Main Cat Removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 04:24 PM

Following should answer queries by Rabiata Paul. Best way to get rid of the main cat (which you will need for the MOT) is to buy a used strandard downpipe from someone like Chris at Regal since he takes them off cars to fit his sports cat and usually has plenty. Then remove your own downpipe complete with cats and put it somewhere safe for MOT time. Take the spare and bolt it into a right-angled wooden jig (to make sure the bolt positions are correct. Then carefully cut out the main cat with an angle grinder (and of course remove the pre-cat, if its still there). Weld into place the appropriate length of marine grade stainless steel tube (use mig welder, stainless wire and argon) WITH THE PIPE IN THE JIG. Eh voila, you have a cat free exhaust system and about 10 free BHP. The management light will come on after about 50 miles. You can ignore it and just re-set it (by disconnecting and then re-connecting the battery) so service chaps dont get their knickers in a twist. Alternatively you can try putting a resistor in the downstream 02 sensor return wire. I am still experimenting with this and will post a note on how many ohms actually work in due course. cheers Griffo

#2 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:17 PM

How much does the regal guy charge for a second hand cat pipe?

#3 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:17 AM

It was some time ago but I seem to remember he charged me £150. Griffo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users