• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

Any opinions? think my next purchase is going to be an evo in some shape or form, or an exige.. but wondered what everyones opinions/experiences are on the evo's? eg - running costs, thrills, perfomance, overall ownership etc Cheers

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

depends how you feel about looking like a chav. Only driven evo 6 and whilst fast, was pretty boring.

#3 roy

roy

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

The reason i chose a vx over anything else & in particular the evo is simple. I wanted a quick affordable car that handled great & stood out from the crowd & something that you dont see everyday. Especially in Aberdeen, evo's & scoobys are so common, you see maybe 5 a day, just going to work & back...i might see another vx maybe once every couple of months in Aberdeen. No doubt evo's are quick but for me the vx wins hands down every time!!! :D

#4 SAPD

SAPD

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

running costs

:o :sick: :beat:

Worth a search on here and countless other sites but I think the idea of expensive 5k service intervals and new clutches every 10,000 miles (or something stupid) would put me off preeeeetty quickly.

Scary stuff.

(Oh, I have no actual factual data to back up my scaremongering comments :rolleyes: )

#5 jasvxt

jasvxt

Scary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Evo = :sleepy:

#6 Ekona

Ekona

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

With a VX you drive the car. With an Evo the car drives you. I've driven an Evo8, and it's terrific fun in a straight line but dull as ditchwater round the corners. Yes they grip and grip and grip, but it's the electronics doing it not you. If you had kids and could only have one car then I'd seriously consider it, but otherwise I really wouldn't touch them. If you really must get one, get an earlier one (6 or below) as that's when they had personality that made up for the boringness (likewise with the Impreza: I'd rather have a classic shape one with less power than a new one with 27million bhp).

#7 Jimmo

Jimmo

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Running costs are a funkin joke! I looked in to all this circa 2004 long before VX time and decided that it wasnt worth it for something that (minus the chav bits) looked like a bad early 90's saloon car. :lol: I wouldn't touch one of these now as the chav/ned image would't suit in my line of work. I just coudn't meet clients or go to site meetings in one. :( This said they are supposed to be amazing to drive and the real enthusiasts get just as much enjoyment maybe even more from them as we do our cars. :D Anything else i could say apart from image would be speculative as i havent driven one, only been driven in one. :( I have much respect for the machines :) Imnotworthy but running costs at the time swiftly ended my interest. :( I've been told the chav laydeees love them though. :huh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drink: :blink:

Edited by Jimmo, 16 October 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#8 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

so to conclude the above...... keep your VX or you are a "chav" i quite like them actually and if i wanted a 4 door 4wd then it would be high on my list, good luck whatever you choose :)

#9 Jimmo

Jimmo

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

I always wanted an evo 8 260 in yellow. :( I had a picture of one on my laptop for months :rolleyes: I fact i'm away to have a butchers at some rite now (feck the hooligan image). :) There a bit cheaper now too! :D

#10 JDSWORD

JDSWORD

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

I still have an Impreza (320bhp) and decided to go to a VX N/A as I was getting absolutley thrashed by them and the like round race circuits. I went for the Scoob over the EVO purely on cost. The EVO of the same year/mileage is more expensive and service intervals are 4k compared to the 10k for the Scoob. I've driven both and like all cars they get to the same destination but in a slightly differet way. EVO - not involved in how it handles due to the electronics you just point and squirt (so to speak) Scoob - real involvement but takes a lot of expensive geo/suspension set up to dial out understeer Where I love the Scoob is on fast wet roads and in the snow, which in Wales is a good thing. I love the VX and it is my number one car of all time (and I have had a few as I'm a car slut :lol: )but I use the Subaru through the winter months. I will say IF I had the money I would change the Scoob to an EVO VIII MR340.

#11 robfenn

robfenn

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Photography, Travelling, Racing Cars.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

Part of me wants one, they look mean, flattering to the drive and 're very quick. I can't quite deal with the image though. I wouldn't normally mind being a rebel, but they are a 17 year old chav's wet dream. I can imagine even if you drive sensibly everyone else still thinks you're a twat. My cousin is just 20 and owns a fast Subaru, he left it parked and some kids threw rocks and bricks at it... leaving a £3k insurance claim. I worry enough about leaving my VX 'alone,' with an Evo i'd be convinced it would be gone by the time i'd finish the shop in Sainsburys!

#12 Ash

Ash

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and Holidaying in exotic places with my wife.<br /><br />Racing, defence related stuff, karting, seeing unusual wild-life while on holiday, sci-fi, Ufology.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

so to conclude the above...... keep your VX or you are a "chav"

i quite like them actually and if i wanted a 4 door 4wd then it would be high on my list, good luck whatever you choose :)

:yeahthat:
I like them and considered one once, I always liked the 6 GSR. I don't give a t055 about image, well except for a Bimmer and I wouldn't buy one of those ever!! :angry:

But, it would still be a close contest fo me between an Evo and Skyline.

As for the chav thing, I only two people who've owned an Evo, one was a dentist, the other a Sea Harrier Pilot. So not quite chavs.

#13 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

I dont really see where the chav image comes from tbh, fair enough with a classic scooby, as most can afford one... but surely ur run of the mill chav cant afford to run an evo!?

#14 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

If you like speed - get one If you like driving - don't

#15 robfenn

robfenn

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Ok here are some scenarios... You turn up to your new girlfriend's parent's house, what would they think of you in an Evo? You turn up in the carpark to have a meeting with your biggest client, what would they think of you in an Evo? Even if chav is the wrong description, the typical image of a car like an Evo isn't a positive one IMO.

#16 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

yeah i know what your trying to say.. GF's parent - god knows, would they really be that bothered? lol Client - dont really need a car for work thanks for the info though! thumbsup

#17 wmg100

wmg100

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

Test drive one and see if you like it. If you fall in love with it then I don't suppose the image will bother you. I've always had a soft spot for Impreza P1s myself.

Edited by wmg100, 17 October 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#18 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

not planning on changing till at least next summer.. but yeah i think a test drive will be the best way to decide

#19 robfenn

robfenn

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

At the end of the day you keep cars for 5 mins, anyway so if you bought a decent one... like a TME, then you could keep it a few months and then get rid for the same price.

#20 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

5 mins? dont think so..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users