K19RKS

• Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Photography when I have the time
    COD

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

LINKY

Considering performance modifications for my VX and have been looking at exhausts. Miltek and Larini are talked about loads on here but they are very expensive, Ive seen these two as possible cheaper alternatives.

Has anyone had any experience of these two, cheers??

#2 davep24

davep24

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

The regal ones are cat back. milltek are around £530 for the cat back system, larini are £450 so they are not that expensive. Have you thought about a piper at around £350

#3 K19RKS

K19RKS

• Pip
  • 164 posts
    COD

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

Cheers, I thought the Miltek full system was gettingon towards a grand and the Larini was even more, they must include the sports cats as well then. Ill have a look at Piper thanks.

#4 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

The full milltek is over 1000, more like £1500 with fitting add £500 more for a worthwhile remap. Have you thought about 2bular, that could be less. I'm happy with my milltek, very placid when cruising but loud when you want it to be. Part of me still wants it louder though :) but the daily reality of that might get on my nerves. It's definitely worth getting one of the exhausts as the noise and remapped performance adds so much more pleasure to driving the car so it sounds like the sports cars it is.

#5 Adam W

Adam W

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

i have a larini precat and backbox with a milltek sports CAT! i wouldnt want it any louder, to be honest i couldnt put up with it as it is now if i had to do long journeys in it, luckily i have a company car so its cool. the exhaust combo is :wub: for noise!

#6 robfenn

robfenn

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Photography, Travelling, Racing Cars.

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

I had a Miltek and was very underwhelmed. I have the pre-cat drilled out too but for me it was still far to quiet and i felt like i got nothing for my money. I have heard people talk about the quality of them but in my view they don't look live up to their reputation. Check out some japanese made exhausts if you want to see quality... I now have a VSE and am over the moon with it. Yeah it can drone, but this is meant to be a sportscar and it adds so much to the experience. I've heard good things about the Larini but haven't heard a convincing sound clip, and i'm not sure i would want anything quiter than the VSE really. I know it's particularly loud from the outside but being mid-engined you're always driving away from the noise...

#7 andyroo

andyroo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

For most power gains, a 2.5" exhaust like the 2bular seems to be best.

Check out Markv's site here for some info on his 2bular.

#8 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

i had a larini backbox on my NA which sounded great, i am now thinking about a new pipe for my VXR but fancy something a little quieter but it sounds like a milltelk may be too quiet :blink:

#9 MIKE_VX

MIKE_VX

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:37 PM

i had a larini backbox on my NA which sounded great, i am now thinking about a new pipe for my VXR but fancy something a little quieter but it sounds like a milltelk may be too quiet :blink:

People keep on about this, but THE MILLTEK IS NOT TOO QUIET (unless you're into booming on the motorway and lots of noise at tickover / pootling around town as they are the only times it's quiet.)

From what I've witnessed / heard at meets etc. the Larini is louder lower down the rev range, but once you get them both at full throttle and above about 4000 rpm there's not much in it!

#10 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

People keep on about this, but THE MILLTEK IS NOT TOO QUIET (unless you're into booming on the motorway and lots of noise at tickover / pootling around town as they are the only times it's quiet.)

From what I've witnessed / heard at meets etc. the Larini is louder lower down the rev range, but once you get them both at full throttle and above about 4000 rpm there's not much in it!

great i need to have another listen to one then :) :beat: Jas :P

#11 K19RKS

K19RKS

• Pip
  • 164 posts
    COD

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

For most power gains, a 2.5" exhaust like the 2bular seems to be best.

Check out Markv's site here for some info on his 2bular.

right then, after reviewing marks site, 3 questions....

1. What is a 2bular exhaust ie whats the difference?
2. How much is one, where from?
3. How much do I need to set aside for fitting?

Cheers...

#12 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

great i need to have another listen to one then :) :beat: Jas :P

Listen to it sitting in the car whilst being driven, if you're standing outside the car it will be much louder and not give you the actual experience as its more muted in the cabin. The Miltek can be loud, give it the beans in a tunnel and it screams, but like Mike said its quiet when the revs are low. Ideally I'd like my Miltek to give me a burble at 1500 to 4000, like a porsche sports exhaust.

#13 K19RKS

K19RKS

• Pip
  • 164 posts
    COD

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

Guys, one further question (probably daft) I keep reading about a VSE I assume this is a Vauxhall Sports Exhaust?? Cheers

#14 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Guys, one further question (probably daft)

I keep reading about a VSE I assume this is a Vauxhall Sports Exhaust??

Cheers

yes :)

#15 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:53 AM

mines quiet on tickover, quiet at 70mph, but open the throttle and all hell breaks loose..

just ask the people on the le mans run through the tunnels

and people at cadwell on tuesday, they all said 'we could tell when you were coming!'

milltek sound sperfect IMO

#16 theotherjonnymac

theotherjonnymac

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:49 AM

I'm happy with my milltek, very placid when cruising but loud when you want it to be. Part of me still wants it louder though :) but the daily reality of that might get on my nerves.

It's definitely worth getting one of the exhausts as the noise and remapped performance adds so much more pleasure to driving the car so it sounds like the sports cars it is.

Spot on IMO

#17 andyroo

andyroo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

right then, after reviewing marks site, 3 questions....

1. What is a 2bular exhaust ie whats the difference?
2. How much is one, where from?
3. How much do I need to set aside for fitting?

Cheers...

Questions best asked to Jim (I think) at 2bular. Its just another brand of exhaust (usually Elise exhausts) that are very well regarded.

#18 SCHMO9

SCHMO9

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Ive got a Milltek downpipe/sports cat and VSE on the back! Sounds great under acceleration and burbbles away on overrun. Gear shifts sound great too! Might be too loud for some but I love it. :D

#19 justin182

justin182

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

Ive got a Milltek downpipe/sports cat and VSE on the back! Sounds great under acceleration and burbbles away on overrun. Gear shifts sound great too!
Might be too loud for some but I love it. :D

^^thats fcuking loud!^^ had my first experience of it and my ears are still ringing. lol

i went for a larini back box, and glad i did, wish it was louder on idle though.. maybe it is outside the car i guess

#20 SCHMO9

SCHMO9

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

Ive got a Milltek downpipe/sports cat and VSE on the back! Sounds great under acceleration and burbbles away on overrun. Gear shifts sound great too!
Might be too loud for some but I love it. :D

^^thats fcuking loud!^^ had my first experience of it and my ears are still ringing. lol

i went for a larini back box, and glad i did, wish it was louder on idle though.. maybe it is outside the car i guess

Gonna need to get someone to drive mine while I listen from the road side or following! Cant appreciate it from inside while driving. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users