4 replies to this topic

#1 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:17 PM

I've read the excellent guides by Ricky and Steve. Thanks guys. Imnotworthy

The front pad replacement went well but I've got a bit stuck on the rears. Two hours today and three hours last week and I have to admit defeat!!

I haven't got to the difficult bit yet (Screwing the piston back in!) because I can't figure out how to rotate the caliper away from the disc. I've removed the outer pad and undone the 17mm bolt but the caliper won't budge. The shaft which the 17mm bolt runs through seems to have an inner barrell which is attached to an arm coming off the wheel hub. There is also a rubber boot which I don't see on anyone elses pictures (Or on the Vauxhall TIS CD) which presumably needs to be removed to seperate the caliper from the mounting.

Here is a top-down view of the left rear brake assembly behind the disc. I've circled the rubber boot and barrell which I think need to be seperated to remove the caliper.

Posted Image

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious? :beat:

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:20 PM

I bet my arse you left the handbrake ON..... :groupjump: edited to say, did you try hammering on it? seems like its glued or something... what about removing the lower bolt?

Edited by Ricky2772, 02 December 2003 - 03:27 PM.

#3 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:41 PM

yea, mine was stuck too - just wiggled it and banged it until it popped out :blink: Hope you got some pointy nosed pliers to twist the piston back in - now that a REAL bitch :beat:

#4 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

I bet my arse you left the handbrake ON..... :groupjump:

edited to say, did you try hammering on it? seems like its glued or something...

Nope...handbrake definately off! :) After making that mistake on the fronts I wasn't about to do it again!!

I applied quite a lot of pressure to it, and a little conservative tapping, but it didn't seem to move at all. Then a bit of 'visual investigation' made me think that it wasn't moving 'cos it wasn't supposed to and if I forced it any harder something would break!?

what about removing the lower bolt?

I didn't realise there was a lower bolt! :beat: Can I remove this one safely without the whole thing falling apart? Presumably it's possible to take the whole caliper assembly off without too much trouble as it's a single unit and only connected by pipes and wires?

Rain permitting I'll have another go at it tomorrow. The difference those EBC pads made was immediate. The stopping power was already better than the Vauxhall ones before I even bed them in properly!!

Actually, whilst I've got you here, I gave the fronts about 15 miles before stopping hard on them. Then I did a dozen or so 40-20 and 60-20 stops. Do you think that's sufficient bedding in?

Thanks guys Imnotworthy

Edited by benw, 02 December 2003 - 11:44 PM.

#5 wickywire

wickywire

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, Rugby, the usual

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:31 PM

I had the same trouble with mine. First of all i could not get the 17ml bolt to move until cheeky chops advised me that i was tightening the bolt. :beat: Like people have said i made sure that the handbrake was off and the top was off the brake fluid. I tapped out the nearest rear pad you can see, and then pushed the whole caliper inwards. This allowed me to easily take out the second pad and the whole thing can be pulled back. Then as cheeky has said make sure you have long nosed pliers and a box full of plasters. Turn it clockwise and this can be a bit of a bugger to shift. Then stick it back on and pump up your brakes. And to remove the pin i used a long thin nail and gave it a hit with the hammer. Whatever you use to gat the pin out it needs to be thin.

Edited by wickywire, 03 December 2003 - 11:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users