• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

there are 2 post on the other site that sum the problem up.

Firstly Lotus changed the rear bolt spec to 10.9

Information from the 111 S2 using steel uprights

The original A111W7145F M10x50 bolt rear hub carrier is grade 8.8 and the service manual states torque 45Nm or 33lbft (NOTE some S2 parts manuals list Rear suspension part #5 as A111W1745F which is probably a misprint)

In 2004 Lotus issued service bulletin 2004/08 which revised the part number to A117W7212F with a new 10.9 grade specification to be torqued to 68Nm or 50lbft for motorsport use.

The front bolts A111W7155F and A1117W144F are not affected and remain 8.8 grade and 33lbft torque.

Posted Image

Second the Lotus service states that all the nut torques should be checked, do you think vaux do this???

Just some more useful ( essential ) information, since owners will be disturbing bolts, plus there are a few on here that are in the midst of a complete strip down.

Note where changing from 8.8 to 10.9 a higher torque should be applied when tightening / checking

The Service Schedule specifies that the security of the front and rear suspension is checked at each service. This operation requires that all the principal suspension pivot bolts are torque checked, noting the following points:

Where a bolt is tapped into a housing or weldnut, and relies on a thread locking compound for security, it is important to appreciate that if the bolt is disturbed, the locking compound must be re-applied. The following procedure should be adopted for all such fixings:

- Check the torque of the fixing.
- If the specified torque is attained without the fixing being disturbed (moving), take no further action.
- If the bolt moves, the locking action of the thread adhesive will have been lost. Remove the bolt completely, clean off all old adhesive using a wire brush and acetone, and apply new adhesive as specified.
- Refit the bolt and tighten to the specified torque.
- If for any reason a bolt is found to have become loose, and the car has been operated for any period in this condition, the bolt should be renewed as a standard precaution and related components carefully inspected for hole ovality or wear.

Torque Settings: Nm
- Upper and lower wishbone pivot bolts 45
- Upper swivel joint to steering arm 55
- Lower swivel joint to plinth 55
** - Lower swivel joint plinth to hub carrier 45 **
- Steering arm to hub carrier 45
- Track rod end to steering arm 30
- Damper to lower wishbone 45
- Damper to chassis 45
- Brake caliper to hub carrier 45
- Anti-roll bar rubber bush mounting clamps 20
- Anti-roll bar drop links 45

#22 trescoman

trescoman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Retirement ASAP, <br>Driving<br>Carp fishing<br>Football<br>kids

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

Model: Turbo
Side: O/S Rear
Mileage: 15000 ish, tracked
Circumstances of failure: very low speed, just entering a major roundabout from stop
Any associated damage: None (well a small scuff on the inner wheel arch plastic thingy)

the VXT was running CS2 with Nitrons fitted, lowered with full geo. That morning I had been running hardish on back roads to Countenays, hate to think what would have happened if it happened then

VXL replaced the bolts under warrenty, AA picked up the car and replacement car cost (2 days)

Bob

Bob

did VXL change them with 8.8 ones or uprated 10.8's. As I say above I do have a small doubt that mine will fail, and if I have them checked and they are buggered it will be under warranty, so would be nice to know what the change them to. Unless they uprate them, seems pointless to me. (Unless of course it is due to loose bolts, but obviously after they've snapped it's a bit hard to tell thumbsdown )

Cheers

Rob

I'm sure they put OEM's back in, this was 2 1/2 yrs ago now

:blink:

#23 tony1

tony1

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

i am playing it safe.got some from w.l.cooke in chadwellheath essex gone from 8.8 to 12.6 so hope they should be ok

#24 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

i am playing it safe.got some from w.l.cooke in chadwellheath essex gone from 8.8 to 12.6 so hope they should be ok

According to the thread here:
http://www.vx220.org...8061&hl=brittle
you need to look at the shear strength as they could be more brittle .....
chinky chinky

#25 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

there are 2 post on the other site that sum the problem up.

Firstly Lotus changed the rear bolt spec to 10.9

Information from the 111 S2 using steel uprights

The original A111W7145F M10x50 bolt rear hub carrier is grade 8.8 and the service manual states torque 45Nm or 33lbft (NOTE some S2 parts manuals list Rear suspension part #5 as A111W1745F which is probably a misprint)

In 2004 Lotus issued service bulletin 2004/08 which revised the part number to A117W7212F with a new 10.9 grade specification to be torqued to 68Nm or 50lbft for motorsport use.

The front bolts A111W7155F and A1117W144F are not affected and remain 8.8 grade and 33lbft torque.

Posted Image

Second the Lotus service states that all the nut torques should be checked, do you think vaux do this???

Just some more useful ( essential ) information, since owners will be disturbing bolts, plus there are a few on here that are in the midst of a complete strip down.

Note where changing from 8.8 to 10.9 a higher torque should be applied when tightening / checking

The Service Schedule specifies that the security of the front and rear suspension is checked at each service. This operation requires that all the principal suspension pivot bolts are torque checked, noting the following points:

Where a bolt is tapped into a housing or weldnut, and relies on a thread locking compound for security, it is important to appreciate that if the bolt is disturbed, the locking compound must be re-applied. The following procedure should be adopted for all such fixings:

- Check the torque of the fixing.
- If the specified torque is attained without the fixing being disturbed (moving), take no further action.
- If the bolt moves, the locking action of the thread adhesive will have been lost. Remove the bolt completely, clean off all old adhesive using a wire brush and acetone, and apply new adhesive as specified.
- Refit the bolt and tighten to the specified torque.
- If for any reason a bolt is found to have become loose, and the car has been operated for any period in this condition, the bolt should be renewed as a standard precaution and related components carefully inspected for hole ovality or wear.

Torque Settings: Nm
- Upper and lower wishbone pivot bolts 45
- Upper swivel joint to steering arm 55
- Lower swivel joint to plinth 55
** - Lower swivel joint plinth to hub carrier 45 **
- Steering arm to hub carrier 45
- Track rod end to steering arm 30
- Damper to lower wishbone 45
- Damper to chassis 45
- Brake caliper to hub carrier 45
- Anti-roll bar rubber bush mounting clamps 20
- Anti-roll bar drop links 45

THis is exactly what we do as part of the enhanced service, however it is not part of a general Vauxhall service.

To put some perspective into it (and I'm not trying to downplay it in any way) none of our cars (race or road have experienced it and only only one customer car to my knowledge has had it happen and that was a car that had had accident damage. In over 1000 VX220's seen we've not had another happen in our experience. Now thats not to say it hasn't happened to cars we've sen voer the years as clearly it has but certainly not in the realms of once we've seen regularly. We check the bolts as part of any service or geo check/change, if they move or are very hard to remove then they are replaced as a matter of course.

#26 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

THis is exactly what we do as part of the enhanced service, however it is not part of a general Vauxhall service.

To put some perspective into it (and I'm not trying to downplay it in any way) none of our cars (race or road have experienced it and only only one customer car to my knowledge has had it happen and that was a car that had had accident damage. In over 1000 VX220's seen we've not had another happen in our experience. Now thats not to say it hasn't happened to cars we've sen voer the years as clearly it has but certainly not in the realms of once we've seen regularly. We check the bolts as part of any service or geo check/change, if they move or are very hard to remove then they are replaced as a matter of course.

Your'e starting to sound like a Vauxhall dealer. Do they put you all through some kind of indoctrination programme down a Vauxhall HQ. :P

Whilst your there Thorney. My car is still at Crownhill (3 weeks now) and they haven't even an estimate of how long i may have to wait for a hub carrier. At this rate i will miss the National and get incredibly fit from all this cycling I'm doing.

Do you any ideas on how to get this part? (O/S/R hub/knuckle they are calling it or O/S/R hub carrier)

#27 DEKKER

DEKKER

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:F1 , Trance , part time boob inspector but mostly into leg appreciation.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

[quote name='Thorney' post='660814' date='Nov 5 2007, 18:01 ']

I watched my car having an 'enhanced service' and mine was'nt checked

#28 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

Without knowing who you are its hard for me to check but it involves getting car on ramp and checking the bolts with a torque wrench along with a visual inspection, doesn't take very long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users