Well worth doing people! 3Hrs labour, a lifetime of pleasure!! :D

#2 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 10:00 PM

Well worth doing people! 3Hrs labour, a lifetime of pleasure!! :D

Yeah but they will have to go back on for the MOT, right?

#3 R3D VX

R3D VX

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 12:32 PM

Nah, the pre cat is not required for the MOT, (I am reliably informed by some long standing members!) It was put on so the car can pass Euro 4/5?? emissions regs in 2004ish. As the car is already sold it will not need to pass these levels. ;)

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 18 March 2003 - 12:51 PM

Nah, the pre cat is not required for the MOT, (I am reliably informed by some long standing members!) It was put on so the car can pass Euro 4/5?? emissions regs in 2004ish. As the car is already sold it will not need to pass these levels. ;)

pre kat is there only for cold start emissions.

#5 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 12:28 PM

Anyone know what size the bolts are in case I break one doing the work? (I'd rather get a couple from work before starting the job ;)) Ta Nick

Edited by TheRockstar, 02 April 2003 - 12:28 PM.

#6 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:27 PM

13 mm bolts about 30 mm long, around 6mm thread diameter with auto-locking nuts (not the plastic-ring kind!).

#7 Marco

Marco

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:38 PM

maybe we should have a section on the site for guides on how and why to do things like this..?

#8 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:44 PM

13 mm bolts about 30 mm long, around 6mm thread diameter with auto-locking nuts (not the plastic-ring kind!).

So you mean M6x30 bolts with a 13mm head?....and what do you mean by auto locking nuts?....(I assume you mean not 'Nyloc' nuts which are the ones with the blue plastic bit - not sure what other kind of self locking nuts there are...?.. :poke: )

Agree with the idea Marco, a 'How To' section would be good..... Thorney, I'd be happy to pull this together if everyone sends me the details.....

ta

Nick

Edited by TheRockstar, 02 April 2003 - 02:45 PM.

#9 Dragracer

Dragracer

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:winning the lottery...

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:45 PM

Nick, Yep, the bolts are M6 x 30mm. The nuts are all metal self lockers, ie the very top of the nut is slightly crimped into a triangular shape. The same idea is often used on one piece rocker arm adjusting nuts on Ford and Chevrolet V8's. I took out the pre-cat a couple of weeks ago. A pretty straightforward dissembly, but the foil matrix of the cat must be the most awkward metal in the world. A really sharp cold chisel was the best thing I found, working around the whole outer edge first, then slowly collapsing it so it can be twisted out. I slowly collapsed into a pot of tea afterwards.... Seriously tho' WEAR A DUST MASK when you are splitting the cat element from the pipe. Palladium and God knows what else will get into your respiratory tract otherwise. Best of luck, Chevy...

#10 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 05:52 PM

Aha... know the nuts you mean....Guess I'll get onto it soon (once they sort out my frikkin steering pull problem!!!...) :angry:

#11 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:03 PM

Nick,
Yep, the bolts are M6 x 30mm. The nuts are all metal self lockers, ie the very top of the nut is slightly crimped into a triangular shape.

ahh, thanks for the techie-english lesson.... :D
"metal self lockers" is what I meant.... not triangular though :unsure: , mine are just tighter et the end, with a softer metal edge that squeeze around the bolt....just finished using'em installing the backbox...got new steel bolts for the fecking "curve", by far the worst part to refit/adapt when installing a different exhaust...had to mod the clamp, and the heat shield :beat: :beat:
....after 3 curse-ful hours, now it's up at least....tomorrow morning I will tighten up everything, so that the bodyshells can be re-installed and painted anew.... B)

#12 Guest_grand-fromage (Guest) (Guest)

Guest_grand-fromage (Guest) (Guest)

Posted 08 April 2003 - 09:30 AM

Spent most of Sunday removing the pre-cat and ended up with hands that looked like claws and covered with cuts and bruises. :beat: It really is a right fecker to remove but there is a noticable performance gain as well as more noise. If I could have bought my way out of it I would but once you've started on a Sunday and you need the car the next day youv'e got no choice but to finish it. :drink:

#13 Duncan

Duncan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 05:31 PM

Don't hold my trainspotter knowledge against me, but M8 bolts have a 13mm A/F head not M6's. Really should get out more. Which should change when I get my car! You should also replace any gaskets at the same time (if there are any).

#14 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:42 AM

Is there any possibility that somebody could provide step-by-step instructions for removing the pre-cat. I'm pretty crap when it comes to the mechanical side of things so don't want to stuff it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Andy.

#15 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 06:56 AM

http://www.vx220.org...f=9&t=597&st=15

..hint: if you are crap with mech. work, then don't even start it... :P

Edited by Ricky2772, 10 April 2003 - 06:57 AM.

#16 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:38 AM

http://www.vx220.org...f=9&t=597&st=15

..hint: if you are crap with mech. work, then don't even start it... :P

Merci! :)

Andy.

#17 R3D VX

R3D VX

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:54 PM

It is quite a straight forward job, but if something goes wrong (bolts snap/sheer off, or the mesh wont break down) you may find that you have a car that is going nowhere! It took pros 3hrs on my car, i think i could get that down to 2ish but they had all the backup required (Oxysettelene to heat/melt bits, new bolts etc) plus they broke their tools not mine!!! (drill bits, chisels etc.) Would recommend getting a garage to do it. Mike :P

#18 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:50 PM

Hi Mike, Hi-Q are more than happy to do mine as well. Just got to juggle times around to be able to get in there mid week. They think 2 to 2.5 hours 'cause of the number of bolts in the undertrays. He did say you had a very big grin on your face when tested it up the road! Chris.

#19 TheRockstar

TheRockstar

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 02:38 PM

You fellas got the phone number for Hi-Q, and the name of the guy you're dealing with?... I feel I may have to take a trip down to MK soon to get mine done.. :groupjump:

#20 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

Do Hi-Q remove the gubbins from the pre cat as well? Still interested in this. Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users