• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Here you go guys...

Group buy
http://www.z22se.co....opic.php?t=7832

How to fit to a vx220
http://www.z22se.co....opic.php?t=6040

Muchos cheapness to be had and well worth it I think.

For now I'll modify this post as I find out.... the extra stuff you'll need for the VX220 is as follows:

Part number from Vauxhall below...
"Replace the servo pipe one way valve with one from an astra or corsa (90373359)"

And some new servo hose... (no idea what size)
"fit a new piece of servo hose"

"Make a bracket for the dipstick and refit it"
Dunno about this, perhaps someone can fill me in??

"brackets to refit the ecu"
http://www.z22se.co....opic.php?t=6949
Group buy here, confused about this though can someone confirm it's correct?

"the suppressor is built into the plastic end cover of the alternator, but this cover has to be removed to allow the 2.4 inlet to fit, so it needs to be replaced"
http://www.demon-twe...;pcode=BRICD-01
One of these

#2 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

Just tried registering but it keeps failing :angry2: Can someone add me to the list please and i'll register another day thumbsup Sicey - John Sice Cheers, John

#3 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I'm in. :)

#4 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Any idea how long this will run for - I'd like to (try to) check which alternator I've got first :)

#5 Tim F

Tim F

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

Not sure mandarin, this sounds like a one off before the price jumps a fair bit though! I'll find out tomorrow for you. Any info on how to check the alternator appreciated! I couldn't see mine. FYI you need the 100 amp one. Muncher83 (Paul) on the Z22SE site has the brackets. I still have plenty of them here so if you follow the payment instructions in the thread and add £3 for postage I'll get some sent to you, together with some bolts and washers. "ECU Bracket is £15.50 Dipstick bracket is £6.50 " Mods, if you're reading this and can edit my original post it would be appreciated. John just pm vocky, he's on this forum. Ta, Tim

Edited by Tim F, 20 January 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

Mandarin, Just modify the inlet manifold to fit whichever alternator you have. There is a lug at the alt end of the manifold that can be cut off and covered over, this should give enough clearence round a 120A alt. I'm hoping ive got a 120A alt infact lol

#7 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

Tim What are you doing about Injectors? Do you have a stage 2 remap or still standard? I thought there were issues with potential lean running with standard injectors Cheers Rich

#8 pj_sibley

pj_sibley

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

Was gonna wait for the TMS developments, but £125 delivered to the door just sounds too good! I'm now down for one on the z22se site.

#9 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

The general consensous is that if you have a std mapped car then you fit the 2.4 inlet, drive gently about while the engine is in closed loop (look at talktomycar.co.uk for OBD tools in the ELM327 range... £55 and its farking handy), this will make it learn the new fuel trims for use at full bore, job done. Certain "remaps" turn off the fuel learning facility hence the lean running comments..... part of cunning marketing imho, ie we mod your car, you change something and we charge you again for a remap... I should run a business lol

#10 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

The general consensous is that if you have a std mapped car then you fit the 2.4 inlet, drive gently about while the engine is in closed loop (look at talktomycar.co.uk for OBD tools in the ELM327 range... £55 and its farking handy), this will make it learn the new fuel trims for use at full bore, job done.

Certain "remaps" turn off the fuel learning facility hence the lean running comments..... part of cunning marketing imho, ie we mod your car, you change something and we charge you again for a remap... I should run a business lol

Cheers Slindborg. My mate has a tech2, will this do the same?

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

The general consensous is that if you have a std mapped car then you fit the 2.4 inlet, drive gently about while the engine is in closed loop (look at talktomycar.co.uk for OBD tools in the ELM327 range... £55 and its farking handy), this will make it learn the new fuel trims for use at full bore, job done.

Certain "remaps" turn off the fuel learning facility hence the lean running comments..... part of cunning marketing imho, ie we mod your car, you change something and we charge you again for a remap... I should run a business lol

Cheers Slindborg. My mate has a tech2, will this do the same?

Yes (assuming it lives on a laptop ;) )

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

That's what I'm concerned about. I've got all of the components (and more) including polished TB here, half of which I've trial assembled and reckon it'll be reasonably simple to fit for real. But, I'm terrified that if I fit it, the engine will go into meltdown due to the existing remap.

Obviously fitting it myself and zipping over to TMS for a free remap (hopefully) would be the ideal scenario for me. But, they haven't got one yet and I'm not sure if the car would self destruct on it's 20 mile journey over to MK.

#13 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

That's what I'm concerned about. I've got all of the components (and more) including polished TB here, half of which I've trial assembled and reckon it'll be reasonably simple to fit for real. But, I'm terrified that if I fit it, the engine will go into meltdown due to the existing remap.

Obviously fitting it myself and zipping over to TMS for a free remap (hopefully) would be the ideal scenario for me. But, they haven't got one yet and I'm not sure if the car would self destruct on it's 20 mile journey over to MK.

give them a call, see if they will put your map back to std, fit the manifold etc see how it runs and then go get their remap when they are ready?

#14 Tim F

Tim F

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

I'm running standard as of now, I guess I'll do all the mods I can think of then go for a remap. I thought you only need the injectors if you're going high power, I know Vocky has new ones but he's over 200bhp at the moment. Techie you could always park up very close to TMS and do the mods yourself then drive it 1\2 mile or less to there. "Certain "remaps" turn off the fuel learning facility" - can anyone see a reason for actually doing this? Can we request that they don't??

Edited by Tim F, 21 January 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#15 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Slindborg - Thanks for adding me to the list, I have finally registered now thumbsup John

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Slindborg - Thanks for adding me to the list, I have finally registered now thumbsup

John

no probs chap

#17 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

I'm a bit of a novice on the 'closed loop' ecu learning... Saying that, it's always been my understanding that NA re-maps raise the rev limit and then ensure the fueling is optimised at higher revs in the range to get better torque? Given the above (if true) im not sure junking a re-map to fit a 2.4 manifold is such a great idea?

#18 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Techie you could always park up very close to TMS and do the mods yourself then drive it 1\2 mile or less to there.

If you're determined to go to TMS you could probably park in their car park and do the work there.

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I'm a bit of a novice on the 'closed loop' ecu learning...

Saying that, it's always been my understanding that NA re-maps raise the rev limit and then ensure the fueling is optimised at higher revs in the range to get better torque?

Given the above (if true) im not sure junking a re-map to fit a 2.4 manifold is such a great idea?

Yeah, I'm not sure thats the way ahead. I just don't want it going into meltdown if it's going to be running lean with a non-OEM map if it does actually disable any built-in self-learning facility. Limit is raised and the bulk of the torque and bhp improvements come into effect from 4,000rpm onwards. Judging by the amount of soot on the Millteks, I'm inclined to think it probably runs rich at some point in the rev range at the moment, so maybe it would balance out nicely.....

Techie you could always park up very close to TMS and do the mods yourself then drive it 1\2 mile or less to there.

If you're determined to go to TMS you could probably park in their car park and do the work there.

Only determined to get all of the increasing collection of bits fitted before trackday season kicks off again (and before I start p!ssing money away on expensive gadgets). If TMS have a map to suit these inlet mods on top of the Stage II+, in theory it should be a free upgrade on my existing map. Not sure were Courtenay's are in their development process as yet, I dropped them an email but haven't had a reply yet.

The really interesting bit will be if I go ahead with some of the other more mechanical changes in which case I'm guessing wherever I go, I'll be the guineapig and need custom mapping and all of the time on a dyno that that involves. In that case, I'm not sure where the cost of that lands - whether I'm responsible for all of it or, whether a chunk of that development time is offset against having that new map available for future off the shelf use by A N Other Tuning plc.

If I had the real "physical" knowledge, I'd do all of this stuff myself and then follow Slindborgs recommendation of the guy in Blackpool who does the live remaps by the seat of his pants and laptop (and experience) to get the absolute best out of the car. But, I wouldn't fancy the drive up there with an engine that I had no idea about how close to self destruction it was currently running (or at 20mph becuause it's in limp mode).

Why is it nothing in my life is simple????

#20 Tim F

Tim F

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

Vocky has managed to pull this off with loads of different stuff so it must be possible. This is confusing me anyway, lots of friends with EVO's get re-maps done with all sorts of bits and pieces on. Cost is usually around £250, I can always ask them if they can help, as there's a fair few around. They do have custom ECU's though so that may be the difference hmmm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users