Don't know why anyone would need 330bhp in a VX... 147bhp is plenty! :rolleyes:

:yeahthat: :lol::lol:

#62 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

I don't have a stage 5, but my VXT's current power output is pretty close to iram's what I have found is that the level of concentration needed to keep the car on the road increases dramatically as the turbo spools up and generates close to 1.6 bar, it really is hard to describe you need to be focused. What I do know is that when my VX was at 256 bhp it was sweet, just the right level of speed, acceleration, balance and braking - perfect!!!!! now its faster but much more focused it really feels like an old group C racer and that's my point moving up with the power doesn't always mean a faster overall package, after all my mods I found it interesting that I was 2 secs slower lapping Zolder with 100 bhp more in October. Still in a straight line its awesome. More work is needed in mapping and making the car more easier to drive which is just further testing and development which I enjoy so its part of the fun. Cheers all and have a very happy new year Cheers Ian

#63 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

I don't have a stage 5, but my VXT's current power output is pretty close to iram's what I have found is that the level of concentration needed to keep the car on the road increases dramatically as the turbo spools up and generates close to 1.6 bar, it really is hard to describe you need to be focused.

you have to develop a sixth sense in the seat of your pants , and a special VX vision as the outside world becomes a blur.

#64 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

Where did you find an old airfield? been looking for one for ages..

#65 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

[quote name='danger7' date='Dec 27 2008, 19:45 ' post='822236']
I don't have a stage 5, but my VXT's current power output is pretty close to iram's what I have found is that the level of concentration needed to keep the car on the road increases dramatically as the turbo spools up and generates close to 1.6 bar, it really is hard to describe you need to be focused.

spot on turbo spools both hands on stearing wheel,adrenaline ,fear ,focus and concentration!

i pose the question how much is enough i think at the moment (summer may paint a different answer) with as i call it the stealth look 340hp and 385lbs is. as you said development and i think the new map is awesome and spot on for road/track!
any more power is going to need a wing, diffuser, probably a muddied roof line and a front splitter that has the ground clearance to take a gnats head off, so there for not for road use say 380hp and 420lbs then you are there!!! any more you have a drag car!!! thoughts!!!

#66 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Where did you find an old airfield? been looking for one for ages..

you know the one! there are plenty about! know end around your neck of the woods! :rolleyes:

#67 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

I know quite a few speedsters in Holland and Germany with excess of 400 bhp and monster torque. It's not all aerodynamics at this stage the basic aero package is not bad, its more mechanical i.e gearbox the Gertrag box suddenly starts lose syncos at an alarming rate and without an aftermarket LSD with that amount of power you can spin the car in a straight line if one wheel spins up without TC or LSD to intervene its game over. I would suggest that around 300 bhp 285 ibs torque and a wet weight of 900 kgs is about optimum, as I mentioned 100 bhp less and 2 secs per lap faster - its about confidence and balance, yes I was 15 mph faster down the straight but into the braking area I had to brake earlier and found the car more unsettled with the whacking great thump the Garrett gives when on full boost. A hybrid spools more gently and thus youre able to get on the power earlier and attack the corner thus quite a few tenths quicker as a result. The data logger showed that rpm values were peaking earlier with the hybrid unit and faithful Z20LET package compared to Z20LEH & Garrett G28. Still good fun and now wheels and tyres are the next item on the list - Rial GTR's 215/45/r17 FRONTS AND 245/45/R18's rear & AO48's or 888's for the black stuff. Cheers All

#68 iram

iram

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

I know quite a few speedsters in Holland and Germany with excess of 400 bhp and monster torque.

It's not all aerodynamics at this stage the basic aero package is not bad, its more mechanical i.e gearbox the Gertrag box suddenly starts lose syncos at an alarming rate and without an aftermarket LSD with that amount of power you can spin the car in a straight line if one wheel spins up without TC or LSD to intervene its game over.

I would suggest that around 300 bhp 285 ibs torque and a wet weight of 900 kgs is about optimum, as I mentioned 100 bhp less and 2 secs per lap faster - its about confidence and balance, yes I was 15 mph faster down the straight but into the braking area I had to brake earlier and found the car more unsettled with the whacking great thump the Garrett gives when on full boost. A hybrid spools more gently and thus youre able to get on the power earlier and attack the corner thus quite a few tenths quicker as a result. The data logger showed that rpm values were peaking earlier with the hybrid unit and faithful Z20LET package compared to Z20LEH & Garrett G28.

Still good fun and now wheels and tyres are the next item on the list - Rial GTR's 215/45/r17 FRONTS AND 245/45/R18's rear & AO48's or 888's for the black stuff.

Cheers
All

like you said confidence and getting used to it! i have adapted well with each stage increase of power and will again, it would be to much to go from standard to present in one jump mind you! i had the LSD at the same time so i am sure that helped and again changed the characteristics and raised the traction limits!
the map i have now is superb and the both powers start to build a lot earlier not to dissimilar to the previous stage with 270hp using the astra vxr turbo!

what is your car running at!

iram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users