Photo

BrAKing Problem. New Disks & Pagid Rs-14s.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angelplayz

Angelplayz

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife to be, Angela & my 2 dogs Sammy & Daisy.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

Well Now I'm pissed off!! had my car booked in for new Disks & Pads all round but they only had time to do the front Disks and Pads so at the moment my car feels Shite! The old Disks really are shot (corroded quite badly) and now I have nice shiny new disks and Pagids on the front, but the old disks and 1144's on the back. The car just feels so out of shape at the moment it's unbelievable. before I could brake with no hands on the steering wheel and the car would come to a stop in a straight line. Now it either pulls to the left or right (I guess as the brakes / Disks are like chalk and cheese at the moment) Also while bedding the fronts in, the ABS has been cutting in a lot more than it used to. Is this me being hyper sensitive to the braking now or because of the mis-balance? Getting the rears done on monday so hopefully this will sort it out (I must say that the braking feels better even with the in-balance) Before anyone asks, I am putting up with only getting the fronts done because I'm getting it done at my work for £20 per hour labour rate by a Vauxhall trained mechanic so I can't really complain! Can anyone just confirm to me that the reason for the differance in "feel" and balence when braking is just because of the differant Brakes / Pads front and rear? Cheers Dean

#2 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

Pagids and 1144s are night and day apparently - add that to the new discs vs. the discs with lips and i think that's your answer thumbsup

#3 Angelplayz

Angelplayz

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife to be, Angela & my 2 dogs Sammy & Daisy.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thats what I thought. The ABS scares the hell out of me though, although in fairness I was bedding them in rather hard, as Pagid Advised on the web (although braking from 100+ with that rear judder was a real brown trousers moment! :o and some sort of ABS upgrade / cutout may be in order. I'll withhold judgement on that point until I've got the rears done and bedded in. Chers again Lazy.

Edited by Angelplayz, 14 March 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#4 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

Pagids are a lot too strong for stock front wheels imo ;)

#5 Turbo²

Turbo²

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

Dont get it really.. You buy the hardest, hardcore pads and complain that they squeal? As the box implies , track use only. There are some issues when using them on the road. The bad feel when the pads are cold, the noise, the ABS is not a good idea. And why use diffrent pads front and rear? They are ment to work together, as a "team" :) Sounds like you should have bought a more street oriented pad. (mintex all around)

#6 RichH

RichH

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

There are some issues when using them on the road.
The bad feel when the pads are cold, the noise, the ABS is not a good idea.

Hang on a second, there isn't any problem using them from cold. They work absolutely fine. Maybe if you live in Sweden and it's -20 degrees it's an issue but certainly not in the UK. I'd be more than happy with the stopping power if I had to do an emergency stop 10m after getting into my car. I agree the braking won't be as good as when they're hot, but when cold they are certainly equal to any other pad.

Sometimes they squeal but I think that this is more down to the bedding in proceedure used. Mine are silent except in constant stop start traffic with very light use and even then they are no worse than the Mintex I used before, and after one decent (i.e. normal) application the squeeling stops again. Plans fitted them so I guess they know how to bed them in properly. On an average journey I wouldn't hear any squealing at all.

As for the ABS I can't comment as I have a VXR with the proper unit, although I didn't have any problems on my old NA either. I'd suggest that if you've got different front/rear pads on then that's what's causing the ABS problems, not the Pagids themselves. If you had them fitted all round they would be fine.

I've been a long time believer in mintex and had them fitted to my NA for 2.5 years, and the only reason I didn't upgrade to Pagids was the fear of the squeal! As they were fitted to the VXR when I bought it I didn't have a choice, but I've got to say that I'd never go back now. The stopping power is significantly increased and the squeal, well it doesn't really exist. Ok if you live in london and drive in traffic for an hour every day it will start a bit, and might annoy you but anybody who uses these cars on motorways or on A/B roads won't have that problem (assuming that the bedding in process is the key factor and it's done correctly).

Don't just write them (or anything else) off because of things that people have said on this site without trying them themselves. Buy some, fit them, and if you don't get on with them straight away, swap them for mintex. I'm sure there would be people willing to take them off your hands. That said, In the case of these pads, I bet you won't take them off.

#7 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

the abs may well be working more, as the braking is better than the tyre grip now. I have had 1155 mintex in my old turbo, and rs14 in my vxr, night and day even from cold they are far superior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users