What Na Backbox?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 TonyIles

TonyIles

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

More exhaust stuff!! b4 the vaux s.e comes off, I`ll get me top off, and sling the DV cam in the car, so at least I can rip off the sound as a wav file, which I may be able to post on my FTP site, then when the piper goes on, I`ll do ditto, hope this helps in the quest for the holy grail of the ultimate NA exhaust sound

#42 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

What's the db level of the Piper?

#43 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:42 PM

Ok guys, Further to earlier, the Piper arrived today and I've just unpacked it. Looks very well made and they've supplied stainless bolts for the connection to the centre pipe. Will get it weighed and fitted over the weekend and report back. El Griffo

#44 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, don't get too loud or they won't let you on track at Hockenheim at Whit!

Yes! Got the dates! See UK Meete & Events for info/new poll :groupjump:

#45 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:13 AM

Lets all hope and pray that the Piper is the best compromise between the sound/fun/price levels, and that it is well built :groupjump: . BTW, I've tried to get Janspeed to supply more information, but failed so far. :angry:

#46 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:54 PM

An update on the Piper. Just about fitted it but the original is a bugger to get off. You have to remove the downpipe from the manifold complete with catalyst, if you have one (I dont cos i dont believe in them). Even then its a struggle. To get the Piper on its necessary to clip through the heat shielding at the nearside, but thats not a problem. The great news is that I weighed both systems before fitting the Piper and it saves 4.75 kilos over the standard backbox. That is quite significant since its "pendulum" weight - ie its at the extreme end of the car where you dont want it. Had no time to finish the job tonight but hope to fire it up sometime in the next few days and I'll let you know what I think about the sound. cheers Griffo

#47 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:50 AM

That makes it 7,25 kg someting, I suppose?

#48 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:44 AM

BTW, I've tried to get Janspeed to supply more information, but failed so far. :angry:

Me too. I tried on Wednesday to get them to confirm that they supply Vauxhall with their sports exhaust but no luck yet. I might try them again tomorrow.

The elise guys seem to love Janspeed so I'm liking the idea of a full Janspeed system at the moment - providing that the above holds true.

Ben

#49 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:05 PM

And here is an updated table, with the weight of the Piper unit. An extra kg may reflect a higher build quality, of course.

Attached Files

#50 dubickini

dubickini

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:05 PM

On this page, they say that the miltek save 3kg end 93 noise level.

http://www.vx220tuni...uk/exhausts.asp

#51 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

..and so does the table... (12 kg - 3 kg =9 kg)

#52 dubickini

dubickini

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

..and so does the table...

(12 kg - 3 kg =9 kg)

Ok, sorry :drink:

But 9 kg is the weight of full system, no ? Silencer + sport cat...

Edited by dubickini, 19 January 2004 - 07:20 PM.

#53 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

OK, I stand corrected! cheers The full system is without the pre-cat as well, so it is hard to tell how much the silencer alone saves? 2 kg?

#54 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:44 PM

I'll check.

#55 Piper

Piper

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:30 AM

Excellent Glad the weight and build quality are up to your demands :) So, does any one want to do a before and after test on the box??? Would be interesting. I will call Total Vauxhall this morning and see if they want to do an article for the magazine. Dyno tests and comments regarding weight, build quality, price etc... It could make a good atricle. Regards Garry Exhaust Sales

#56 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:48 PM

Further on the Piper, Ran it for about an hour today and it makes a nice mellow sound. Trouble is its a bit intrusive on a system like mine with no cats and I'm not sure I can live with it. It would be fine for a system with the main catalyst in place since this has some silencing affect. Thus, reluctantly, feel I might sell it. Anyone interested? Griffo

#57 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

How much do you want for that loud, used, thing? ;)

#58 stevemgvx

stevemgvx

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:27 PM

I seem to remember David at Piper testing the box at 93dBs at 5000rpm but Gary should be able to confirm. One of the criteria was to be inside the trackday limit.

#59 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:09 PM

I seem to remember David at Piper testing the box at 93dBs at 5000rpm but Gary should be able to confirm. One of the criteria was to be inside the trackday limit.

that is not loud at all...
at the Ring the noise limit is 95db at 3000rpm, instrument placed about 1 meter away and slightly offset from the pipes....

the marshalls are dead bored in the weekdays, when traffic is scarce, so they spot the loud guys of the final straight and stop you re-entering the parking lot.....
so, I got 92,5 cheating at 2500rpms.... :rolleyes:
(komo-tec + de-katted system)
a friend was tested 99db with a civic typer R, straight tube from engine to pipe.... :D :rolleyes:

#60 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:34 PM

How much do you want for that loud, used, thing? ;)

yeah, how much?

Piper - would be interested in some before and after testing although I'm not in the market for an exhaust till March really (holiday and servicing required first $$$$$$!).

Would be interested in hearing a demo or soundclip first though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users