• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Anyone ever tried this?

(I've had some damage on front and back of the car and was looking for a lightweight replacement body.. .. ..)
Putting an Exige GT3 CF body on top of a VXT chassis and engine.... :closedeyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Approx. 5 weeks to go and a lot to do...... :rolleyes:
- Wide-body wishbones, driveshafts and toe links, uprated Anti Roll Bar
- 46mm Ohlins dampers. Either a hard-core track set, or fast road
- Brakes, junk everything - calipers, ABS, Servo,etc, and go to GT3 Exige brakes with limiting valve with bias pedal box
- Possibly with hydraulic handbrake ?
- Full roll-cage
- Pro alloy upgraded charge cooler
- Center-lock Magnesium race wheels

#2 Phil T

Phil T

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Mad haha, does exige clams fit onto the vx220 then?

#3 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Mad haha, does exige clams fit onto the vx220 then?

Need to replace front crash structure and radiator surround and side sills and doors and lots of other parts using courage, lots of expertise and hard work, yes.

#4 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

Imnotworthy Look forward to progress pics thumbsup Was that the body posted on seloc?

#5 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Top work kit cars I lnv um Imnotworthy honest mate well done !

#6 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:46 AM

Was that the body posted on seloc?

Yes, its the 2006 Cadena GT3 body, posted on seloc.

Edited by manus, 14 March 2008 - 04:47 AM.

#7 VXJON

VXJON

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:58 AM

Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Imnotworthy That will be a Massive project Imnotworthy

#8 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

I admire your ambition, but why? If you want a VXT powered Exige, it would be simpler to bolt the engine into an Exige

#9 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

:o Look forward to progress pics! thumbsup

#10 Pipo

Pipo

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Computer, automotive technics, electronics, MTB, Alpine ski, playing keyboard.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

I admire your ambition, but why? If you want a VXT powered Exige, it would be simpler to bolt the engine into an Exige

:tt:

(I've had some damage on front and back of the car and was looking for a lightweight replacement body.. .. ..)
Putting an Exige GT3 CF body on top of a VXT chassis and engine.... :closedeyes:

It's clear the opportunity was there in the form of an CF Exige body for sale, not an Exige without engine ;)

Edited by Pipo, 14 March 2008 - 07:41 AM.

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Manus, having seen your car at Plans last weekend whilst mine was having a 12month inspection of development parts. I took the chance to have a good look over at the car in its current configuration ( you have 411bhp ) , and where you are going. This is a very exciting project, I will have lots of questions , hehe I must admit I thought the front exige clam would be a more straight forward on to a VX, as there is not a lot different I thought compared to the S1. I assume you will compete in some GT class racing, or class C/D in LotRDC by invitiation ? I always had Class B in mind for mine. Give us a shout next time you are going to Dunsfold. It would be great to see the car on a UK track, any plans ?

#12 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

Brilliant! Please keep us up to date with progress. thumbsup Imnotworthy

#13 robfenn

robfenn

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Photography, Travelling, Racing Cars.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

Dare you to stick a few Vauxhall badges on...

#14 n1k_ns

n1k_ns

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Interests:Date Of VX First Registration: 01/03/2002

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

looks wicked! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread Imnotworthy

#15 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

Am I missing the point? It's great that you're making your VX look like an Exige (mmm!), but why not buy a cheap damaged Elise or Exige as the Donor car & put whatever engine you want in it, either your Vx Turbo lump or Honda/toyota power? It will save you pulling your hair out & save you huge amounts of time and money and you will end up with a better resolved car... or should we assume you just like a challenge?

#16 JawZ

JawZ

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, 3D/2D Gfx, Web design, Sportscars, Electronic Music.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Looking forward to more updates thumbsup interesting project :)

#17 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

go for it chinky chinky 411bhp Imnotworthy

#18 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

:tt:

It's clear the opportunity was there in the form of an CF Exige body for sale, not an Exige without engine ;)

That's absolutely right.
It sort of evolved the way we're approaching the project now. With some damage on my VXT, first plan was to just get it fixed. Never been out looking for an Exige body but found it when looking for Vauxhall/Opel CF replacement parts.
Perhaps with a donor Exige it could be easier but I don't think the subframe will fit in that easy and I would need first to buy a reasonable good Exige before starting.

Once the concept was born and a feasibility study was done, all the other bits and pieces like brake upgrade and the wide-body wishbones are sort of logical next steps to fit with the 'racy' body and 'racy' engine.
End of the day the car will have to be road-legal. I drive my VXT every day and use it on track days just for fun. Lots and lots of fun :happy: !

#19 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

Dare you to stick a few Vauxhall badges on...

No problem ;) Projects like this show us there is no big difference Lotus/Vauxhall, just engine and some bits and pieces :rolleyes: Biggest difference is between the ears of the driver :unsure:

#20 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

I assume you will compete in some GT class racing, or class C/D in LotRDC by invitiation ? I always had Class B in mind for mine.

Give us a shout next time you are going to Dunsfold.

It would be great to see the car on a UK track, any plans ?

The car will remain in Dunsfold until its finished. Planning is April 12 :jump: but depending on delivery time of some parts.

No plans for racing, but current plans include track days like April 19 Abbeville, May 26 Spa, July 7 Le Mans and some at Zandvoort. Looking forward to join on UK track days in the 2nd half of this year :happy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users