Diy Dash Repair

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

I've been asked where I got this dash from a few times so I thought I'd repost this from another (unrelated) thread..

Posted Image

It's a long story but the rev counter in my stack croaked. After a lot of agro trying to get if fixed (without success) I tried a more creative route...

I took the board off the back of the stack and made some spacers to mount it 2 inches further back. Then I got a cheapy rev counter from ebay, hooked it up to the input plug on the stack and it worked fine. So rather than just put it all together in standard format I made a new dash layout. The speedo and rev counter needles are shortened by about 15mm and the diameter of the faces are smaller. This leaves enough room for an extra dial and an extra LCD temp guage for later use with a chargecooler. The small knob on the lower right selects any one of 3 thermocouple inputs to the temp guage. I needed to add extension cables for the speedo stepper motor, lighting LEDS and original LCD display.

The new background card I knocked up in Adobe Illustrator, printed it on card and gave it a coat of sticky backed plastic. Got a piece of acrylic sheet and sprayed a new mask on it. This is a closer view of the design with mask (its offset cos you look at it at an angle)..

Posted Image

I changed the lights to blue for good measure and bobs your uncle. Oh and I moved the shift light to the top of the binnacle so it shows up in the screen as a head-up (brilliant).

Yes I did do it in the winter when the nights are long an cold and a VX is just for looking at in the garage.

#2 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

people like you make me sick :rolleyes:

#3 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

WOW! Imnotworthy

#4 MaDFreeBiRD

MaDFreeBiRD

VX gone :( 350Z replacement :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

nice job matey thumbsup i wish i had the patience to do something like that

#5 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

Don't tell me, you want me to make you one of these as well ;)

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:19 PM

looks good other than i wouldnt have chose the blue leds but good design

#7 GruFF

GruFF

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

nice job matey thumbsup i wish i had the patience to do something like that

i wish i knew how to do that! lol. good job! looks the nuts :)

#8 Ozzig

Ozzig

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

Group buy :)

#9 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

looks good other than i wouldnt have chose the blue leds but good design

Yeh, I was a bit torn.. I had loads of LED's to choose from so I tried blue, red, green and red / green mix which was interesting - anything other than sickly yellow. The really interesting one was UV which will flouresce highlighter pen ink. I made one design in normal colours for day time and another one on the same card with marker pen which only showed up at night while the day time one dissapeared, looked awsome but I wasn't sure the highlighter ink wouldn't fade in sunlight.

I thought blue would look a bit common but in the end it still looked the best to me so I went for it.

#10 Guy182

Guy182

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

jees, nice work! you'll be banned on here for not following the crowd! :gayfight:

#11 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

:lol:

Wish i had the time, experience and tools to do it all! I do like the integrated boost gauge and you could have inlet temp on the digital display thumbsup

#12 VXJON

VXJON

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

:yeahthat:

Show off

Looks great Imnotworthy Imnotworthy

#13 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

random question- if i wanted to put in a switch that would allow me to turn all the lights on the stack off, how tricky would this be? as i dont know what feed or fuse the stack is on, if i could avoid taking it apart that would be great, but a small push button on the side, like the other dimming switch would be pretty neat. i hate driving with lights blazing in my face when driving at night, its so lovely to drive with nothing on when i am not in a built up area.

#14 carlton x

carlton x

• PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:cars football music

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

thats just amazing ,did you watch blue peter when you was a kid

#15 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

random question- if i wanted to put in a switch that would allow me to turn all the lights on the stack off, how tricky would this be?

as i dont know what feed or fuse the stack is on, if i could avoid taking it apart that would be great, but a small push button on the side, like the other dimming switch would be pretty neat.

i hate driving with lights blazing in my face when driving at night, its so lovely to drive with nothing on when i am not in a built up area.

There is a wire that comes into the main connector block on the back of the Stack that carries the signal to turn the lights on, a switch in that line would do it. I found the pinouts of the connector on here so you should be able to find it with a search.

#16 daggles

daggles

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

thats just amazing ,did you watch blue peter when you was a kid

No but I had a crush on Bunty James as a kid so I watched every episode of 'How' (I think you need to be 40+ to appreciate this)

#17 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

random question- if i wanted to put in a switch that would allow me to turn all the lights on the stack off, how tricky would this be?

as i dont know what feed or fuse the stack is on, if i could avoid taking it apart that would be great, but a small push button on the side, like the other dimming switch would be pretty neat.

i hate driving with lights blazing in my face when driving at night, its so lovely to drive with nothing on when i am not in a built up area.

There is a wire that comes into the main connector block on the back of the Stack that carries the signal to turn the lights on, a switch in that line would do it. I found the pinouts of the connector on here so you should be able to find it with a search.

thats excellent, thanks for that.

D

#18 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

Imnotworthy How much to make me one of these (unlike Joe I love the blue LED) thumbsup

#19 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

sorry let me correct what i said earlier!! i like having the normal orange colour lights only becuase it goes with my car!! i bet the blue leds look good on other coloured cars

#20 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

How easy is it to change the LED's. I saw a post on here which involved soldering and such but I'm too much of a poof to attempt any of that stuff myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users