92 replies to this topic

#81 subseamac

subseamac

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

Well done team TMS - chinky chinky

A friend snapped you giving it the beans - I can get high res if anyone wants it thumbsup
Posted Image

Hi-Res would be great - I've just found my PC's wallpaper - Great picture and a fantastic achievement for the TMS team thumbsup

#82 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

Well done guys, how many cars took part in total?

great write up John thumbsup

http://www.thorneymo...mpionship.shtml

#83 frogman

frogman

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

Tadpole & I would like to add our congratulations to John & the 'VX Team' chinky chinky for a fantastic result. It should go down as the 'VX220's' finest hour so far (hopefully not the last). It's good to see TMS keeping the the VX flag flying. Well done, F&T.

#84 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Thank you Mr Frogman and Tadpole. Nice to catch up with you for a quick chat, sorry it was a bit rushed.

#85 mal_dun

mal_dun

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:VX220, narrowboating, golf

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Well done. My son was there and one of his photos are on this thread (Dunlopix.com) He put a few more on his own website.

#86 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

What's his website ?

#87 mal_dun

mal_dun

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:VX220, narrowboating, golf

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

What's his website ?

www.dunlopix.com. It's in the Britcar heading. Click on the text rather than the photo.

#88 pincher

pincher

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

Well done. My son was there and one of his photos are on this thread (Dunlopix.com) He put a few more on his own website.

Cool! I did email Tim when I linked to the pic just to make sure he was OK with it thumbsup

#89 Stu-7

Stu-7

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

John, Fantastic achievement. With all the focus on LoT racing right now, it's great to see you got that car to the finish. Well done. Any plans for 2009 24hr race? How can you cure the gear-cavles melting? I seem to remember that happening on the TMS Class C car no? Has anyone else had this happen on a track car? Great work nevertheless. Hoping you can scrape funds together for next year.....

#90 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Gear cables melting was a bit of s surprise but then 24 hrs in a car is a little more extreme than people imagine, for example the exhaust was glowing cherry red just a simple aspect of heat, remember we were doing 3 hour stints, thats race pace (or certainly high speed track day pace) for three hours straight; no stops, no cool down laps, just 3 hours, imagine how hard that is on a car. We've not yet gone over it but it does seem that the damage is related to gear box cables (which we can shield further) and stronger gearbox internals (again easy to fix) along with uprated flywheel bolts, the engien itself is fine (even when we ran it toolow on oil in practice and it threw the followers off) and we melted a couple of parts of the wiring loom, thats it.

#91 Stu-7

Stu-7

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Gear cables melting was a bit of s surprise but then 24 hrs in a car is a little more extreme than people imagine, for example the exhaust was glowing cherry red just a simple aspect of heat, remember we were doing 3 hour stints, thats race pace (or certainly high speed track day pace) for three hours straight; no stops, no cool down laps, just 3 hours, imagine how hard that is on a car. We've not yet gone over it but it does seem that the damage is related to gear box cables (which we can shield further) and stronger gearbox internals (again easy to fix) along with uprated flywheel bolts, the engien itself is fine (even when we ran it toolow on oil in practice and it threw the followers off) and we melted a couple of parts of the wiring loom, thats it.

Thanks. Yes I appreciate the conditions of 24hr racing are somewhat more extreme than other forms. But I do remember you telling me at Castle Combe towards the end of the first season of LoT Trophy that the turbo race car was repeatedly melting gearbox cables, and was only after 20 minute sessions ?

Why doesn't this happen on Supercharged Elises?
I'm not nagging, just curious. Is it because the cables are situated closer to the exhaust manifold in the VX?

Edited by Stu-7, 01 October 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#92 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

You're talking about two different cars, the VXT cables were re-routed in the race car and shielded that sorted that issue, the NA gear cables had to be re-routed for the 110litre fuel tank and that brought them close to the exhaust and we simply didn't shield them enough for the 24hr, again easily fixed.

#93 Stu-7

Stu-7

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

You're talking about two different cars, the VXT cables were re-routed in the race car and shielded that sorted that issue, the NA gear cables had to be re-routed for the 110litre fuel tank and that brought them close to the exhaust and we simply didn't shield them enough for the 24hr, again easily fixed.

Ah ok - I was unaware you had re-routed them in the NA car.

NA and Turbo x2 different cars - really? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users