Abs Cut-off Switch

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 toreide

toreide

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

Fitted Toyo R888's yesterday. What a revelation. Huge improvement over stock as expected. The only drawback was the ABS giving me the hard pedal over very bumpy stuff.

Posted Image

Solution: Fit ABS cut-off switch.

I have read the various threads and guides, but as a noob I want to be on the safe side before I cut anything. As I have a left-hand drive Speedsters, layout seems opposite to the VX's.

My question is if take of the connector from the ABS ecu, expose the wires, pick the yellow wire I can see in there ( amongst a million others of various colours :blink: ), install switch - is this correct?

pic 1:
Posted Image

pic2:
Posted Image

#2 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Drinking and travelling about.

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

Yes that is correct. I just used a spade connector on mine. Tracked on monday for the first time without ABS enabled and it really is so much better :) Obviously make sure you only connect/disconnect it with the ignition off :P

#3 toreide

toreide

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

Thanks!

#4 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

I am so annoyed with my ABS I'm going to fit another cutoff switch in the cabin and have it turned off in all dry weather.

#5 Gary Broad

Gary Broad

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:51 AM

I am so annoyed with my ABS I'm going to fit another cutoff switch in the cabin and have it turned off in all dry weather.

Had my ABS switch fitted by Plans while I was there having the geo sorted and can confirm positive results when switched off!
Seems to be worse when running harder suspension settings and hitting bumps when braking.

#6 Alex Os

Alex Os

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

I cut into one of the two wires which runs to the ABS fuse in the fuse box, got a toggle switch from Halfords(~£2-50), extended the wires by about 200mm, connected to the switch and then fitted the switch through a 1/2" hole which is already in the front crash structure just next to the fuse box. (Thanks Mr M) Really easy to do, only takes about 30mins. thumbsup

#7 Karlosfandango

Karlosfandango

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

Fitted one to mine yesterday after nearly binning it when the pedal went hard.

I followed the guide but used a key operated switch from Maplin.

Posted Image

I just routed the wires through the bulk heads and inside the dash. Took a little while but looks very tidy. I mounted the switch near the ingition as it's out of the way. As it is key operated I have the key on my bunch and it can then only be operated when the keys are out of the ignition, seems to work well.

Edited by Karlosfandango, 07 April 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#8 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

Good thinking Karlos, I think I'll be doing the same. I already have one under the bonnet but something like that would be much better. Do you have any pictures of where you put it and how you routed the wires?

#9 Karlosfandango

Karlosfandango

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:52 PM

A quick list of how I done it.... -Solder two wires into switch and twist wires together for about 3 metres, then cover in insulation tape to form a loom. -Remove four screws around ignition cowl and pull apart. -Drill hole big enough to mount switch. -Remove dash fascia and remove stereo. -Mount switch (araldited the back nut aswell) and run wires up through behind heater and head unit. -Find gromit behind head unit and run wire through into footwell. -Find gromit into front compartment and run wires into it. -Tie wrap wire in place to keep it tidy. -Lay the loom up against the exposed yellow wire and cut the to suitable lengths. -Splice wires together by soldering and insulate. -Tie wrap all the pieces/wires back into place. To help pull the loom through the gromits I used a piece of solid copper wire used in house wiring. The pic won't show too much but I'll see if I can sort something out tomorrow thumbsup

#10 McFly

McFly

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:B-Roads, trackdays, etc.

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

pic1:
Posted Image

I'm about to do the same, but I've realized that the ABS connector has three yellow wires: a full yellow one, a yellow/black striped one and a yellow/grey striped one...which one should I cut? :unsure:

Edited by McFly, 15 April 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#11 bazzio

bazzio

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

:tumble: i thought taking out fuse 22 dose the job????

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

that disables the speedo :rolleyes: if you dont want to fit the switch then take out the front driverside abs switch

#13 McFly

McFly

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

that disables the speedo :rolleyes:

if you dont want to fit the switch then take out the front driverside abs switch

Taking out the fuse or the ABS connector has the same side effects...the only way to go without problems is to cut the right wire and install a switch.

Please, anybody knows which wire should I cut from the ABS connector? The full yellow one, the yellow/black striped one or the yellow/grey striped one? :tumble:

Posted Image

#14 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

that disables the speedo :rolleyes:

if you dont want to fit the switch then take out the front driverside abs switch

Taking out the fuse or the ABS connector has the same side effects...the only way to go without problems is to cut the right wire and install a switch.

it does do the same thing but will disable the speedo how ever taking the front driverside abs switch out disables the abs and keeps the speedo working

Edited by joe_589, 15 April 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#15 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

The solid yellow wire.

#16 McFly

McFly

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

The solid yellow wire.

Thank you!!! :rolleyes:

#17 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

it works just done it in 10 mins yellow wire it is spot on ouchie thumbsup

#18 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

it works just done it in 10 mins yellow wire it is spot on ouchie thumbsup

Opps, I meant the brown/white wire.

Joking :lol:

I cut the wire a few inches along the loom from the ABS connector, relocated the towing hook and rubber grommet to the other side of the car, then installed a switch from maplins using the now vacant hole.

But I like the idea of having a key operated switch in the cabin so might try that sometime. The maplins key operated switch looks ok but I have managed to break the keys easily by being hamfisted.

Edited by Ouchie, 15 April 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#19 McFly

McFly

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

It's done! :groupjump:

Edited by McFly, 16 April 2009 - 07:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users