Vxt Gearbox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 caleini_vxt

caleini_vxt

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:57 PM

What will the VXT Gearbox take power wise before things start to go wrong ?

#2 caleini_vxt

caleini_vxt

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:02 AM

No one got a clue then !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poke:

Edited by caleini_vxt, 30 December 2003 - 09:12 AM.

#3 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:27 AM

is it a F28 gearbox in the vxt?. if it is. the manufacturer has limited it to 280Nm in maximum torque. in the vx it´s 230Nm. //anders

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:06 PM

280nm. This is based on the Astra GVW (1200 kg's) so we can up it when applied to VX with lower GVW. In real terms, 250-260lbs is about as far as you should go. Interestingly on the Sprint, they've had 2 driveshafts go but the gearbox itself is fine, and considering the abuse it gets I'm impressed.

#5 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:24 PM

Driveshafts go? As in sheared?

#6 mantamagic

mantamagic

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:04 PM

As both the engine and drivetrain in the VX220 T are the same as the Astra Turbo, it will indeed have the F23 fitted. The 23 supposedly meaning that the gearbox can take 230 lb/ft of torque.

#7 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:14 PM

230llb's is correct in a 12oojg car, you can increase the limit to take into account the VX is 900-1000kg's. Yes, one driveshaft twisted, the other sheared off :o

#8 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 03:02 PM

What torque is the sprint running?

#9 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

285llb's at the AmD RR day but Stu reckons they've tweaked it a bit more since then so approx same as mine (290llbs :o )

#10 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:54 AM

...290''bs

:o :o :o

#11 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:28 AM

I read an earlier thred that the Spint had suffered gearbox failure at the hands of the press. Was this in fact drive shaft failure?

#12 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:35 AM

I read an earlier thred that the Spint had suffered gearbox failure at the hands of the press. Was this in fact drive shaft failure?

Correct or least in part. The Sprint has sheered one driveshaft and snapped another.

Both times during standing start pratting about (I think).

#13 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:46 AM

and remember the kind of life this car has had........it is literally ragged senseless all the time most of its time on a track in the hands of some remarkably unsympathetic drivers. (me for one ;) .....just kidding). Most of the journos I've met are really nice guys but they have this attitude of "it aint mine, why should I care if I break it, the manufacturer needs me to get profile" so they drive it like complete prats. Most of them (assuming they own their own car) when they drive their own car are very sympathetic drivers but when its owned by some faceless corporation courting press coverage it becomes a tool to break or at least try to break. The fact the Sprint has only had these minor failures is a miracle in my book. The day I had a go I was with Top Gear magazine. They spent 20mins desparately trying to get it sideways with photographer hanging out of my car taking pictures effectively cooking the car in the process. Then Pete (TG bloke) and I took turns at Donington for pretty much 2 hours straight. Pete then drove it home down the M2 for 2 hours. If any car has a right to break its this one Imnotworthy As a comparison, my car is running almost identical power and bhp (280bhp and 290llb's) and hasn't had any problems at all. OK, I'm running a charge cooler which gives some extra security but I simply follow the same rules you all do, never drive it hard when cold, let it cool down after a run, regular oil changes and generally cuddle it like an orphaned child :) I'm convinced the VX220 (NA or T) if looked after properly is one of the most modifiable, track worthy cars out there with a reliability to beat all others.

#14 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:57 AM

cheers Thorney,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users