• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

Posted up a thread yesterday as to how to remove my centre brace (to retrim the gear lever surround cover, not because I don't like it!) because I could not find out how using the search function.

I have manged to remove it - it is easier than it looks. From the look of it it is difficult to see how it actuuallt fixes top and bottom so all is revealed here:

The centre brace has 2 bolts top, 4 bolts bottom and 2 further bolts mid way.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The centre brace is actually two pieces - the two outer bolts at the bottom, the two at the top and the 2 mid-way hold the sides together. Undo these bolts and the brace comes apart

Posted Image
Posted Image

This reveals fittings top and bottom that secure the brace to the dash and gear surround. Undo thes 4 bolts and Bobs yer uncle

Posted Image
Posted Image

The top has integrated wiring for the interior light. Disconnect the spade connectors to remove the brace completely. I have left mine dangling as I will refit once gear surround is re-trimmed.

#2 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Nice guide! Are these still available from Vauxhall? Anyone any idea on price?

#3 EdButler

EdButler

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

No longer available Snoops and rare as rocking horse manure!

#4 snoopstah

snoopstah

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

Cheers thumbsup

#5 The Insider

The Insider

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

NLS- No longer serviced, along with many other accesories such as the luggage rack.

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

Nice guide!

Are these still available from Vauxhall? Anyone any idea on price?

I've got one of these sat in the garage somehwere. Removed it in the first week of my ownership as it served no purpose and I felt it got in the way. Must try a dig it out.....

#7 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

My centre brace was already fitted when I bought the VX. Yes, it is purely cosmetic as it "braces" the dash against the plastic gear lever surround. Hardly a "load-bearing" piece of safety equipment. I kinda like mine as it looks a bit bare without one. The disadvantage is that when fitting, the interior light gets covered and replaced by the integrated lights of the brace - these are in fact just plastic domes that are illuminated by the bulb inside the brace - as shown in my pics - and are pretty naff. No good for map-reading!!!

#8 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

Thanks guys. I have removed the brace and replaced it with a cubby hole/oddments bin that is attached to both the gear surround and the dash. This unit is the same width as gear surround, it appears to work well. I am sorry I have not signed up for flicker yet, so if anyone wants to see photo's they'll have to email me direct at excelonmac@gmail.com I was totally amazed how pointless the optional brace was. Beast regards, Paulus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users