Wider Front Wheels

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

I'm looking at changing the wheels when the tyres are worn down on these ones. I've done a search but get snowed under with 17 rear 16 front reults I know everyone says go for 16" fronts but i'm looking at 17" fronts but a wider width. Anyone fitted 7" x 17" if so what offset did you use? I was planning on bringing the wheel outwards by aproximatly 10-20mm at the same time and would rather do this with the wheel offset rather than spacers. any advice from previous experience would be very much appreciated

Edited by A13EX_F, 02 July 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#2 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Several people (me included) have fitted VX220 rear alloys to the front with 205 tyres. The T1-R specs state that the 7 inch rear wheel (I think... A quick search and a vauxhall press release said 7.5??) is right in the middle of the acceptable range for the 205 (although it looks a bit 'pulled' on my wheels). The rears appear to work perfectly with no rubbing, so it would be worth looking at the ET of those...

#3 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

never thought of trying that, wouldnt fancy doing it myself though would only go wider with a lighter wheel such as the td 1.2

#4 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi, I think the reasons people tend to go for the 16 up front are for choice of tyres, less unsprung weight and its the setup Lotus have for these chassis as the general belief is that it gives better handling. Is it the 4x4 look you want to avoid that happens when moving to 16" :D (IMO the gap does look wrong - and to avoid that you have to get the car lowered so will typicallly need to change suspension as well). What make of wheels would you go for? cheers

#5 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

it would be team dynamics 1.2 so wouldn't be much heavier than standard maybe a little lighter (depends what the tyre weight difference is i guess) forgot to ask i'd also have to be careful on what tyre sizes i use i'd keep the overall tyre diameter the same as the stock 17" wheel I'm not too concerned about the handling so much as i wont be going on track so probably would never notice the benefit of the 16" wheel up front

#6 Pugley

Pugley

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Made the transition to rear rims on front with 205/40/17 Toyo T1Rs, no spacers, no rubbing. This is bang in the middle of the fitment chart for the 7.5j rim but I do agree with rabidh that they look lean. And, of course they match the back and dont cost the earth - and keep the car looking original. Having run the tyre in for 1K miles I must say I have never driven a performance car with a more firmly planted front end - not being a driving god, I just love the massive grip at the front giving rise to a slight oversteer feel. Dont wish to become embroiled over the debate that the original tyre size is already perfect! IT JUST FEELS GOOD!

#7 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

just to put another spanner in the works anyone tried 18" rear 17" fronts?

#8 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Honey

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

Not sure if this helps any but I am running Fronts at 7j x 16" with ET23, (Rear wheels 8 x 17 ET30). The standard front offset I believe is ET26. Very close to the arches (looks fat :D ), no rubbing although I'm running 195 TR1's but did change suspension as it needed to be lowered 'cos the gap looked pants. No regrets on having 16's up front as it feels tighter going into corners etc. Mind you, had full geo done after as well so that helped..... thumbsup

#9 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Having run the tyre in for 1K miles I must say I have never driven a performance car with a more firmly planted front end - not being a driving god, I just love the massive grip at the front giving rise to a slight oversteer feel.

Dont wish to become embroiled over the debate that the original tyre size is already perfect! IT JUST FEELS GOOD!

I've had mine at least 5k miles now, maybe 10. One of the best mods I made to the car IMO. I do have a TMS geo, but the car feels very nicely balanced now, and the Toyos break away very progressively and give you huge confidence. I haven't noticed the increased weight up front tbh, although the steering is a little more dull (I imagine due to the nature of the Toyo rubber and the larger contact with the road).

I've noticed from general driving that if you keep accelerating while in a corner the car will just move out with all 4 wheels slipping, but if you enter a corner too fast, as you turn in the back goes wide in a nice controlled way and you just need a tiny bit of corrective input. It is massively rewarding to drive - but I think it's one of those things that depends on your driving style. You'll either love it or hate the way there's no 'safe' understeer.

The stopping power isn't too bad either :)

#10 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

i guess a wider front wheel is a big bonus if you like to brake late as the 175 tyres are easy upset the abs. i guess i've got a project to do this weekend and see how the rears fit onto the fronts then i can get some new wheels on order :)

#11 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

i guess a wider front wheel is a big bonus if you like to brake late as the 175 tyres are easy upset the abs.

i guess i've got a project to do this weekend and see how the rears fit onto the fronts then i can get some new wheels on order :)

I have my ABS turned off (it scared me one too many times), so I'm not sure how the wide tyres work with it...
I believe the std. 225 tyres on the rears will rub on the liners at full lock, which is a bit of a shame...

#12 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

ahh i see mightbe worth a fit to have a look how it looks with the different offset etc. anyone fitted aftermarket 17" wheels to the front?

#13 larres

larres

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Here in Germany there are some guys who have fitted ATS DTC Wheels with the front dimension 7,5x17 ET 20
or Rial GTR from VX-Performance 8,0 x 17 ET20

Edited by larres, 02 July 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#14 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

thanks larres thats the widths / offset i was thinking of doing. dont suppose you know where theres any pics of the cars with these wheels / offsets on? mainly to see if the wheel sticks out a little more than stock (but not too far)

#15 larres

larres

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

Something like that?

Rial GTR
Attached File  Bild1.jpg   105.29KB   34 downloads

ATS DTC
Attached File  Bild2.jpg   51.03KB   30 downloads

These DTCs are really superlight... These are lighter than the standard DTC's which are not availabe with 5/110

8,30 kg ATS DTC 7,5x17"
9,30 kg ATS DTC 9,0x17"
Distributor for the special VX DTC wheel is www.dempert-automotive.de

Edited by larres, 02 July 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#16 A13EX_F

A13EX_F

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

great thanks very much i think that answers my question they seem to sit just about correct with that width and offset

#17 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

just to put another spanner in the works anyone tried 18" rear 17" fronts?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new Europa uses this combo :unsure:

#18 VX AZ

VX AZ

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

Something like that?

Rial GTR
Attached File  Bild1.jpg   105.29KB   34 downloads

ATS DTC
Attached File  Bild2.jpg   51.03KB   30 downloads

These DTCs are really superlight... These are lighter than the standard DTC's which are not availabe with 5/110

8,30 kg ATS DTC 7,5x17"
9,30 kg ATS DTC 9,0x17"
Distributor for the special VX DTC wheel is www.dempert-automotive.de

Slighty off topic.......where can I get them wing mirrors from on the bottom VX?

#19 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Slighty off topic.......where can I get them wing mirrors from on the bottom VX?

From Lotus - my thread here thumbsup B)

#20 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Is anyone on this site currently running the standard rear wheels on the front, I'm thinking of doing it myself. I would like to have 215 tyres at the front if possible. I'm happy with the 225 at the back. Just fed up of widow maker 175 front tyres and want to keep the standard look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users