4 replies to this topic

#1 stuntman

stuntman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, performance poetry, rock music and proper driving

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:39 PM

Went to the trackday at Llandow yesterday. The day was organised by www.motorsport-events.com who are very friendly and professional. There weren't all that many cars there (well it is February after all, and although it was dry it was pretty darn chilly) but there were about five Elises, about 7 Westfields (megablades and megabusas), a few caterfield-alike kit cars, plus some more mainstream road cars including a Puma, MX-5, New Accord :unsure: , Latest ITR (import, with trick seats and brakes), a tuned Mini and a stripped out Toyota Supra with a rollcage, slicks and 350bhp - but sadly precious little driver skill because they had two massive spins and weren't very quick :o The upside was there was plenty of room and no real crowding. After about three familiarisation laps in formation, for the first hour we were divided into three groups and each group had a 20 min session. After that, it was open pitlane. The circuit is flat and only 1450 metres long, but it's got a good mix of corners and you're concentrating on something at every point. That said, you learn it in about 4 laps and then spend time perfecting your lines and playing about with alternative options. It would be a good place for a meet because not only is it quite close to Cardiff (possible night out options I imagine), there's also an outdoor karting circuit right next to the race circuit. Hiring both for the day could be a lot of fun! The car circuit is IMO an ideal environment for VX trackday newbies to learn the ropes. Easy to learn, you'd have to get it spectacularly wrong (in the dry at least) to go off causing damage, and not a power circuit so it's relatively gentle on brakes. In my standard VXT I was using 2nd and 3rd for the corners, taking 4th on the two straights with a maximum speed of about 95mph on each straight. I got two sessions of instruction from Ed Moore (Formula Ford race-winner) who said some very nice things about my driving :) :) :) . Ed also drove about 4 laps in my car and enjoyed it, although he commented that it had quite a bit more understeer than he was expecting - which meant that in a couple of places you had to compromise on your entry speed to maximise your speed through the corner and out onto the next straight. It was good to meet Woody too - glad you survived the passengering experience! I was quite a bit quicker in the afternoon so that might have been more entertaining... ;) All in all, I'd very much recommend a visit to Llandow and would certainly be up for a return myself. Oh yeah - I also have two good pics of the car from the day (one featuring me and Woody in the car) on CD-Rom, taken by a photographer whose work is often published in Autosport and Autocar - but like Woody I have no idea how to load 'em up since I have no web page etc - so if anyone wants to host 'em, send me a PM... Stunters

#2 max

max

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:57 PM

Stuntman you have a pm cheers Max

#3 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

Just got off the phone to Tasha at Motorsport Events (booked my academy level 2 training day for March 20 :D ) and she mentioned the were a couple of very friendly VXers at Llandow. Glad Ed got the chance to try your VXT in the dry - He had a play in mine in October but it was wet. Did he mention he's seriously thinking about buying a VX? Tasha's definitely wants one so I'll try and pursuade him when I see him next month. Be great to have him as a member here.

#4 stuntman

stuntman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, performance poetry, rock music and proper driving

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:47 PM

Just got off the phone to Tasha at Motorsport Events.... and she mentioned the were a couple of very friendly VXers at Llandow. Glad Ed got the chance to try your VXT in the dry - He had a play in mine in October but it was wet. Did he mention he's seriously thinking about buying a VX? Tasha's definitely wants one so I'll try and pursuade him when I see him next month. Be great to have him as a member here.

Friendly? Too right! :D

Yep, they both mentioned they were considering and that Tasha would like one. I said to Ed that if Tasha wanted I'd take her out for some passenger laps and would even chuck her the keys - but I think they may have been too busy to take up the offer.

However I reckon that he may have been slightly put off by the understeer in the dry compared to (say) an Elise, not that I've driven or passengered an Elise on track. He was suggesting what mods I might like to make to my car once I've used it as standard to learn all the circuits around the country!

It's bang on for me at the moment in standard trim. I'm able to drive up to its limits in the dry without getting myself into any trouble. Perhaps in a year or so's time the lure of suspension, brakes and a remap will beckon - or perhaps I might just get an Exige :P

#5 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:13 PM

Anyone thinking of giving Llandow a go should go to www.motorsport-events.com and check out the trackday forum. There's some nice video footage of a couple of laps but beware those with dial-up as its a 21Mb file. Does look a nice circuit though. I reckon I'll be there before the summers over :D Edited cos I got the web address wrong :beat:

Edited by waverunner, 02 March 2004 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users