Bhp Increase

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:17 AM

In your opinions What increase in BHP would make it noticable. ie with an increase on 10hp could you feel the difference? I want more hp and torque just wondered to what lenghts I must go to make the car feel quicker.

#2 madasahatter

madasahatter

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:15 AM

When I had my TVR people used to say that 10bhp was detectable in the seat of your pants. I reckon the driver could tell, but the passenger could not. 20bhp was detectable by everyone. But that was with a 1200Kg 360bhp car. In the VX I would expect 10bhp to be instantly noticeable, but 6-7 would possibly be just detectable. The mods which bring about small changes often benefit the car in other ways - ie induction kits might not make a big bhp difference, but they would make the car more revvy. I guess this could make itself felt more than you would expect and heighten the driving experience without resulting in large increases in power making the car FEEL faster. Notr sure I answered the question, but there's my tuppence anyway :blink: cheers

#3 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:17 PM

when I removed the pre-kat alone I immediately felt the difference, and it cannot be more than a handful of hp's....

#4 Vespillo

Vespillo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Interests:Computers,<br>Golf,<br>Snooker,<br>MY VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!,<br>Music (Dj'ing and making it)<br>as well as other obvious ones like getting pissed,<br>having a laugh with my mates, chilling with the family etc etc.

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:28 PM

cheers guys, I aim to get as much hp as possible in the long run, Just wondering what to change first, Prob going to be a full exhaust system, just wondered if the 10(ish)hp would be noticable as it costs nearly £100 per 1hp increase. Is this the norm? 1hp per £100, if so its gonna be an expensive project getting max bhp/torque.

#5 DUNNO

DUNNO

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:11 PM

my advice is get an exhaust back box or full system, itll make a good basis for further modifications as the standard one is very restrictive, also if you want something for your money, 5bhp aint alot for 250 pounds(viper kit) however if you even only went for a backbox (300-400 pounds, courteney, piper etc) itll at least sound louder and harder, and youll either be enjoying the ride more or be revving it harder to get the noise and so be quicker!! plus everytime you use the car youll know where you money went to!!! :D

#6 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:58 AM

In a american magazine they tuned a 2.2 litre Ecotec to the limit. In the article they claimed that the engine delivered 168 bhp straight out of the box. I expect that is roughly what you can reach by merely reducing the inlet and outled differential pressure. To reach beyond that porting and cams are necessary, I suspect.

#7 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:42 PM

Did you read the Total Vauxhall magazine VX220 edition? Good reference piece that describes varios tuning options... However, what I thought was obvious from the Rolling Road tests was that some people had more powerful cars as standard than others with mods! Also, the majority of claimed power increase by the manufacturers were not obviously borne out by the test results.

#8 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

Did you read the Total Vauxhall magazine VX220 edition?

Good reference piece that describes varios tuning options...

However, what I thought was obvious from the Rolling Road tests was that some people had more powerful cars as standard than others with mods! Also, the majority of claimed power increase by the manufacturers were not obviously borne out by the test results.

Brad

Can talk to you tonight at the ogle meet about all of the arguments surrounding this subject if you wish.

Paul

#9 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

Can't make tonight Paul! :o Its the first one I've missed since two before I got my VX I think, so surely I must be forgiven. I have some sort of surprise lined up for tonight! :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users