Scared Stiffed

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:47 PM

Just got the car back. Once over the hurdle of a lost locking wheel nut key (yes again!!! fortunatly I have a number this time so it'll only cost £6 not £150!) they reset the geometry. The car feels so much more secure/confidence inspiring/grippy now. Part of this is down to lower tyre pressures (apparantly they were over inflated and they prefer to run them at less than Vauxhalls recomendations). On bumpy unclasified country lanes it feels more planted but the big improvement was the complete lack of understeer. I took it round some of my fave MK roundabouts in the damp with front tyres that will very soon need replacing and the front end just grips. Very very pleased :groupjump:

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:54 AM

Your comments are very similar to the Aoutocar tester regarding the difference between the VXT and 111R. Think I will be paying SS a visit. How much? Andrew

#3 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:18 AM

£141, big fella.

#4 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:23 AM

The car feels so much more secure/confidence inspiring/grippy now. Part of this is down to lower tyre pressures (apparantly they were over inflated and they prefer to run them at less than Vauxhalls recomendations).

What pressures are you running now?

#5 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:47 AM

How much?

Or £193 if your car's really buggered.

#6 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:41 PM

£193 sounds a lot of cash - does 're-setting the geometry' take a long time? Would it be recommended on a newish car and are they resetting back to factory settings? Will it need to be done again like tracking? (please excuse my ignorance :beat: )

#7 Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Guest_skiddo (Guest)

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:51 PM

foxy - many threads with details in but this is goodplace to start...

http://www.vx220.org...t=ST&f=2&t=5683

#8 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

£193?! :o Were you missing a wheel or something?! :P Paul, I'd also be interested to know your tyre pressures, and what effect they say they have. I always felt mine felt a little sharper and more responsive when at the correct pressure, rather than a little below...

#9 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:12 PM

skiddo - moderator scum :lol: :lol: :lol: for obvious reasons the guys at scared stiff ask us not to go blabbing about settings and pressures on here :P just get it done. jim_cross sums it up better than i could... its been said before but i'll say it again....its without doubt the best £140 ive ever spent :D :D

#10 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:59 PM

Paul, I'd also be interested to know your tyre pressures, and what effect they say they have. I always felt mine felt a little sharper and more responsive when at the correct pressure, rather than a little below...

Jim, sharper and pointier does not always equate to more grip though, which I think is the effect Paul is referring to. Over-inflated tyres will give the impression of very direct steering when the tyre is square on the road, but the surface contact area drops off qucikly as soon as the geometry changes in bump or rebound or when winding on steering lock. A slightly softer tyre is a good compromise, maximising grip in all situations.

I usually set my tyres 3 to 4 psi lower than factory recommended settings when tracking, depending on the track of course. I could not get enough heat in the tyres at Cadwell Pk, so left them close to standard, but at Donington where the tyres are worked fairly hard I took 4 psi out. The tyres get a real pounding at Knockhill, and I have experimented with pressures below 20psi to begin with. makes for an interesting first lap until you get some heat in the tyres :D

Edited by garyk220, 06 February 2004 - 02:02 PM.

#11 DAZ

DAZ

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:14 PM

looks good whats scared stiffeds TEL:& where thay at mite get my car done cheers

#12 earlystock

earlystock

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:53 PM

Anyone ever driven in a sacred stiff "set up" and also a VX or VXT with Nitrons? Wondering if the set up (cheap at the prices) is close to the Nitrons (still relatively cheap for what you get). I've got the power (sounds like a good song title), now I want the handling, so far I have not really put the VXT to the test, but it doesn't feel as sensitive as my old NA (though it certainly seems to hang on ok on the corners, not much understeer on roundabouts)

#13 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 06 February 2004 - 03:51 PM

If/when you get the nitrons, you get the same set up adjustments.

#14 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:36 PM

link to Scared Stifff HERE

As for tyre pressures I think (talking from memory which isn't very reliable :rolleyes: ) he said 22 on the front and 25 rear or there abouts.

Mine cost 150 = VAT but that was because l've lost my locking wheel nut key and he had to do it with the wheels on which is more dificult

Normally 120 + VAT

I guess thats 2/3 hours labour.

The settings are obviously different the standard Vauxhall/Lotus ones so I guess if tracking needs to be done then it will be back to them again.

#15 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:45 PM

As for tyre pressures I think (talking from memory which isn't very reliable :rolleyes: ) he said 22 on the front and 25 rear or there abouts.

I was running 26 / 30 at Anglesey as recommended in the handbook. I have decided I prefer them lower!
I had run 22/26 before and felt more comfortable with the handling & grip, so if there's no safety issue I'll go back to that.

#16 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:49 PM

Just spoken to steve - it was 22/24. He told me the settings for the geo should I ever need them resetting but asked me not to pass them on (which i think is fair). I think however i'd always go back there rather than trust some bog standard garage or Vauxhall. - Actually i seem to remember Vauxhall wanting around the £200 mark for a 4 wheel geo check anyway.

#17 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:11 PM

That's fair. I probably need a bit more in the back anyway being a heavier engine. One day i'll get around to getting them to set up mine too!

#18 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for that Paul. I can understand them not wanting geo settings to be given out, but I would have thought tyre pressures would be fine? They paint-sticked my the settings onto my car, so if I ever need to get it done again, they will know where to set it. And if I ever need it doing again, it'll certainly be going back to them rather than letting someone else do it :)

#19 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:02 PM

foxy - many threads with details in but this is goodplace to start...

http://www.vx220.org...t=ST&f=2&t=5683

nice one skiddo - cheers mate...you have the patience of a saint!

#20 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:32 PM

22/24?? Interesting....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users