Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 i need nos

i need nos

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

i used insulating tape on the exsisiting pipework and it litteraly blasts hot air at u, im glad you aint one of the people who invested in a 100 pounds piece of rubber lol,

#23 EdButler

EdButler

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

Does the pipe connect to the dashboard pipe part nicely? Cant really see it for its obscured in the pic I love threads like this thumbsup Any excuse to get another load of 68mm drainpipe in my car :D

#24 calletson

calletson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Testing eyes<br />Cars<br />Women<br />Beer

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

Does the pipe connect to the dashboard pipe part nicely? Cant really see it for its obscured in the pic

I love threads like this thumbsup

Any excuse to get another load of 68mm drainpipe in my car :D

The standard 68mm drainpipe is slightly smaller than the dashboard pipe.

Therefore needs some foam wrapped around to seal it in tightly. As mentioned before, maybe a cone shaped structure could be used?

#25 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

Here's my offering for the heating solution.

First, I removed the original pipe, then got some of this stuff - it's bubble wrap with a foam type back which was part of the packing material round my TV.

Posted Image

I got the 'foot end' of of an old pair of tights and put that over the upper end of the pipe. Secured it with duct tape. Then, cut a long strip of the bubble wrap off, about 80mm in width and wrapped it around the pipe ensuring a minimum 10mm overlap so as not to lose heat. Secured the whole lot by tightly wrapping duct tape around it and re-fitted it.

Posted Image

Because of the increased diameter of the pipe / insulation, it's necessary to squeez it into more of an elipse in the middle.

Posted Image

I'll admit it's not as professional looking as an aftermarket mod, but it is most definately an improvement over the original in terms of getting heat to the cabin. Took about 30mins to fit and cost the price of a role of duct tape thumbsup

#26 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

This thread's brilliant - I love reading all of your updates, and marvelling at your handiwork using the most random but everyday materials Imnotworthy Can you imagine if you ever sell your car to a stealer, and some unitiated punter comes to view it, whacks open the bonnet, and there's a bloomin' great big piece of drainpipe sitting there?!

#27 calletson

calletson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Testing eyes<br />Cars<br />Women<br />Beer

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Would it be worth some kind of token insulation around the driainpipe mod?

I dare say it would actually; just finished my first motorway journey with the drainpipe mod and there was a notable drop in temperature at motorway speeds. Obviously the greater amount of air flow through the front and up through bonnet vents (and -5 degree air temp this morning) will be responsible.

#28 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

I have noticed a cold draught around my feet when doing motorway speeds and directing the airflow at the screen only. Any ideas where the cold air is coming from?

Piccies of my Franken-gutter (part no 45 - 45 - 180 - tights - 90 - 45)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 FightingDonkey

FightingDonkey

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

Now that it is pretty cold I thought that I'd have a go at the heater mod. The info in this thread made it a dead easy mod to perform but I wasn't happy about how the pipe work fitted into the back of the dash. After a bit of hunting around in the basement I found a solution that I'm quite pleased with. Here are the details.

I found a rubber collar that is used on the back of a toilet pan to connect it tightly to the drain pipe (Nb. I strongly recommend using a new one !!)
Posted Image

The one that I had was too big so I cut a section out
Posted Image

And then wrapped it around the pipe fitting that I was using with a bit of duck tape to hold it in place
Posted Image

With the collar attached the pipe fitting sits snugly in the back of the dash
Posted Image

#30 adlewar

adlewar

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

I've just followed calletson's drainpipe recipe (with a couple of amendments to get a better seal) to replace the standard silver hose. Bought all the pipes/bends in black from B&Q for about £12 and it's given an excellent improvement in air flow. I get a proper gale blowing out of the vents now :) Bit dark for pics now but looks quite smart.

done my 'mod' last night, 15mins, 8 quid from local builders merchant for materials......

had to turn heater down this morning......too hot...... AWESOME MOD!!!! thanks to the inventor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 petrolhead1

petrolhead1

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Another one who has succumbed to the Marley Downpipe solution. For what its worth I only used 2 bends(a 67.5 at the blower end and a 89.5 at the dash end) and some short bits of straights pipe. I decide to leave messing with the heater until the good weather arrived. I used a big jubilee clip at each end to help the piping fit really tight. I also used the metal tape on each joint to make it a bit tighter. I also put some self adhesive rubber foam around the outside of each end to take up some of the gap. Blower - jubilee clip Short straight about 65mm long with self adhesive rubber foam on the outside and metal tape on the end that joined onto .... 65 degree bend Straight bit 200mm approx with metal tap on the outside of both ends to make joints into bends tighter connected to... 89.5degree bend into Short straight about 130mm - metal tape on the end that connects to the bend and the rubber foam stuff on the outside where it fits into the dash and a jubilee clip round the outside of the dash hole to make it a snug fit. The only other thing I did was sealed the slight airgaps in the exit hole from the blower and the entry hole in the dash with a bit more metal tape. Both are moulded plastic in 2 halves and the mouldings didn't match perfectly. I just tried the result and with all four dash vents open there are bits of rubbish flying everywhere. Most impressed. Next stage is to remove the dash, clean out the crap and seal the plenum chamber thingy onto the underside to eliminate some more leaks. Unless I take the clam off I don't think I will be attempting the full heater blower seal it all up mod.

#32 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

the members on here who have made solutions really should start selling kits lol Whack a tenner / twenty pound on what it costs to make and it would save a load of people hassle working out what is needed :)

#33 petrolhead1

petrolhead1

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Maybe just me but I have always felt that this place was about sharing our experiences good or bad with like minded people. The bits for this mod are relatively cheap, widely available and easy to work with assuming you have access to basic tools so trying to make a buck off fellow members isn't my top priority. I personally am about giving back something for the greater good of all. I have learnt so much about almost every aspect of the car that I feel a moral obligation to provide what little useful input I can to the challenge of tackling the same task a bit easier for the next person who takes it on. I think the nearest parallel is the scientific community who pool their global knowledge and experience and each time someone else tries the same test/experiment/operation they may possibly find the breakthrough that overcomes the big challenge and thus benefits everyone.

Edited by petrolhead1, 06 April 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#34 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

i think you thought about my post to much mate :wacko: I didn't mean it in a money making way, just there are so many different guides and ways to sort the heating, i think it could benefit people if a simple soution/kit was sold. I know its only a case of researching whats needed, but a lot of people would struggle with that. Just an idea anyway. :)

#35 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

i think you thought about my post to much mate :wacko:

I didn't mean it in a money making way, just there are so many different guides and ways to sort the heating, i think it could benefit people if a simple soution/kit was sold. I know its only a case of researching whats needed, but a lot of people would struggle with that.

Just an idea anyway. :)

Problem is speaking as another who has done this, and will at some point do another VX. The cars are hand made, and this is one of the sections when it really stands out as variable.

What works for one car is not 100% for the next so a kit would be ok to a point but still need jiggering to fit. I think that was the prob in the end with the £100+ venair option worked well for some. Caused swearing and blood loss for others.

#36 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Fair point mate, still unsure which route to go myself lol Hey ho summers on its way! B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users