Photo

Cryo2 Cooling System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SteveVXT

SteveVXT

• 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:42 AM

Has anyone seen the (Design Engineering's) CRYO2 air intake and fuel cooling system. Maybe this is a possible solution to intake heat problems on tuned VXT's with or without a charge cooler. Demon Tweeks are selling it in the UK, but it's much cheaper on US web sites.

#2 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:40 AM

Do you need to keep repacing the co2 bottle?

#3 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:49 PM

I've checked with the supplier. You do have to keep replacing the bottle. Apparently its lasts for approx 3 mins.

#4 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:24 PM

3 mins! :o What's the difference between this and NOS?

#5 nonterraquous

nonterraquous

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:32 PM

The main difference is cost. Apart from cooling I also suspect CO2 doesnt have the same performance enhancing abilities ;) that nitrous has. I know how N2O breaks down and works once it has been injected into the engine (used it for a couple of years on my Honda, alas no VX yet), CO2 is obviously chemically different and (possibly?) doesnt break down in the same way and at the same pressures as N2O - any chemists in the house? :) I believe the equipment used to inject CO2 is no different to a dry nitrous kit and is also used as a fake purge kit, again because it is cheaper than venting nitrous. 3 minutes isnt so bad, how long do you spend at full throttle (ignore trackdays :) )? dumping the 5lb bottle and installing an 11lb CO2 bottle ...er... fire extinguisher will give you just over 6 mins use :) Adjusting the jetting, if possible, may give you even longer, but obviously less gas means less cooling. Regards, Scott.

#6 nonterraquous

nonterraquous

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

Just been thinking about the chemical difference between CO2 and N2O - I think there is more oxgen released when the N2O is broken down in the engine than when the CO2 is. I'll still wait on a chemist/more knowledgable persons explanation though :) Regards, Scott.

#7 SteveVXT

SteveVXT

• 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:30 PM

From what I've read, it's just used for cooling. The air intake and fuel cooling components shouldn't nead to be topped up very regularly, because it's and enclosed system (like air con). They have a direct spray unit for intercoolers which does release the CO2 directly onto intercooler vanes to cool them, this would be the one that needs topping up. It seems like a fairly cheep cooling solution if you just use the intake and fuel cooling components. Then it's just a case of having the boost increased to free up more power without increaing the intake temperature.

#8 nonterraquous

nonterraquous

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

Apologies, I hadnt looked into this kit enough and didnt realise it was enclosed. I had seen the basic kit before and assumed that was it - I thought it would release the CO2 at WOT straight into the intake, cooling it that way, the gas then being burnt off in the engine (the 3 minute figure seemed similar to a 50 shot nitrous jet and 5lb bottle). I didnt realise that was the base kit required to work the other parts. I agree, it shouldnt need topping up very often if the whole system is pressurised, just venting now and again. Regards, Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users