• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#81 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

just fitted my dash plates and they look superb, just one little snag and was wondering if anybody had the same problem of two of the heater panel screws fouling the tufnel spacer material on the back of the main plate?

I had to remove two small areas of the spacer material to stop the screw heads holding the plates away from the dashboard between the heater control/radio opening, not a big problem as the Dremmel soon sorted that but just a heads up for anyone else fitting theirs.

I had the same issue. Slightly annoying when the plate fell off over night but now switched to bits of heavy duty velcro which give a little extra space. I plan to take the dash top off at some point and brace the head unit properly too so I don't want to have the dash plate stuck on too firmly.

#82 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

any news on the front vee?

No full details yet, the initial mould has been completed but he wants to make sure of a good copy also investigating other ideas on fixing to prevent the need to remove the whole front clam.

cheers

#83 CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

• PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:Dogging

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

just fitted my dash plates and they look superb, just one little snag and was wondering if anybody had the same problem of two of the heater panel screws fouling the tufnel spacer material on the back of the main plate?

I had to remove two small areas of the spacer material to stop the screw heads holding the plates away from the dashboard between the heater control/radio opening, not a big problem as the Dremmel soon sorted that but just a heads up for anyone else fitting theirs.

I had the same issue. Slightly annoying when the plate fell off over night but now switched to bits of heavy duty velcro which give a little extra space. I plan to take the dash top off at some point and brace the head unit properly too so I don't want to have the dash plate stuck on too firmly.

Was probably the screw heads that made it fall off as it holds the plate away from the metal of the dashboard and doesnt allow the tape to stick all the way across as the plate is pivoting on the screw heads, wasnt too bothered as 2 mins with a Dremmel and went on fine and has stayed on overnight lol.

I should have taken a picture of the problem/mod but by the time I had offered the part up and fixed the problem I had removed the backing tape and it wasnt comming back off the dash without a fight so was too late lol, Not moaning in anyway this sort of thing happens and was easy to sort out was just a heads up for some of the others as this maybe why some cant get them to stick right.

As I didnt get any pictures if anyone has there dash plates off at the mo could they take a picture/measurement of the two screws on the left hand side of the heater control panel so we can give them to Barry at Carbontec to adjust the spacer part, it was only a problem on the rib that is vertical between the radio and heater openings.

Test fit the part without removing the backing tape and you will see two small marks on the backing tape where the screw heads touch.

Darren...

Edited by CheesyPuff, 18 February 2008 - 12:27 PM.

#84 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Was probably the screw heads that made it fall off as it holds the plate away from the metal of the dashboard and doesnt allow the tape to stick all the way across as the plate is pivoting on the screw heads, wasnt too bothered as 2 mins with a Dremmel and went on fine and has stayed on overnight lol.

I should have taken a picture of the problem/mod but by the time I had offered the part up and fixed the problem I had removed the backing tape and it wasnt comming back off the dash without a fight so was too late lol, Not moaning in anyway this sort of thing happens and was easy to sort out was just a heads up for some of the others as this maybe why some cant get them to stick right.

As I didnt get any pictures if anyone has there dash plates off at the mo could they take a picture/measurement of the two screws on the left hand side of the heater control panel so we can give them to Barry at Carbontec to adjust the spacer part, it was only a problem on the rib that is vertical between the radio and heater openings.

Test fit the part without removing the backing tape and you will see two small marks on the backing tape where the screw heads touch.

Darren...

thumbsup
It was the same screw heads in my case, I could see the dimples in the tape.

No complaints from me either, I like the new look and as the cars are hand built then minor differences between them all means things like this are expected.
Not exactly a showstopper so two big thumbs up from me.

Now I want to get some handle guards I think :rolleyes:

#85 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

A quick update about the screw heads causing problems with the dash plates. Barry (at Carbontec) says the screws were recessed on the test car but as mine are raised then there is an obvious difference between some cars. As for my dash plate falling off, it was never stuck on properly so please don't assume it was the lack of quality in the sticky foam. It really is sticky! I was impatient and hoped that the plate would hold on despite being bent over the annoying screw heads and in freezing temperatures. Before fitting your own dash plates please check to see if you have got raised screw heads holding the heater controls module in place. If the screws are recessed then you should be able to fit the plate easily. If the screw heads protrude then try carefully drilling a 2-3mm deep hole in the support rib at the right points. You will not be able to tell which screw heads you have until you get the old dash plate off. You gotta love hand built cars :wub: Edit: Photos to follow but only got a crap camera phone.

Edited by Ouchie, 22 February 2008 - 11:48 PM.

#86 walshy123

walshy123

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

A quick update about the screw heads causing problems with the dash plates.

Barry (at Carbontec) says the screws were recessed on the test car but as mine are raised then there is an obvious difference between some cars.

As for my dash plate falling off, it was never stuck on properly so please don't assume it was the lack of quality in the sticky foam. It really is sticky! I was impatient and hoped that the plate would hold on despite being bent over the annoying screw heads and in freezing temperatures.

Before fitting your own dash plates please check to see if you have got raised screw heads holding the heater controls module in place. If the screws are recessed then you should be able to fit the plate easily. If the screw heads protrude then try carefully drilling a 2-3mm deep hole in the support rib at the right points. You will not be able to tell which screw heads you have until you get the old dash plate off.

You gotta love hand built cars :wub:

Edit: Photos to follow but only got a crap camera phone.

i know its a bit late, but im a new owner. any of these left?

#87 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

I think the group-buy is probably finished. But, you can get them direct from the Carbontec website, here.

#88 walshy123

walshy123

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

thanks for the link!

#89 james141

james141

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:05 AM

Anyone fancy another group buy? that if they will do one of course :)

#90 walshy123

walshy123

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

ye im in

#91 Astranomical102

Astranomical102

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

I'm in Imnotworthy

#92 l14mha

l14mha

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

yep, cound me in for dash plates and handle gaurds chinky chinky liam

#93 james141

james141

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

On true .org.uk fasion:

1.) James141 - Dash plates
2.) Astranomical102 - ?
3.) walshy123 - ?
4.) l14mha - dash plates and handle gaurds

We can get a rough idea of numbers then see what they can do for us :)

#94 mja182

mja182

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

1.) James141 - Dash plates 2.) Astranomical102 - ? 3.) walshy123 - ? 4.) l14mha - dash plates and handle gaurds 5.) mja182 - dash plates

#95 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

1.) James141 - Dash plates 2.) Astranomical102 - ? 3.) walshy123 - ? 4.) l14mha - dash plates and handle gaurds 5.) mja182 - dash plates 6.) Snoopstah - handle guards

#96 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

I've emailed Barry to see if he can come up with another GB price list thumbsup

#97 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

Cheers Mandarin thumbsup 1.) James141 - Dash plates 2.) Astranomical102 - ? 3.) walshy123 - ? 4.) l14mha - dash plates and handle guards 5.) mja182 - dash plates 6.) Snoopstah - handle guards 7.) Ouchie - handle guards in matt finish

#98 MaDFreeBiRD

MaDFreeBiRD

VX gone :( 350Z replacement :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

I do pending on price i would like the door handles, door cards and dash plates. Matt finish if available

Edited by MaDFreeBiRD, 08 August 2008 - 01:28 PM.

#99 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

I've spoken to Barry, he has agreed to hold the price from the original group buy for this one, so as follows:

The Door Cards:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and with the handle guards (the right way round!):
Posted Image

The cost for the door cards is £140 all in (ie including VAT and delivery) - This price is just for this group buy - after the group buy the price will rise to £135 + VAT + postage (so around £164)

The Dash Plates: (Will be getting more piccies when mine arrive)

Posted Image

The cost for the dash plates is also £140 all in (ie including VAT and delivery) - again, this price is just for this group buy - after the group buy the price will rise to £135 + VAT + postage (so around £164)

Please note he has a lot of European orders for vx parts from the website, and the manufacture of these will have to take precedence over the group buy order (as they are being sold at full price) but this is to be expected really :)

I've sent him another email to check on the price of the handle guards thumbsup

Edited by mandarinvx, 08 August 2008 - 01:38 PM.

#100 james141

james141

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Nice one thanks Mandarin chinky chinky I say we give it a couple of weeks to get some more names then go for it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users