO the next best thing to watch is intake temps which lets you know how the intercooler/charge-cooler is working and if the engine has just lost 30bhp due to the boost being limited by the ECU as this is too high. Problem with this is the drilling/tapping of sensors into the intake system and the fact that you need to remove the pipes to stop swarf being left (and its quite a sphincter moment when DIY too !) The sensors for this stuff are in the car from the factory to feed the ECU. Just seems pointless bolting on a sensor to measure something that is being measured anyway. I did download a list of ODBII codes and measurements from some WWW site - you'd be amazed what info if available from that little port !

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 26 October 2003 - 10:11 AM

On a related point we've designed a centre consol (in CB of course ;) ) along the same lines as the ali one fitted to the Lightnings to house some more guages. Plan was/is for oil temp, boost (for turbo's obviously) and whatever everyone chooses. The OVD port idea is a good one cos it means less plumbing so let me know how you get on.

#5 capelink

capelink

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 05:13 PM

OK - I'll keep digging. The console idea sounds good - I'd be interested in seeing a pic if/when you've got one. The trickest things I've seen to date are packages for the Palm type PDA computer thingies which come with software and a cable to plug into the ODBII port (about US$200 from memory). They give some pretty flash real-time pictures/graphs of all the engine parameters. Very nice, though I'd still rather have a gauge even if it does need to be plumbed in. I'll be sure to do a full photo-record of any mods I do in the future and post to the forum.

#6 ddpunter

ddpunter

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:40 PM

this sorta gear?

http://www.psi3.co.uk/products.html

d

#7 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 27 October 2003 - 05:42 PM

I'd still like to retain traditional look guages but just use the OBD port to pick up the feed?

#8 Blanchie

Blanchie

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:14 PM

Sound like a good idea. B) Can the selection of gauges be tailored? I do miss the extra gauged info. ie Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, DVM.

#9 capelink

capelink

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:31 PM

ddpunter - good link. Them bleedin' Subaru's get all the best bits, though they do say they are trying to release a generic ODBII model, they don't say when :( I'll fire off an email to them anyway.. nothing to loose.

Must admit, I'd rather have more traditional gauges too, though if they did a fully-featured unit to plug into the ODBII socket, I think I'd go for it - for ease of installation (like they say.. plug-and-play).

Blanchie - have a look at the dual gauges on This Site

You want gauges.?. then surely this lot must do the trick :D

There are so many different makes of dials/gauges on the market, some better quality than others and most down purely to your own taste. I like the Spa Dual-gauges.. I think the idea of two gauges in one is excellent as are the limit/trigger and recording features, and I do like the colours/digital readouts (sort of matches the VX pod).

#10 capelink

capelink

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:36 PM

Forgot to mention - just follow the link in my previous post and check out the brake bias gauge...... trick or what ?!? :P

#11 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:34 AM

The On Board Diagnostics (OBD) Connector is basically a breakout of the cars wiring systems, with access to the K-Line (low speed serial) and CAN (if available) buses, with which to communicate with the various ECU's on the car. Generic info could be a problem, as although most vehicles use the Keyword 2000 protocol for comms, there's a lot of leyway - hence there are the standard tools to plug into the OBD that the dealers use - but this do not work across all vehicles. Halfords sell a low cost version of the dealer tools but I don't think this would help. We might be able to develop something in house (as we are moving toward low volume manufacture) that would do the job. Will make some enquiries...

#12 SILVERSPEED

SILVERSPEED

• Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:43 AM

Thorney - the centre consol - will this be an item that AMD can supply and fit? Would it be able to fit on the top of the dash? How close is it to being available? cheers

#13 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:32 PM

Thorney - the centre consol - will this be an item that AMD can supply and fit? Would it be able to fit on the top of the dash?

How close is it to being available?

cheers

Centre consol is a self fit job, a bit of wiring only really (plus instruments as well of course which AmD could fit if you didn't want to).

One templete done (crap) next template due next week I hope.

I'm gonna get piccies doen fo all of this and add an ecommerce server function to the site so people can order in confidence and not pay the Paypal rate.

#14 ddpunter

ddpunter

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 03:16 PM

Have seen this gear advertised in mags over here-can't remember which ones, but sommit to do with tuning or info via the obd port...anyone able to translate??

http://usuarios.lyco...juhaspowershop/

#15 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:09 AM

What we need is a smily that people can use when resurrecting threads from the dead :) On another note, is there anymore news on getting some sort of guage pod thingy? I'd quite like to know the oil temp. cheers Ben

#16 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:51 AM

Carbon people have a part to work form but not heard back yet....I;ll chase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users